Wiki Posts
Search

Beach destination in December

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Beach destination in December

Heading to Asia in December with our 8-year old.
First stop is Tokyo, then Taipei for Xmas.
After Taipei, looking for a few days at the beach - leaving from Taipei, and then going heading to HK, which is where our flight back to the states leaves from.

Last year, we went to Khao Lak (JW Marriott) and loved it. He's also been to the JW in Phuket, and my wife and I have been to Penang.

Looking for someplace different this time. Would only be for 3-4 nights, I think, based on schedules.
- Have thought about Kota Kinabalu, and potentially one of the Shangri-La's there. Easy nonstop from Taipei and to Hong Kong on Air Asia (we've flown them before, no qualms)
- Have also looked at Cebu (Shangri-La Mactan Island), but couldn't find any easy flight options from Taipei. Flight back to HK is easy/nonstop.
- Palawan/Boracay doable for just a few nights?

We had originally talked about Vietnam/Cambodia before deciding to spend some time in Japan, so will probably save that part of Asia for another trip.

Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:00 pm
Suspended

December will best time to visit Southern East Asia, especially Vietnam. I think you should think more about the beautiful country with cheaper service's price for travel. In the season, you can visit almost destinations in Vietnam such as Mui Ne beach (Phan Thiet, Halong, Sapa, Ho Chi Minh city or nothern part of Vietnam.
Visit to read more wonderful places in Vietnam: https://www.vietnamtourbooking.com/en/
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Have you ever been Halong Bay, if not you should try, there are a lot of island to explore.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
With Vietnam I think Nha Trang is the busier beach destination (i.e. where the name-brand hotels are building), while Phu Quoc is still less-developed.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:50 am

Palawan (El Nido) from Manila is doable for 3-4 nights if you take the ITI/AirSwift flight. I think it runs around $200-350 round trip. It is out of a private hanger in the MNL airport.

Upside of El Nido is that the island hopping is amazing. Downside is that the hotel options are all over priced and lacking in quality. None are on a nice beach. I've only heard mediocre reviews of the El Nido resorts. We ended up staying on a private island, but it was time consuming to get to.

I really enjoyed visiting Cebu. Though I'm not sure about the area you suggested as it is next to the airport. I did the caynoning and whale shark experience. Which an 8 year old would probably love.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.