Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Connection Question

Connection Question

Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Connection Question

Hi all,

I'm on BA0033 (LHR - KUL) in a few months and hoping to head to SGN on a new itinerary after arrival.

Am I pushing it to make the last Air Asia flight at 19:40 if BA0033 is scheduled to arrive at 16:05?

Haven't been to KUL before so not sure if BA and Air Asia share a terminal.
Should i just wait until the next morning or is security, immigration and check in fairly straight forward?

Any opinions appreciated.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Different terminals, BA arrives into KLIA and Air Asia operates from the newly built KLIA2 [LCC terminal]

They are however connected by direct train link [KL Ekspres/KL Transit; cost is RM2 between terminals]

Ideally you want to make check in for Air Asia before 18:40 to make it comfortably.
Check in online before you leave LHR for the Air Asia flight, and then you just need to do bag drop at KLIA2 and clear immigration again. All fairly straight forward.

If your inbound BA flight isn't late I'd say this is highly possible to do this.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Thanks!

Flightaware shows BA0033 as being quite punctual so may give this a shot.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Thinking this through, I cannot see how you would miss this connection tbh

Some tips to make the transit go more smoothly:
When you arrive at KLIA2 [if you take the train], come up the escalators to the concourse, go through the turnstiles and turn left into the corridor, then right into the main mall. Keep walking through, skip the first set of escalators and keep walking to the right and forward, then up the last escalators - this brings you up directly into the departures area. Bag drop/document check counters are in Row V [check the screens to be sure]

I'd recommend paying for a Hotseat if you haven't already done so [under Manage My Booking on the AirAsia website] - cost is bugger all to skip the boarding queue and grab a decent seat in the front rows. Pre-booking a meal is worthwhile too - there's some excellent meal choices for AirAsia and they are cheaper to pre book.

Finally, KLIA2 is a huge terminal with long walking distances. I like it for a bit of exercise, but if you're feeling stuffed after coming in from the UK - then flag one of the complimentary golf carts just as you come through from immigration. Clearly signposted, and just wait a few minutes if there isn't one there as they come by regularly.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Super helpful, thank you very much.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:54 am

Yah no problem - I do KL frequently and am a bit of a nerd about working out the little shortcuts and comfort factors.

If you figure out any other queries ahead of your trip then post or PM me.

Cheers and happy travels
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
KLIA2 also has a brand new budget hotel owned by none other than Air Asia, and they have a great big (mainly fast food) mall between the hotel, street and airside. I stayed at this TUNE Hotel last year prior to my flight to Danang - very modern with a convenience store and restaurant, but no pool, and it is quite a walk from this area to your Air Asia gate. I was so glad to get out of Malaysia and into the welcoming arms of the Vietnamese once again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.