Luxury Bali - without the drunken idiots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Bali - without the drunken idiots

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines; Marriott; OneWorld
I'm a huge fan of Amankila in Candidasa (in the middle of the east coast). It's the heart of cultural Bali and, unlike Ubud, you have the ocean right there. If you like to scuba dive, Geko Dive in nearby Padang Bai is terrific. The food is sensational, and though the liquor is excellent, I never saw anyone loutish!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:10 am
formerly known as ravishah

Not read the thread so might have been posted - but if you want to swim in the sea Seminyak might not be the best place as it is much more surf ready sea.

We stayed in Ubud and Seminyak both at the Samaya villas loved them although having a hot tub in the searing heat was a bit redundant!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
For real bang-for-your-buck villa rentals have you considered Amed? Its a beautifully quiet town and the tourists are mostly European (not a drunken Australian accent to be heard anywhere). The beaches are black sand, the snorkeling/diving is fabulous. Plenty of good restaurants.
We were in Candidasa in March and couldn't wait to leave. I'm shocked so many people like it.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by melprof
I'm a huge fan of Amankila in Candidasa (in the middle of the east coast).
Price range: $800 - $1,371

Thanks, but no thanks...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by invisible
Price range: $800 - $1,371

Thanks, but no thanks...
Title of the thread is luxury Bali!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Title of the thread is luxury Bali!
Luxury does NOT have to cost that much in Bali!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
Luxury does NOT have to cost that much in Bali!
Agreed. I don't spend anywhere near that, but some people have different ideas of what luxury entitles. I have experience "luxury| in Bali anywhere from 100/night villa in Tulamben to 700/night villa in Seminyak. It's all personal preference.

Usually the last 10 times or so I'm just at the Holiday Inn Baruna.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think some people don't feel adequate unless they spend $1000 a night. Others are fine at a $100-200 villa. Luckily Bali has so many options.

Reminds of a rogue salesman who once worked for me. He doubled the price of our most expensive lock, and sold 5x more than we sold at the normal price.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:13 pm
Suspended

I'm at the Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa right now and it is marvelous. Very nice property with lovely gardens and a great pool along the beach.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I think some people don't feel adequate unless they spend $1000 a night. Others are fine at a $100-200 villa. Luckily Bali has so many options.

Reminds of a rogue salesman who once worked for me. He doubled the price of our most expensive lock, and sold 5x more than we sold at the normal price.
The idea that the top-tier properties in Bali that are $700+ / night have the same quality as $100-200 villas is far-fetched and beyond ridiculous.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by callmedtop
The idea that the top-tier properties in Bali that are $700+ / night have the same quality as $100-200 villas is far-fetched and beyond ridiculous.
We are not going to object your desire to spend $700+ per night in Bali. Thanks to people like you there are ample of options to stay in places for $100.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:13 pm

<deleted pointless facts, not worth it>

Last edited by DeepUnderground; Jul 4, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I never said they were same. Reread my post and get back to me.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
The great thing about Bali is the stunning amount of amazing hotels, and as far as I've seen no-one has made the implication you are making.

There are plenty of places I would call luxury and stayed at for US$200, but i've also stayed at numerous US$700-$900 properties.

I havn't stayed at any $700 hotels that are 3 1/2 X as good as some of the US$200 hotels I've been to though.

The idea that Luxury directly correlates to Amount Spent is not proven in Bali.

Nihiwatu (in Sumba) is one, if not my favourite hotel in Asia, and the standard is incredible considering how unique / off the beaten track it is. But you partly pay for the isolation in maintaining the quality - if you go as an a FS/Aman junkie you may well find minor issues you wouldn't find at the far more polished chain hotels, but you'd be missing the point of Nihiwatu.

Yet for Bali the two Samaya's as stated above are pretty much on point for me and the quality exceeds a couple of the more famous 'internationally branded' luxury chains with hotels. Some of the best service standards i've received have been at The Bale in Nusa Dua, far below US$700.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:51 pm
Suspended

I keep thinking I should have visited Bali perhaps 20 years ago. It has a lot of charm, but mass tourism is destroying what is left of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.