Luxury Bali - without the drunken idiots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Bali - without the drunken idiots

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

The Chedi Club in Ubud is really special.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-amankila.html

Oops, I see the beach is a requirement. Ubud is out (though, seriously, look at those pictures. It's sublime.) For a beach, consider the St Regis Bali.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

My friend recommend this Nihiwatu - Sumba island It's 50 mins flight from Bali.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Nusa Dua is probably what you want. It's the cloistered beach area with the more expensive high-end places.

IMO the biggest problem in Kuta isn't the other visitors, but all the aggressive hawkers and others trying to eke out a living. You see them in a few other places as well, but Kuta is the epicenter.

I've always told people who say they like Australians that they have to go out on the town around Kuta before they can say that, but really if you went to college and saw frat parties it's nothing that new. And all that is much more easily avoided than the hawkers.

Ubud is much better generally, but no beach. Sanur has a beach but gets too much spillover from Kuta. Nusa Dua is likely your place.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I think someone else already mentioned Seminyak, that's where I'd recommend. We stayed in a great villa there, it's quieter than Kuta but not too quiet - no revolting 20 year old Aussies or middle-aged American or European man-boob types, and some very nice Balinese restaurants. Close to Kuta if you know the area, but without the horrors. Just a 20 minute cab ride (or a 10 minute walk ) away.

If I can find the name of the villa we stayed at I'll PM a link to you.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I think someone else already mentioned Seminyak, that's where I'd recommend. We stayed in a great villa there, it's quieter than Kuta but not too quiet - no revolting 20 year old Aussies or middle-aged American or European man-boob types, and some very nice Balinese restaurants. Close to Kuta if you know the area, but without the horrors. Just a 20 minute cab ride (or a 10 minute walk ) away.

Thanks!

I agree, I don't want it so quiet but I do want to see some local stuff.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Butler?

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi

Jumping in on this thread, thanks for all the suggestions (for my lurker self). Was considering Alilah Uluwatu, Kubu Villas, St. Regis. Ideally looking for a place on the beach, with private pool, and butler, prefer not to pay the $800 USD the St. Regis requires for this type of room. Wife loves the beach, I'm a sucker for pools, we both love luxurious places. This is for our honeymoon so we will be splurging. Hoping 5 days in one portion of Island (Seminyak, Ubud, Nusa Dua) and 2 more in another of the above three portions to relax before flying home to NY through Hong Kong. Any experience at the Hanging Gardens Ubud?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by AspiringWorldTraveler
Jumping in on this thread, thanks for all the suggestions (for my lurker self). Was considering Alilah Uluwatu, Kubu Villas, St. Regis. Ideally looking for a place on the beach, with private pool, and butler, prefer not to pay the $800 USD the St. Regis requires for this type of room. Wife loves the beach, I'm a sucker for pools, we both love luxurious places. This is for our honeymoon so we will be splurging. Hoping 5 days in one portion of Island (Seminyak, Ubud, Nusa Dua) and 2 more in another of the above three portions to relax before flying home to NY through Hong Kong. Any experience at the Hanging Gardens Ubud?

Thanks!
I'd check out this trip report. Not the hanging gardens, but will give you an idea of ubud.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ila-chedi.html
Old Mar 26, 2016, 4:38 am

If you want to avoid the drunken 20 year olds, avoid Kuta.
If you want to avoid drunken everyone else, avoid Seminyak. HA!

I have stayed in Seminyak and my impression is that those who used to go to Kuta as backpackers, now go to Seminyak as they have a bit of money.

For some quiet I would stay in the Nusa Dua area -- St Regis has been mentioned and it is a really well run chain. If you see some of my food reviews, you can see that I've eaten at the St Regis in Singapore
Brasserie Les Saveurs and Yan Tingl and was really impressed with the experience. You really pay for it, but if the Bali hotel is as good as the Singapore one, I think you can say it will be a good experience.

I would also consider the Mulia Hotel, which is also in the Nusa Dua area, just not in the Nusa Dua complex.
They have villas as well. And the hotel fronts onto the beach.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

Where would you stay in Seminyak if you like beachfront but Oberoi/Legian is too expensive?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Where would you stay in Seminyak if you like beachfront but Oberoi/Legian is too expensive?
East coast of Bali, which is quite remote and much less developed (fishing villages are still the prime local employment). About 3 hour drive from airport now (used to be 6, road is improved). I prefer Amed, but start at Candidasa (more touristy and maybe more what most expect). Mix of small hotels, B&B and villa accomodation at all price points but generally 1/4 the Seminyak price. Just don't expect shopping malls or traffic jams or wall to wall bars
Old May 1, 2016, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I'm happy to pay for quality. I looked at the Oberoi and Legian.

My husband has now decided he doesn't want to go to Bali. Looks like we are going to Hong Kong and Singapore. He wants to somehow get to Cambodia too.

I've got everything in the memory bank tho.

Thanks all.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Definitely avoid the W if you want to avoid drunken idiots. And I'm not just talking about W in Bali. I think you'll find many drunken people in beach resorts. If you want to avoid them, stay in Ubud, where you'll be annoyed by hipsters instead.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Annalisa12

My husband has now decided he doesn't want to go to Bali. Looks like we are going to Hong Kong and Singapore. He wants to somehow get to Cambodia too.

I've got everything in the memory bank tho.

Thanks all.

I like Singapore, but find it a bit sterile for my taste.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Those are $400 and $500/night for my dates. No thanks.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I like Singapore, but find it a bit sterile for my taste.
Been there before. Just going to relax for a few days and maybe a bit of shopping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.