Wiki Posts
Search

SGN overnight layover

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I would opt for an even $100. Taxi from the airport to hotel will already be $15-20, so roundtrip is $30-40, leaving you with $60-70 to spend.

It's been a few years since I was in HCMC but I seem to recall paying ~110,000D (~$5) from the airport to the Renaissance.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:52 am

Stayed near Ben thanh 2 weeks ago, was 140,000-150,000 from airport.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I would opt for an even $100. Taxi from the airport to hotel will already be $15-20, so roundtrip is $30-40, leaving you with $60-70 to spend.

I forget how late it runs, but there's the night market outside of Ben Thanh you could go check out for late night eats, beer, and random gifts. It's virtually on the way to Bui Vien, where stuff is definitely open later.

I wouldn't walk on the way back, all you'll get to see are shuttered storefronts, not very attractive. A taxi from Bui Vien back to the Ren should be in the neighborhood of $1-2.

One more word of caution: There are counterfeit taxis out there that are colored like the big companies, so make sure the exact words "Vinasun" or "MaiLinh" are on the cab, as well as their respective phone numbers (Vinasun: 38 27 27 27; MaiLinh: 38 26 26 26).

Also, Vinasun only runs two types of vehicles: A Toyota Innova (7pax minivan) or Toyota Limo (5-pax compact car). Anything else is fake. MaiLinh runs the same two models plus a couple other different ones.

Finally, always make note of the cab number and/or driver's ID.
The taxi from SGN to The Ren cost me 150k and with the recent 1% deval Id say $8 US tops $16 r/t it cost me in Jan to catch the same UA flight out 135k I landed at 1am and left at 5am

Id venture to say $100 is way too much unless the OP is gonna be downing top premium booze. The good thing is there are exchange booths I used airside that gave me back almost what I paid for my dong

OP its still nice to check out even thou closed both The Palace and Post Office and your ride to The Ren can accomplish that by asking the driver they both should be lit up
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:21 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I have used USD (mostly singles) during my last 20+ trips to Saigon. I don't change into Dong and have never had an issue.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by craz
The taxi from SGN to The Ren cost me 150k and with the recent 1% deval Id say $8 US tops $16 r/t it cost me in Jan to catch the same UA flight out 135k I landed at 1am and left at 5am

Id venture to say $100 is way too much unless the OP is gonna be downing top premium booze. The good thing is there are exchange booths I used airside that gave me back almost what I paid for my dong

OP its still nice to check out even thou closed both The Palace and Post Office and your ride to The Ren can accomplish that by asking the driver they both should be lit up
I did estimate high to be safe (and I was stuck in traffic last time, so the time probably counted against me).

If OP really is coming back to Vietnam sometime soon, I think whatever is left over from that $100 will be a good running start for that next trip. I have 500,000d left over for next time so I can arrive, pay the taxi, check into the hotel, and grab lunch/coffee before having to worry about hitting an ATM. Personal choice though.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's been a few years since I was in HCMC but I seem to recall paying ~110,000D (~$5) from the airport to the Renaissance.
Similar experience here. I paid 110,000 VND from Tan Son Nhut airport to Rex Hotel on Aug 7 2015 around 1030pm.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: https://tripformi.com/
I would avoid Bui Vien if you are trying to get a vibe for the city. You are better off walking around district one, if you still want to see a market check out Cho Ben Thanh's night market (Closes around 10 or 11 I believe). Feel free to PM me if you want some details or other ideas.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i have an almost identical layover at the ren as OP in a month (although i have a full 24 hours), so i didn't want to start a new thread. a couple questions:

i arrive SGN at 2330 on a sunday night. should i spring for the $15 "fast track" immigration service that my VOA company (vietnamvisacorp.com) offers? i'd like to be at the ren before the lounge closes, but i don't think that will happen regardless.

where should i change USD/HKD to dong? i would take GB's advice and just use USD, but i'm going on a vespa tour the next day and don't have to be back at SGN until almost midnight. would dong be more convenient in my case? TIA!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton

i arrive SGN at 2330 on a sunday night. should i spring for the $15 "fast track" immigration service that my VOA company (vietnamvisacorp.com) offers? i'd like to be at the ren before the lounge closes, but i don't think that will happen regardless.

where should i change USD/HKD to dong? i would take GB's advice and just use USD, but i'm going on a vespa tour the next day and don't have to be back at SGN until almost midnight. would dong be more convenient in my case? TIA!
That late at night, "fast track" is a waste of money.

There are ATM machines at the airport. I usually withdraw from ATM after arrival. Otherwise, your hotel or even your tour operator will gladly change your USD.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by imm2b
That late at night, "fast track" is a waste of money.

There are ATM machines at the airport. I usually withdraw from ATM after arrival. Otherwise, your hotel or even your tour operator will gladly change your USD.
Agreed, don't waste time on fast track that time of night. Currently there are 6 international arrivals in the 10pm hour (3 widebodies and 3 narrowbodies), and 2 more in the 11pm hour (both narrowbodies). All those people should be cleared out by then.

The only reason I would pay for fast-track is if you were in the way back of the plane... then you pay to cut in front of everyone else from your flight picking up their VOA.

Also, last time I found the exchange rate at the Ren to be very reasonable and worth the convenience if you're already there.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
thanks for the help!

my tour gets done around 3p, so i figure i'll take up the pool at the ren for a couple of hours and then grab noodles at the place just north of ben thanh that IceTrojan mentioned.

would the walk from the ren to the airport be advised around 9pm? my flight to NRT leaves at midnight - i'm thinking i'd sleep a lot better in Y if i got in a good walk before the flight.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:15 pm
Suspended

would the walk from the ren to the airport be advised around 9pm? my flight to NRT leaves at midnight - i'm thinking i'd sleep a lot better in Y if i got in a good walk before the flight.
I wouldnt even think of doing that walk,especially when cabs are $8 max, and you are gonna get all sweated up. Id say walk around Dist 1 and then grab a shower at the Ren and head to the airport. If you would have already checked out, I would ask the FD to hold my bags and offer to pay alittle something to use the pools shower or better book a massage and shower afterwards
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I wouldnt even think of doing that walk,especially when cabs are $8 max, and you are gonna get all sweated up. Id say walk around Dist 1 and then grab a shower at the Ren and head to the airport. If you would have already checked out, I would ask the FD to hold my bags and offer to pay alittle something to use the pools shower or better book a massage and shower afterwards
Agreed. The idea of walking around Ben Thanh Market in D1 is much better. The road to the airport is not really conductive for walking.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Also agree... I personally don't enjoy the idea of basting in my own juices for 4-5 hours on the plane (and if it's one of the Japanese carriers, the heat will be turned up).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
thanks for the help!

my tour gets done around 3p, so i figure i'll take up the pool at the ren for a couple of hours and then grab noodles at the place just north of ben thanh that IceTrojan mentioned.

It depends. It's quite an easy straightforward walk. Very good sidewalks all the way. Perfectly safe or at least as safe as HCMC gets. On the other hand, you will work up a bit of sweat even at that time of the evening. If it were I, I'd walk in to town, and then get a massage/shower at the hotel and take a cab back to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.