Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

CNY in Malaysia: Places less likely to be crowded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

I'm thinking of spending the Chinese New Year in peninsular Malaysia next year. Just wondering if there are any quiet, non-urban places that won't be crowded with get-awayers from Singapore or wherever? East coast, west coast? Would Penang be crowded (not that it isn't already crowded and congested with locals)?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Does it specifically have to be non-urban? KL is actually lovely during CNY as what seems like half the city goes off elsewhere on holiday. On the flip side, I would assume Penang gets pretty crowded with Penang folks returning home, as well as with visitors from KL and Singapore.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:59 am

non-urban in Malaysia. No chance. If you want a decent get away during CNY then your best bet in SE would be Phil. I don't think many Chinese are traveling to Phil lately becuase of the dispute in S. China sea.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Would Kuching be an option?

I know it's not on the peninsula but I spent some time there last week - had only been once before 12 years ago - and it's lovely. Reminds me of peninsula Malaysia 20 years ago...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
East coast might be just drying up after the monsoon but being multicultural, most resorts will have non chinese holidaying. For the chinese, the first day is usually spent at home so the second day of CNY is when most travel, some on the 3rd day. Suspect the islands of Terengganu might be your best bet....slightly further away from Spore. But Feb is tail end monsoon, some days choppy sea, some days sunny.

Plus side for overseas visitors...the RM has tanked so bring your dollars over and splurge.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by L Lam
East coast might be just drying up after the monsoon but being multicultural, most resorts will have non chinese holidaying. For the chinese, the first day is usually spent at home so the second day of CNY is when most travel, some on the 3rd day. Suspect the islands of Terengganu might be your best bet....slightly further away from Spore. But Feb is tail end monsoon, some days choppy sea, some days sunny.

Plus side for overseas visitors...the RM has tanked so bring your dollars over and splurge.
Traditions call for family together.

The New China has learned from HKers to travel during this extended holidays. Since it is cold in China/HK, SingMaThai resorts get crowded with tourist from these areas.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
CNY appears to be celebrated for about two weeks or so in Malaysia. I was in Georgetown on Penang last year about 10 days after what was the day of Chinese New Year. There were still celebrations and decorations. Even in Singapore a few days later, there were dragons chasing away evil spirits from the businesses in the malls. So maybe picking up the tail end of the celebrations might give you fewer people with still the celebrations still going on.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Would Penang be crowded
For the 3-4 days on and around CNY, yes it will be VERY crowded. Lots of Chinese working in KL and SG still have their 'roots' in Penang and a big chunk of them go back every CNY to crowd up the streets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.