Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling from USA to South Korea with 2 laptops

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Traveling from USA to South Korea with 2 laptops

Hello! I'm a student at a USA university that is looking to travel this coming semester to Korea. I have two laptops I would like to bring. One that I normally use for school and one I use for personal and work. How do I find out if I can bring both of these devices when traveling to South Korea and then return with them to the US in December?

I also have an iPad I would like to bring along but I'm going to assume that two laptops and an iPad is out of the question.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I don't think you'll have any problems taking your laptops and iPad. You don't plan to sell them, they are used, and many people have a work computer and personal computer and an iPad.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I don't think you'll have any problems taking your laptops and iPad. You don't plan to sell them, they are used, and many people have a work computer and personal computer and an iPad.
Okay that is reassuring, I've been very worried about Korean customs seizing my equipment. Neither computer would be easy to replace once I've left the us. I was planning to take both laptops in a carry on since they fit nicely together in a single laptop bag that I have.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:57 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Harrian
Okay that is reassuring, I've been very worried about Korean customs seizing my equipment. Neither computer would be easy to replace once I've left the us. I was planning to take both laptops in a carry on since they fit nicely together in a single laptop bag that I have.
I don't understand why you would be worried about that. Can you explain?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I moved to Shanghai late last year. Brought two laptops in my laptop bag plus a Kindle and iPad plus a third laptop in my carryon. Unless you're acting suspicious, why would the Korean authorities find out when you exit customs?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:02 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I moved to Shanghai late last year. Brought two laptops in my laptop bag plus a Kindle and iPad plus a third laptop in my carryon. Unless you're acting suspicious, why would the Korean authorities find out when you exit customs?
Why would they care?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I don't understand why you would be worried about that. Can you explain?
Mostly because this is my first time traveling internationally and also my first time traveling alone. I'm close to graduating school and the job I use the laptop for is my first major job.

The company gave it to me because I had to use their laptop specifically to work on their systems and I began to use it for personal use as well because it made things simpler that way. So the possibly of losing it makes me nervous.

On the other hand the school laptop is one given to be by my home university and is expensive but useful for many school projects.

The biggest thing that worries me is that there is no clear online reference for Korean Customs directed at incoming travelers who are staying for a prolonged period.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
The only countries where I've ever had this kind of problem have tended to be dictatorships (Fiji being the last place), and even then a simple "One is for work, and the other is personal" explanation will normally suffice. People do carry around two laptops, and two (or more) phones these days.

Oh, and I should add that even if you do have a problem with customs, the worst that should happen is they'll assess one laptop for import duty. Be aware of the current cost of these devices, and ensure you are able to pay.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's move this to the South Korea forum...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Once I took four laptops and two ipads in my carry-on. Except a time required to unload-put them back at security - nobody cared.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You don't have to worry about anything and no problem to add an iPad on top
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT Globalist, Marriott GLD, Car National Exe
I once took 7 laptops back from CH to US, 5 in a carryon roller, 2 in laptop bag. My Company based in CH, They were upgrading for everyone here in US. I went through customs with no Problem, they asked and I told them the truth.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Korean customs absolutely does not care about Americans coming from America haha. If it's in your hand, they will never stop you. Ever. They just look at the paper and say thank you. They're far more concerned with other Asians and their duty free shopping binges.

I went through customs last week in Vietnam. Oddly, I went through an area with a scanner. They stopped me, asked where I was coming from and said ok, no scanner.

Even then, 1 work, 1 personal. It doesn't matter. Just don't have them in sealed packaging if they're new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.