Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

New Year in Vietnam--itinerary ideas?

Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat/2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist. PA WorldPass

Ms. ClipperJCM and I are off to Vietnam for an adventure spanning the new year. We arrive in Da Nang on Dec. 28 and fly home from SGN on January 6 (thus nine nights, total, to spend on the ground). We've been to Vietnam once before and spent a great trip hitting the highlights in HCMC, Hanoi and Ha Long Bay--so we'd like to focus much more time in (presumably warmer?) Central and Southern Vietnam.

Right now, the plan is:

Nights 1-4: Hoi An
Nights 5-7: Hue
Nights 8-9: HCMC (we loved the city but didn't spend much time the last trip, so would love to stay and maybe visit the Cu Chi Tunnels).

I'm wondering whether that plan commits us to too much time in and around the Hoi An/Da Nang/Hue environs. We'd love to do some day trips--and spending some time at the beach or pool would be very welcome during such a long trip--but don't want to commit to spend too much time in places that won't occupy us for several days. Any suggestions for how to maximize the itinerary? Had been thinking about Nha Trang and Phu Quoc Island, respectively, but keep coming upon information that suggests the time (and effort to get there) would be best spent elsewhere. Is it worth looking into some kind of side trip to Laos?

Right now, we're only really locked into the arrival and departure coordinates--so open to good ideas. Thanks so much for the guidance!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Hoi An is really wonderful, and I know it quite well after 3 trips (7 trips to Vietnam). I was last there in March '15, and stayed at a wonderful little hotel (Riverside Impression Homestay). I'm not a big fan at all of Hue, and unless you're a history buff, you might not like it either. Your problem with the north central coast could be weather in Jan - could be cooler and overcast. I usually go in March or November when it's wonderful. I don't care for Nha Trang at all - beach is good, but I really hate that city (no good food for one thing!)

You might not have considered Quy Nhon - it's the sleeper of Vietnam (off the tourist trail) and wonderful. This small city is ultra-friendly to Americans and probably the cheapest place on the coast, but very little English spoken there. I loved it, and will be returning. You might look at a little place a bit further south in the village of Bai Xep called Haven Vietnam - aka paradise lost! Quy Nhon has VN airline service from SGN and HAN.

Luang Prabang is wonderful/beautiful, but for such a short trip it would be rather expensive (over $300. roundtrip from Hanoi). LP is always warm year round - I've been there twice.

Last edited by Daawgon; Jul 1, 2015 at 11:04 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat/2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist. PA WorldPass
Daawgon--Thanks so much for the suggestion; I hadn't really been thinking much of Quy Nhon (but it sounds ideal--and likely much more convenient than heading all the way to Phu Quoc). How feasible is this plan?:

Nights 1-4: Hoi An

Nights 5-6: Hue (car or train from Hue An the first day; maybe DMZ tour on second day?)

Nights 7-8: Quy Nhon (earliest I think we can arrive on first day, flying through SGN, is 3pm. Would depart 3:45pm, two days later)

Night 9: SGN (unfortunately our departure flight from Vietnam is 11:30 the following morning, and connections that morning just won't work)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Just be careful what you eat over there. While people don't steal their neighbors pets and eat them in the first world, it's not uncommon over there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peop...ese-stall.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.