Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Experiences with ferry from Baku to Aktau, Kazakhstan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

I have read that there's no sure way to know when the ferry will leave, but that there are generally 1-2 departures in every 7-10 day span. I am fairly flexible, but I would prefer not to be stuck in Baku for 10 days if at all possible. Anyone have any tips on how to get the real info on when the ships will be departing / tickets in advance?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Just curious why you want to do this?

Bike or other possessions you can't transport on plane?

I read how irregular the routes can be and how you must remain on standby until the captain comes a calling. Also it sounds as if no open port space is available upon arrival you may be stuck a few more days in limbo.

Sounds like quite a hassle!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
for the experience, the hassle is part of it.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Never did this myself but researched extensively on the topic as it is still a dream of mine to do one day.

Your best bet, it seems, is contacting a local couchsurfer there friendly enough to give them a call and keep you updated. I'd do it a month before coming into the area.

If you can speak Russian then no need to find someone. Or, if you can find an e-mail for the company that might be good enough. I could of sworn there was e-mail somewhere on lonely planet of a contact at the ferry company, unfortunately I didn't save it.

Good luck! When you get back be sure to post your findings here for future use!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Looked into it about 4 years ago, even in AZ noone seemed to have a clue. Ended up flying LH GYDASB instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.