What are your hidden jems of S.E. Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your hidden jems of S.E. Asia?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Do you mean Bunaken (and) or the actual city of Manado?

Except for the food IMO, there's not much going on in Manado.
Also, if anyone is looking to lose his/her lunch, a visit to Tomohon market should be in the cards.
Well, I meant Manado as a base to explore north Sulawesi. There's so much to do there, diving, wildlife, volcanoes, indigienous communities...I don't know why Sulawesi doesn't have a better tourist infrastructure. It doesn't lack anything that Bali has...yet the authorities never seem to promote it.

For example, getting to/from Tana Toraja - a drive for HOURS and HOURS from Makassar and then and even longer drive up to Manado, unless you turn back to Makassar and fly to Manado. Would be good for an A320-equipped airport at Rantepao to be built one day (central Sulawesi), and not just a dodgy air strip for light aircraft. I won't get my hopes up though!
Old May 23, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Yogyakarta and Manado in Indonesia.

Koh Chang in Thailand

Mergui Archieplago and Ngapali Beach in Myanmar
Have you been to Mergui Islands? Any recommendations on where how?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: most of them
I fell in love with Yogya too but I'm not sure it is considered a "hidden gem" exactly.

In Thailand I really liked the area around Sukhothai and Phitsanulok. Some interesting national parks there and Sukhothai at Loy Krathong was fantastic.

And I found time in Isaan also interesting with visits to Phimai which I really liked a lot and Phnom Rung and Muang Tom. (Actually I just came across this website called http://www.khmer-temple.com/ for those interested in temple hopping). And even Khorat where I was based was nice in that provinicial Thai capital sort of way.

In Cambodia I went to Kep and Kampot a few years ago. The infrastructure was fairly undeveloped there still at the time. And the very bumpy ride up and down Bokor Mountain wasn't especially fun, but the ruins on top were interesting.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:28 pm

The gili islands live in the shadow of bali.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:36 pm

My Son and Sapa in Vietnam for me. My Son is an important archaeological site and ne of S.E. Asia’s most notable heritage sites. Sapa is surrounded by lush green mountains and full with healthy rice paddies and gushing waterfalls. The scenery was incredible and really took my breath away! You can also do trekking there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.