Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about flying USA to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Question about flying USA to Asia

Hello, i am pretty new when it comes to flying and traveling but this year i am planning to do lots of it so i am here to hopefully get some information from some more experienced people

I live on the east coast of the US and so far have only been to mexico (That was easy it's pretty close and straight forward)

Long story short i am very interested in visiting southeast Asia, I've spent a few days trying to research flights and see my best options but so far the cheapest i've been able to find was approx $1,350 for a round-trip (around $700 one way) The time of year on which i leave and destination inside southeast asia is not a huge deal because i plan to do a lot of Motoing about but Cambodia does hold the most interest as of now so i was looking at flights to the captial of PP.

Basically i am wondering if i am pretty terrible at finding deals or if its pretty normal to have to pay approx $700 USD just to fly one way from US to Southeast Asia. Also open to any advice on best time of the year to do this, i realize the Rainy season is around the corner, perhaps the time of the year also has a big factor of price? This area is very appealing and affordable but if its normal to have to pay this much for a flight perhaps i need 2 think up a better starter destination?

Anyways any information is greatly appreciated
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: most of them
I would guess the highest prices would be during high season which is more or less Nov-Jan. But these days I am not surprised if $1350 is just what it costs. I have seen sales and deals pop up under $1000 now and then. But typically that is to BKK and SIN. By the time you add on a flight to PNH or REP it probably works out around the same.

This is why collecting points/miles is a good idea. I haven't paid for a ticket to SE Asia in several years. I just use miles to fly F or C class. When you are traveling for 24 hours or so to get there you want to be as comfortable as you can.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I would guess the highest prices would be during high season which is more or less Nov-Jan. But these days I am not surprised if $1350 is just what it costs. I have seen sales and deals pop up under $1000 now and then. But typically that is to BKK and SIN. By the time you add on a flight to PNH or REP it probably works out around the same.

This is why collecting points/miles is a good idea. I haven't paid for a ticket to SE Asia in several years. I just use miles to fly F or C class. When you are traveling for 24 hours or so to get there you want to be as comfortable as you can.
Yeah im so focused on the money part have not even considered a flight of this length could get quiet uncomfortable.....Hmm, thanks for the input.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by glennaa11

For the past few yrs Ive paid sub $1k to SIN,HKG,SGN etc etc in both Jan & Feb. Cheapest usually around Chinese NewYrs when biz folks dont travel since most businesses are closed. For REP or PNH Avios oput of HKG is the way to go. Weather wise its the best time as its warm or hot but not boiling
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've seen some good prices pop up from time to time. You could set a date alert on kayak. But $1300 is a decent price. As the previous poster suggested you could churn a couple of credit cards for enough points to fly. Once you get there it's fairly cheap
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: various
Unfortunately, from the eastern part of the USA to SE Asia, $1300 is pretty common for a round trip ticket. In general, the most expensive times of the year for airfares, in both directions are: July, August, the period from Dec 15 to Jan 10. If you can avoid traveling during those periods, that will help. It is usually more expensive to go via Europe than straight TPAC, but on rare occasions you can find some specials via some Europe or mid-East connectors (esp Emirates via DXB to BKK). Sometimes, you can find something for $900-1000.

For Cambodia, you can price flights to PNH, but you need to not get overfocused on that and consider proxies such as BKK and SIN from which you can get short-haul, relatively inexpensive flights. Or from BKK, you can travel overland for cheap. But if you are going to multiple countries in the region, keep all options open. It will usually be cost-effective to "open-jaws" a round trip ticket rather than doing a straight round trip. An open jaws is something like: JFK-SIN + SGN-JFK. It is almost always cheaper to structure this way than to buy two separate one-way tickets.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Welcome to FT freeloz!

Prices certainly do fluctuate; so, check constantly. Also, have you used ITA matrix to search? It is a favorite search tool of many here.

If you are interested in seeing an example of flying in business class to Cambodia using points and miles, feel free to check out my trip report where I detail all of the miles and points used (and money spent): Palaces, Temples, Boats & Beaches! *A TPAC & TATL in J (TG A380 US BR & UA) & PG in Y
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the Info, i noticed if i do wait till next month to leave then it seems closer to $1500 so perhaps i should just take the $1300ish and go for it

Edit: So far i have found the best price with Qatar
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by craz
For the past few yrs Ive paid sub $1k to SIN,HKG,SGN etc etc in both Jan & Feb. Cheapest usually around Chinese NewYrs when biz folks dont travel since most businesses are closed. For REP or PNH Avios oput of HKG is the way to go. Weather wise its the best time as its warm or hot but not boiling
Yes but Chinese New year is not a good time to be a tourist in Asia.

Originally Posted by freeloz
Thanks everyone for the Info, i noticed if i do wait till next month to leave then it seems closer to $1500 so perhaps i should just take the $1300ish and go for it

Edit: So far i have found the best price with Qatar
Your best bet will probably be the middle east airlines for the best rate. I'm getting about 1,100 to IAH in the summer but 1200-1300 should be the norm.

You can try and fly into Hong Kong or NRT and then to a LCC into SE Asia for cheap. ONce you get into asia plently of cheap travel options for you to choose from via air, train and bus.

Air Asia now has a program where you can basically by coupons to be used within 30 or 60 days which allows you to book fly up to 7 days in advance. It is cheap and flexable.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by freeloz
So far i have found the best price with Qatar
Probably want to take a look at Emirates as well if you haven't already done so.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'd look at flying into pretty much any major SE Asia city. Getting to PNH or REP (or wherever), usually on a local carrier, is relatively easy and cheap once you're in the general vicinity.

For example, don't know specifically about originating off the east coast, but Cathay currently has some very nice round trip Econ fares LAX-BKK in the low to mid $700 range in August. Also look for China Eastern as I believe I may have seen some similar fares there. Those would have been popping up on ITA matrix in the last week or so while searching on behalf of one of my kids.

Good luck, and safe travels!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Yeah that's understandable, i get confused trying to get quotes with these two company's because it seem's neither of them are able to offer flights directly from BWI airport and the flights i have checked to other parts of Asia so i could then use the cheaper asian flights that were suggested were really expensive. I probably should have added i'm attempting to depart via BWI in maryland. (If i had to drive a couple hours to VA or something to save $ on the flight its a option)

If someone does know a better method of getting from BWI MD > Phnom Penh or Siem reap that would be amazing because this is a lot of money for me but if its around the same price i am probably better off sticking to Qatar since i may have less problems of messing something up along the way using the same company haha.

I will keep researching and checking this thread for a few days but so far my best option is......... $1,341 (before tax and etc) Total Duration : 38:55 hrs / i think like 26 hours in the air? Leaving early may returning early june.

So much time flying and so much $ i'm praying there is a better option haha....either way thanks a ton for all the help so far, the hunt continues....
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'd look at flying into pretty much any major SE Asia city. Getting to PNH or REP (or wherever), usually on a local carrier, is relatively easy and cheap once you're in the general vicinity.

For example, don't know specifically about originating off the east coast, but Cathay currently has some very nice round trip Econ fares LAX-BKK in the low to mid $700 range in August. Also look for China Eastern as I believe I may have seen some similar fares there. Those would have been popping up on ITA matrix in the last week or so while searching on behalf of one of my kids.

Good luck, and safe travels!
Dang i wish i could find a price like that going from the east coast
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:37 am

Have found JFK-BKK departing mid October and returning 1 month later for $1008 USD on EK. IAD-BKK $1085.

Also JFK-BKK mid August, September and October for as low as $814 on Cathay

Last edited by Firemansam; Apr 28, 2015 at 1:42 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Air Asia now has a program where you can basically by coupons to be used within 30 or 60 days which allows you to book fly up to 7 days in advance. It is cheap and flexable.
Fine prints said subjected to availability. Not all seats on all flights are offered for this program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.