Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 5* hotel in Kuala Lumpur ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

In early July we will stopover in KUL for 4 days-3 nights. I will pay with BA Avios points. Any suggestions for a top-notch hotel? Lots to choose from from the BAEC hotel-booking site.

TIA
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
There are loads of 5*. I'm going to go against the grain, and recommend a 4* though!

I think that the Petronas Tower View Rooms at Traders offer the best views in KUL - with great location (upgrade to Club if you want a more 5* experience) - if it's your first stay they are fab.

I prefer them to the RC, Shangers, recently stayed at The Majestic - they are all good 5* KL experiences. What is it you normally look for - service / views / location / chocolate buffets etc i'll try and give you a 5* to suit!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
^ +1 re: Trader's best view of the twin towers.

We did not stay as I have loyalty elsewhere but was recommended to head there by trusted local for a afternoon drink and an evening drink on two different dates.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
There are loads of 5*. I'm going to go against the grain, and recommend a 4* though!

I think that the Petronas Tower View Rooms at Traders offer the best views in KUL - with great location (upgrade to Club if you want a more 5* experience) - if it's your first stay they are fab.

I prefer them to the RC, Shangers, recently stayed at The Majestic - they are all good 5* KL experiences. What is it you normally look for - service / views / location / chocolate buffets etc i'll try and give you a 5* to suit!
Yes, a club room at Traders with a Towers view is lovely, especially if it's your first trip to KL. The food at the Sky Bar is pretty dire though so avoid eating there.

Mandarin Oriental has a lovely outdoor pool but the Towers views aren't as good as Traders and MO is considerably more expensive.

I also like the Shang but the location isn't as good (although handy for my KL office which is why I stay there!).

Traders is the way to go!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I haven't stayed at the Traders though I agree the SkyBar view is fantastic. However, given that the Traders is Shangri-la's midmarket diffusion brand, if you want somewhere that's both 5* and has a view of the Petronas Towers, then the Grand Hyatt fits the bill.

As for a leftfield suggestion, I love the setting of the Carcosa, but it's not the best location unless you like your morning walks/jogs.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:19 am
Original Poster

I REALLY appreciate the advice/opinions given so far.

I was first in KL when hitch-hiking (Penang to Singapore) in 1971. My, my -- KL has certainly changed from the quiet country town it was in those distant times.

Two years ago my travelling companion and I were in KL before going to the Cameron Highlands, Taman Negara and the Perhentians. Now she and I will spend another week+ in the Perhentians just chilling out from "work" before going to Australia for their winter

In the future, I may retire in Malaysia (MM2H program), but in the meantime ... Malaysia seems like such a quiet and gentle place. Time will tell but time is moving along: 65+ now, still healthy (but a Type 1 diabetic) and ....

Those hotels sure are beckoning for a short luxurious stay
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:05 am

In which case....

You have anywhere in Perhentian's you'd care to recommend? I visited a long time ago - was there for New Year and the boat journey was horrific. Nice beach huts, beautiful beaches and restaurants that serve turtle egg omlettes

But I may be able to head back (in dry season!) and would like to revisit? I did a brief search, saw one horrendous new build (carpets?!) and a lot of places with dodgy service. Any small special places on either Kecil Or Besar?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
In which case....

You have anywhere in Perhentian's you'd care to recommend? I visited a long time ago - was there for New Year and the boat journey was horrific. Nice beach huts, beautiful beaches and restaurants that serve turtle egg omlettes

But I may be able to head back (in dry season!) and would like to revisit? I did a brief search, saw one horrendous new build (carpets?!) and a lot of places with dodgy service. Any small special places on either Kecil Or Besar?
Booked New Cocohut Chalet by the beach (30 meters or so) on Perhentian Besar Island. We were at this place 2 years ago and enjoyed it. So, we decided to return to chill out. Perhaps some day trips to the adjacent (smaller) island. Then on to KL for several days.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
Booked New Cocohut Chalet by the beach (30 meters or so) on Perhentian Besar Island. We were at this place 2 years ago and enjoyed it. So, we decided to return to chill out. Perhaps some day trips to the adjacent (smaller) island. Then on to KL for several days.
Thanks ^

Work virus checked has identified their website as malware and blocked it, but i'll check it out later!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:09 am

I would recommend the Grand Hyatt. Only opened 2 years ago and right next to the PETRONAS Towers.

You should look at the YouTube user MrKesavaraj for some detailed guided tours of KL hotels:

Mandarin Oriental: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWjR4cEc5So

Shangri-La: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zotv90a2Ac8

Hilton, KL Sentral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5qVQJKSV5c
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:04 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
We always stay at the Traders!

But we did make the unfortunate mistake once of accepting the MH free stopover where we got put up in the Berjaya Times Square Hotel. which is apparently 5* but is truly awful. It was like stepping back into the 70's!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I stayed at the Grand Hyatt and couldn't imagine a better location or view of the towers. The pool area was very nice.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Even though I generally am not a huge fan of Hiltons, I really like the one in KL and highly recommend it. Awesome location with almost direct access to Sentral train station, exceptional lounge (actually comparable to or better than most of the Conrads in Asia) and nice rooms. Pool area is particularly good, especially for a city hotel.

That said, if you're looking for a true five-star property, I personally think they're hard if not impossible to come by in KL. However, you might find some useful info in the dedicated Luxury Hotels forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-220/
Old May 26, 2015, 3:58 am
Original Poster

I just booked the Shangra-la Trader's suite with a view of the Towers. Just over 84000 Avios for July 1 - 4. Breakfast included.

We shall see how it goes, but looking forward to it after spending over a week in the Perhentians. It will be the last taste of glory before my 6-week bicycle camping trip in Australia in Jul-Aug. Got a warm sleeping bag for southern OZ
Old May 26, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I am treated so well by there Intercontinental, I stay there. But unless you are into the quaint Japanese approach to lively lavatory seats, I wouldn't recommend it (ex-Nikko). Though it is handy for metro.

The Hilton is where I would otherwise be. Never thought I'd say that, but the Sentral incarnation of this Hilton is very nice indeed. So unless you are tied into hotel programmes, I'd recommend the place for consideration.

I don't really get the Petronas view thing: you see the blasted towers from all over the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.