Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

ubud and kuta in one day?

Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

I booked 4 nights in Seminyak March 24-28 .. I was unaware it was a long drive to these two places .. can we visit both places in one day or should we go twice?

I have seen the drivers that everyone suggested I will try to reach Wayan to see if he is available. Any other suggestions?

what other places could we visit?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Seminiak and Kuta are not far. Ubud is much further indeed. Ubud and its region worth to spend time to visit. Not a good idea to combine with Kuta.
But in any case, not a lot to see in Kuta IMO, unless you are interested to see drunk Aussies. If you stay only 4 days in Bali, there's better to do.
In Seminiak, you have the same beach as Kuta and a much more relaxed atmosphere.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lmalvarez07
I booked 4 nights in Seminyak March 24-28 .. I was unaware it was a long drive to these two places .. can we visit both places in one day or should we go twice?

I have seen the drivers that everyone suggested I will try to reach Wayan to see if he is available. Any other suggestions?

what other places could we visit?
No disrespect intended, but both in a day would be madness. The essence of Ubud is peace and relaxation, and rushing in and out would achieve neither! I was last in Bali over 10 years ago, but I recall spending four or five nights in Ubud and really enjoying it.

I agree with Goldorak about Kuta. When I was there there weren't any drunken Aussies to speak of (this was in the month of July) - or they were all out of sight! - but it didn't interest me at all. Legian, which joins Kuta, was the same.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Ubud is great and worth at least a day by itself.

Kuta is worth about 10 minutes unless you have a thing for drunken Europeans blowing cigarette smoke all over you while you're trying to eat or enjoy a drink
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
On maps, Seminyak is labeled as North Kuta. You'll be close enough for a quick hop over at any time during your visit. It's a cheap taxi ride so don't worry about trying to tack Kuta time onto a day you have a car/driver.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:19 pm

Ubud is a little more remote but I was there once with a driver...you could do both in a day...but would it be enjoyable, probably not as much.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've walked along the beach from Seminyak to Kuta, just start strolling towards the airplanes and see how far you can make it!

No idea why you'd want to combine Kuta with Ubud. Or go to Kuta!

Ubud isn't that far. It's more the traffic that's a pain. If you had no traffic you could do it in 50 minutes.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: most of them
when I went between the airport and Ubud it took 90 minutes. As noted traffic is an issue. Bali has lots of narrow roads with lots of traffic.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Ubud is really only worth going to if you are going to be there overnight due to the distance and to get to enjoy the benefits of going to a place where you can really relax and chill. It is very different than the beach scene.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gspurr
Ubud is really only worth going to if you are going to be there overnight due to the distance and to get to enjoy the benefits of going to a place where you can really relax and chill. It is very different than the beach scene.
Unless you're going to spend at least 2-3 nights in Ubud, don't even bother going. We stayed at Komaneka at Rasa Sayang - by far the most enjoyable experience we've had at any resort, anywhere in the world.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Unless you're going to spend at least 2-3 nights in Ubud, don't even bother going. We stayed at Komaneka at Rasa Sayang - by far the most enjoyable experience we've had at any resort, anywhere in the world.
Yes, although I said overnight, I agree that at least 2 or 3 nights is preferable. If you do go, I would highly suggest renting a bicycle.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gspurr
Yes, although I said overnight, I agree that at least 2 or 3 nights is preferable. If you do go, I would highly suggest renting a bicycle.
we'll have to try that out next time we go!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
we'll have to try that out next time we go!
My hotel had a couple of bikes for guest use and they were really handy for getting around and not having to worry about getting a taxi.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Skip Kuta and just go to Ubud or elsewhere.

I would skip Kuta. You could take that whole strip of bars/massage parlours/ stores selling Chinese-factory-made "keepsakes" and interchange it with any other of a dozen greasy backpacker beaches without ever being the wiser.

Ubud has its own soul and it's beautiful. But closer to Kuta (a little North) Seminyak has a different vibe with decent coffee shops and restaurants. Rent a scooter and head South down to the Nusa Dua, Cliff Beach or the Green Bowl (if a few hundred stairs doesn't frighten you) and the ever-hilarious monkey temple is in that area too.

Just saying, don't limit yourself to the HardRock experience that is Kuta and think you're seeing Bali.

Last edited by DirtyDan; Apr 8, 2015 at 5:36 pm Reason: grammer is atroshious!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
I would skip Kuta. You could take that whole strip of bars/massage parlours/ stores selling Chinese-factory-made "keepsakes" and interchange it with any other of a dozen greasy backpacker beaches without ever being the wiser.

Ubud has its own soul and it's beautiful. But closer to Kuta (a little North) Seminyak has a different vibe with decent coffee shops and restaurants. Rent a scooter and head South down to the Nusa Dua, Cliff Beach or the Green Bowl (if a few hundred stairs doesn't frighten you) and the ever-hilarious monkey temple is in that area too.

Just saying, don't limit yourself to the HardRock experience that is Kuta and think you're seeing Bali.
I have to pretty much agree. I thought the overall beach scene in Bali was pretty bad. For me Ubud was by far the best part--and I love a nice beach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.