Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Japan or Korea?

Japan or Korea?

Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Garuda, SQ KF, Le Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors
Japan or Korea?

Well, I'm planning for my family trip this summer (early July to be precise), wondering which of the two is better to visit. In terms, of cost, places to see, and etc. Any FTers who visit the two regularly have any ideas?

regards
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:18 am

Japan.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:11 am

I like 'em both, but if I had to pick one, I'd also pip for Japan. More things to see, more approachable food, easier to get around without knowing the local lingo, etc.

Korea does remain somewhat cheaper than Japan, but with the yen at record lows, Japan isn't expensive either at the moment.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Garuda, SQ KF, Le Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors
What about the food? Well i know its subjective, but maybe some of us have any preferences on whether japanese/korean foods are better

Thanks anyway for the answers, appreciate it!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:10 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

FYI, planning for an early July trip might augur rainstorms in both countries.

Also, both countries have potable water, and food handling/preparation standards are generally laudable.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by egondo
What about the food? Well i know its subjective, but maybe some of us have any preferences on whether japanese/korean foods are better

Thanks anyway for the answers, appreciate it!
In Asia, such discussion is taboo!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:17 pm
Suspended

A while ago I asked some friends the same question, they answered me OK if you can hit the DMZ when you are there (not always open) then what will you do after that, and if you cant hit the DMZ what will you do the whole time you are there.

Basically there are many places to go and see in Japan , while Korea seems not to offer much of anything. Since asking that question Ive been to Tokyo and Kyoto (different trips) and plan on going back. Korea was the only place I ever asked people about that basically answered me "Boring" and not much to do if its not a biz trip.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by craz
A while ago I asked some friends the same question, they answered me OK if you can hit the DMZ when you are there (not always open) then what will you do after that, and if you cant hit the DMZ what will you do the whole time you are there.

Basically there are many places to go and see in Japan , while Korea seems not to offer much of anything. Since asking that question Ive been to Tokyo and Kyoto (different trips) and plan on going back. Korea was the only place I ever asked people about that basically answered me "Boring" and not much to do if its not a biz trip.
You can thank Japan for some of that...

There are some nifty grottoes in the south, cool hikes abound and food markets are all worth a visit. If one is interested in modern architecture/urban planning, Seoul is also worth a visit in that respect.

At the same time, I have ZERO interest in hallyu, which is what drives much tourism to the RoK these days.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
At the same time, I have ZERO interest in hallyu, which is what drives much tourism to the RoK these days.
That would be my main reason for going!

Japan is much larger of course. I wonder if people only think of Seoul when they think of Korea the way people only think of Taipei when they think of Taiwan.

Arirang TV (English language network available online http://www.arirang.co.kr/player/onair_tv.asp ) has lots of travel programs and Korea Today which often has segments on things to do and see.

Personally I think both are worth a visit
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
That would be my main reason for going!
My one hallyu concession, if it's even related- I want to visit that waterfall!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:25 pm

In the first half of July, Korea is at its wettest, with frequent and heavy monsoon rains. Some Seoulites I know prefer to head overseas at the time. It does make for a lush countryside, though.

Japan, while hot and humid, will see more sporadic rain and blue skies in July, June being the cloudiest month in central Japan.

For a first visit to East Asia in early July, Japan is probably the better choice, especially with the current exchange rate making it the most affordable it has been in many years.
Korea is better left for visitors with a specific interest in the country's culture, whether ancient or modern. To someone who has followed its progress over the years, it has a dynamism which has eluded Japan lately.

P.S. all the above posters answered from a western perspective. As the OP is based in southeast Asia, I'd say both destinations could be equally interesting
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I did a 3-day stopover in Seoul last summer and the summer before and can confirm the bit about rain and humidity. The city has some massive museums for art and the Korean war, and it's pretty easy to get around. OTOH, transit in Japan also is good, and the depressed yen may present a unique opportunity.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by egondo
Generalizing broadly here, but Korean food tends to be pretty heavy on chilli, garlic and fermented foodstuffs, and can be a bit of an acquired taste. Japanese food is lighter and less spiced, and tends to be more palatable to the average Westerner.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:22 pm

Japan is bigger country with more interesting sites and probably better transport. But it's like asking whether you should go to France or Spain. Or Brazil or Argentina. It depends on what you want to get out of it.

In terms of cost Korea is probably cheaper, but not as huge a difference as perhaps a couple decades ago.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
I have visited both. I think Japan offers more things to see. If this is your first time, I suggest that you go to Japan. Make sure that you take advantage of the JR pass for travelling around the country with shinkansen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.