Reload this Page >

Vietnam - Hanoi or Hoi An?

Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Hi all, I want to visit Vietnam in early 2016 and want to start my preliminary planning now. I know a little bit about some of the major cities and their attractions but want to get the thoughts of those who have actually visited. For a solo traveler who is interested in culture (e.g. temples, historic ambiance), food (street food as well as fine dining), people watching, and a bit of nature, where would you recommend I go? Hoi An or Hanoi? I know Ha Long bay is a big attraction and is near Hanoi, but it is not THAT close Inputs welcome, thank you in advance!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:46 am

Halong Bay is a 2-day trip with overnight cruise. The ride from Hanoi to Halong takes at least 3 hours one way so you should not try a day trip.

Hoi An is a quaint, little town with great food and lots of historic sights. You can probably cover the whole town comfortably in 2 days. The flight from Hanoi to Danang takes about an hour and it takes about 30 minutes from Danang to reach Hoi An.

I did a week-long trip starting in Hanoi -> [flight] Hue -> drive to Hoi An -> Danang -> [flight] Hanoi -> Halong Bay

Keep in mind the weather in Hoi An is quite different than in Hanoi - the rainy seasons are switched so you will likely get sun in one and nonstop rain/drizzle in the other.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Due to time constraints, I can only afford to spend around 3 days in the area (excluding days of transit), which would then make it seem like Ha Long bay would be too tight. Is there as much to see in Hanoi as Hoi An?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:32 am

Hanoi actually has more attractions than Hoi An. If you are short on time, stick to Hanoi - don't waste time getting on a domestic flight to Danang upon arrival in Hanoi.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by agp423
Hi all, I want to visit Vietnam in early 2016 and want to start my preliminary planning now. I know a little bit about some of the major cities and their attractions but want to get the thoughts of those who have actually visited. For a solo traveler who is interested in culture (e.g. temples, historic ambiance), food (street food as well as fine dining), people watching, and a bit of nature, where would you recommend I go? Hoi An or Hanoi? I know Ha Long bay is a big attraction and is near Hanoi, but it is not THAT close Inputs welcome, thank you in advance!
In 2016 the Lunar New Year will fall on Feb 8. I suggest that you plan your trip outside of that period (-1 week, +1 week) unless you like to be in the company of large crowds.
For 3 days, I suggest Hue as your base. For your 3-day stay, you can visit (1) Hue and the Imperial Palace; (2) Hoi An; and (3) the holy site My Son. They have the elements that you are looking for (temples, historic sites, UNESCO World Heritage, and the local cuisine).
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I've been taking solo trips to Vietnam since 2008 - total of 6 trips with one coming up in March. I also like the very same things - esp. the food and people watching parts. Both Hanoi and Hoi An should be on your list, but they couldn't be more different. You need to do considerably more research B4 the trip, start here at Travelfish.

First of all, fly a good carrier to Asia - I like Asiana because they treat economy passengers very well, and seating is quite spacious (1 connection in Seoul). If you'd like to PM me for detailed info on hotels, I do know a few really good ones (I prefer small boutique-type 2 and 3 star places).

I took a cruise to Halong Bay earlier this year, and would never do it again. We're all different, but it did nothing for me, and considering the cost for a decent boat, I consider it a poor value in a country of true values.

You don't want to rush around in Vietnam trying to see too much - the really big mistake that tourists make here. Domestic air travel is the way to get around since road travel is often dangerous, and trains are ok, but slow and the service is limited to just a few areas. My favorite places are these: Hanoi, Sapa, Dalat, Quy Nhon and Hoi An. I will only be in Hanoi and Hoi An on my upcoming March trip since I'll also be in Malaysia. It's a wonderful and friendly country, and they really do love Americans now (also a great place to travel solo and meet like-minded people from around the world).

I don't recommend travel to the north of Vietnam in Jan-Feb for 2 reasons - it's much cooler there at that time, and the Tet holiday should be avoid by first-time travelers. March is a great time to go - my favorite.

Do you actually mean 3 days for Vietnam in total? You're kidding, yes? If that is so, I'd pick another country - it's simply not worth the great efforts needed to travel to VN. Come back when you have at least 3 weeks - this place is awesome and really deserves that as a minimum, I kid you not.

Last edited by Daawgon; Feb 7, 2015 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Hanoi actually has more attractions than Hoi An. If you are short on time, stick to Hanoi - don't waste time getting on a domestic flight to Danang upon arrival in Hanoi.
Duly noted.

Originally Posted by hxhbk
In 2016 the Lunar New Year will fall on Feb 8. I suggest that you plan your trip outside of that period (-1 week, +1 week) unless you like to be in the company of large crowds.
For 3 days, I suggest Hue as your base. For your 3-day stay, you can visit (1) Hue and the Imperial Palace; (2) Hoi An; and (3) the holy site My Son. They have the elements that you are looking for (temples, historic sites, UNESCO World Heritage, and the local cuisine).
Noted as well. I was planning to travel mid/late March or early/mid April.

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I've been taking solo trips to Vietnam since 2008 - total of 6 trips with one coming up in March. I also like the very same things - esp. the food and people watching parts. Both Hanoi and Hoi An should be on your list, but they couldn't be more different. You need to do considerably more research B4 the trip, start here at Travelfish.

First of all, fly a good carrier to Asia - I like Asiana because they treat economy passengers very well, and seating is quite spacious (1 connection in Seoul). If you'd like to PM me for detailed info on hotels, I do know a few really good ones (I prefer small boutique-type 2 and 3 star places).

I took a cruise to Halong Bay earlier this year, and would never do it again. We're all different, but it did nothing for me, and considering the cost for a decent boat, I consider it a poor value in a country of true values.

You don't want to rush around in Vietnam trying to see too much - the really big mistake that tourists make here. Domestic air travel is the way to get around since road travel is often dangerous, and trains are ok, but slow and the service is limited to just a few areas. My favorite places are these: Hanoi, Sapa, Dalat, Quy Nhon and Hoi An. I will only be in Hanoi and Hoi An on my upcoming March trip since I'll also be in Malaysia. It's a wonderful and friendly country, and they really do love Americans now (also a great place to travel solo and meet like-minded people from around the world).

I don't recommend travel to the north of Vietnam in Jan-Feb for 2 reasons - it's much cooler there at that time, and the Tet holiday should be avoid by first-time travelers. March is a great time to go - my favorite.

Do you actually mean 3 days for Vietnam in total? You're kidding, yes? If that is so, I'd pick another country - it's simply not worth the great efforts needed to travel to VN. Come back when you have at least 3 weeks - this place is awesome and really deserves that as a minimum, I kid you not.
Thanks for the info. I do not plan to see all of Vietnam in my one visit. Maybe not even all of one city. I just want to get a flavor of the place. I only have three days. I have about three weeks of vacation all year and cannot spend it all at once place. I'd much rather over-pack my itinerary than to spend the time to fully saturate myself in a new place.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:50 pm

Yeah, as in my experience, it's best to visit the middle part of Vietnam since the price is better and not so crowded all the time.
But also it's not very easy to communicate since they don't speak much English, even though it has some improvements now but still all kind of terrify.
So in summation, you might want to get some help in Vietnam, someone who can ACTUALLY speak English and also a native. It can get messy, trust me.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I'm thinking you can fill your three days in Central Vietnam, between Hoi An, Danang, and Hue. There are also plenty of flights directly into DAD so you can Dane time by skipping the connection at SGN or HAN.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I have not been to Hoi An but have been to Hanoi an HCMC. I absolutely loved Hanoi where I found it to be a mixture of old customs and a little bit modern (not too modern like HCMC).

I found a tour called Awesome Vietnam Travel who did food tours walking through the city. They were absolutely great. The manager also offered to pick us up at the airport and said he'd just get the $25 bucks when we did the Food on Foot Tour. In Hanoi, get up early and go to Hoam Kiem lake. It is a fabulous site with everyone exercising or dancing. Any form of movement constitutes exercise. My favourite was seeing a large line of about 30 middle age ladies standing behind each other and slapping the person in front of them's back.

In Hanoi we stayed at the Hotel Metropole and it was fabulous. Steeped in history with courteous and very helpful staff and close walking distance to many fun sites around the city.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Hoi An was useful for a sidetrip to My Son (Angkor-era ruins with definite similarities). But would agree that Hanoi has more to see and do. There's even now a Nancy Chandler map of it...have gotten to be a real fan of those because they point out markets and places within markets as well as food options that might be of interest to westerners.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
Don't know what happened to the previous poster-think he got taken. Went to HaLong Bay
last month and hired a boat for less than $80. The entire boat for our group of 10. They took us where we wanted to go on a route that was ahead of all the other tours. A great time and included a super meal. This is one of the 10 best places that we've been to and worth the ride from Hanoi.
HoiAn was beautiful at night and a great side trip for two days.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:48 pm

I would choose Hanoi as there are lots of things to do in the city and nearby. The city itself is atmospheric and full of charm.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Hanoi is awesome.

I did a street food tour which was just amazing - as well as some monuments and museums.

Plenty of things to do and see - the lakes make it a delightful city.

The French quarter and the Old Quarter very worthwhile places to wander around in.

HCMC is just big noisy hot and humid, however the Mekong Delta is awesome.

maybe plan to spend a few days on a river boat - maybe not see anyone but Vietnamese for a few days, really experience the way of life
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I'll be in Vietnam/Cambodia with my husband in December. We booked this trip 15 months in advance, so it already feels like we've been waiting forever to go! We're going on a cruise/tour organized by Uniworld, but we'll take advantage of the ample free time they provide. We'll spend two days in Hanoi, take an overnight cruise of Ha Long Bay that includes a visit to a cave, back to Hanoi for a few nights, then to Siem Reap for 3 days, a 7-day cruise on the Mekong river, and ending in Ho Chi Minh City for 3 more days before flying home via Hong Kong and Narita.

Have any of you had custom clothing made in Vietnam? My husband is keen to get a few suits made since we'll have plenty of time in Hanoi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.