Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Manila From Terminal 1 to Bago Bantay, Quezon City Yellow Taxi or Coupon Taxi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:39 am
Original Poster

This will be my first time visiting Philippines. A family friend of a "friend" said he would pick me up for 1000 pesos. Initially I thought it was a good deal until I was searching the forums and found a photo member KIXman posted on March 7 2014 which shows the pricing for a coupon taxi from Terminal 2. Post #193

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...l#post22428192

It would appear that I would be paying 740 Pesos. Its a flat rate so the taxi driver would not have any incentive to cheat me by taking a scenic route.

I've read a good handful of post about yellow taxi's are cheaper but you have to ask them to turn on the meter and be sure to watch the meter just in case it's rigged. Another forum member posted he paid 1100 pesos just to go to Passay and that's after a 22hr flight. That's a lot of stress after a long flight.

Do you think price will vary from Terminal 1 vs Terminal 2 or is it a standard rate in all terminals?

It would seem that the coupon taxi's are a better choice in this instance but out of curiosity how much more do you think I will save if I went with the yellow taxi?

thank you
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Thats a LONG taxi ride. If you catch traffic at the wrong time it could literally wind up taking a couple of hours. I arrive at MNL about once a month and in my recent expirence the MNL taxi situation is deteriorating if thats even possible. So it's hard to give good advice when the options aren't good.

So.... if it's your first trip to MNL.... and if the friend of a friend is a reliable trustworthy friend(???). 1000 Piso isn't really that bad for that trip for peace of mind. I'd 'guess' a yellow taxi might be 600??? so 740 for a coupon taxi isn't bad. I'd think you would even have a hard time getting a white meter taxi to do it for less than 400-500. Traffic is the HUGE variable on that route. If you tried that at rush hour a driver might very legitamtly take a very senic route to stay off of EDSA.

I HAVE twice in the last few of months got overtly rigged meters in Yellow Airport Meter Taxies. I have personally reverted to grabbing white meter taxies from the departure level and have 'generally' been having better luck with those guys as of late but even there I have had recent negative expirences that I'm personally confortable dealing with but wouldn't base and recomendations to others on.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

I am headed directly to SM North EDSA mall where I will meet my friends.

I searched on NAIA website and their pricing does show 740 but its referring to Terminal 2. Do you know if the pricing is the same as Terminal 1?

I do not know the friend of the friend. To me its a stranger and I don't know why I would go with the friend for 1000 php vs coupon taxi for 740 php. Both options will receive a flat rate.

I will avoid yellow meter taxi or street taxi.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Never tried it and don't know anyone who has but you can try just e-mailing a legit coupon taxi company and see what they have to say about the prescribed rate. I think Nissan is about the biggest and reputable airport taxi operator at MNL.

http://www.nissanrentacar.com/services.do?id=942
[email protected]

Also, beware all manner of coupon taxi misdirection scams where clean cut guys in white shirts outside arrival try to direct you to "limo" taxis and beware any driver pulling out a laminated card to show you what "rates" are.

Last edited by Mabuk dan gila; Dec 13, 2014 at 5:51 am Reason: fix e-mail address
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: Worldperks Gold, Hilton HHonnors Plat
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Never tried it and don't know anyone who has but you can try just e-mailing a legit coupon taxi company and see what they have to say about the prescribed rate. I think Nissan is about the biggest and reputable airport taxi operator at MNL.

http://www.nissanrentacar.com/services.do?id=942
[email protected]

Also, beware all manner of coupon taxi misdirection scams where clean cut guys in white shirts outside arrival try to direct you to "limo" taxis and beware any driver pulling out a laminated card to show you what "rates" are.
I have seen both of those scams.
I have never had an issue in a yellow taxi.
From what I understand, the Yellow taxi is a good job and the drivers do not what to mess it up. Now and then you get a fast meter, but I have never once had a yellow try not turning the meter on.
As I understand it, the White Taxi's are not allowed to pick up at the airport. When they do, they are breaking the rules, so why not break one more and overcharge
Coupon is fine if you want to make it simple, Yellow should be fine, but you will most likely need to wait longer. If the lines are bad and you have a smart phone, use Uber. Be cautious of the ones that prey of foreigners, they hang out at the door and offer you a cheap ride, next thing you know it will be a laminated sheet saying you owe $100

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.