Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Possibly crazy plan for overnight layover in Taiwan (TPE)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

This may be an impossible and over-ambitious plan, so I'm going to need some feedback! I'll be arriving at 10.30pm on Friday night (26 Dec) at TPE. My connecting EVA air flight isn't until 7.40am the next day. I'll be with two guy friends who haven't been to Taiwan before. I am thinking of going with no sleep, night market, some late night adventures in Taiwan, then back to airport for our connecting flight.

I thought we could deposit our bags at some baggage counter (but will it be open the next day in time?) or at a baggage locker somewhere before heading to the NEAREST night market possibly by rail/bus/metro. I know that the night markets normally start to wind down after 11ishpm but won't be fully closed until 12ish am. Thought it would be worth going at least so we get to eat some nice food and walk around soaking up the atmosphere on a Friday night. Which night market would you suggest that would be convenient to get to from the airport?

The problem would be what to do AFTER that. Once the night market is closed, the metro would also have stopped running. Any ideas on what we could do? I thought about visiting the 24-hour Eslite bookshop! But that's about it..

Also, and very importantly, I am looking for a way for us to get back to the airport on time. The airport buses don't start running again until 5am I think, which is a bit risky for a flight that's just 2+ hours later. I was thinking that a cab might have to do in the worst case scenario. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pickledewe; Dec 7, 2014 at 7:19 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk… I'm just giving your post a little bump as it got trapped in the moderation queue without my realizing it.

Good luck, and sorry for the confusion!

~Moderator
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:14 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pickledewe

The problem would be what to do AFTER that. Once the night market is closed, the metro would also have stopped running. Any ideas on what we could do? I thought about visiting the 24-hour Eslite bookshop! But that's about it..

Also, and very importantly, I am looking for a way for us to get back to the airport on time. The airport buses don't start running again until 5am I think, which is a bit risky for a flight that's just 2+ hours later. I was thinking that a cab might have to do in the worst case scenario. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Firstly, regarding luggage storage, here is the rundown from TPE's website. It is NOT 24 hours.

As for the all-nighter scenario, I had a similar itinerary earlier this year. Will you have already checked-in for the next flight? Even still, I think you'd be fine with catching the earliest bus from Taipei's main bus station (right by the main train station).

There's not much to do in the wee hours of the morning. As you noted, night markets close up around 12-1. There's a Carrefour somewhere downtown that closes at 2, but what I did was enjoy the relative calm walking throughout the city, periodically getting a snack at a convenience store. Also, I spent about an hour at an internet cafe (they aren't everywhere, but there are a couple near the train station).
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
I'm doing a somewhat similar thing on December 23rd though I arrive a little bit earlier.

I would see if you can check the bags through. Checking EVA's flight schedule I didn't see any flights later than midnight so I don't know if the counters will be open to accept your bags again.

If you are able to figure out a way to store the bags I definitely think it's a good idea. You would be getting additional value for the trip using otherwise time spent sitting around in an airport.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Firstly, regarding luggage storage, here is the rundown from TPE's website. It is NOT 24 hours.

As for the all-nighter scenario, I had a similar itinerary earlier this year. Will you have already checked-in for the next flight? Even still, I think you'd be fine with catching the earliest bus from Taipei's main bus station (right by the main train station).

There's not much to do in the wee hours of the morning. As you noted, night markets close up around 12-1. There's a Carrefour somewhere downtown that closes at 2, but what I did was enjoy the relative calm walking throughout the city, periodically getting a snack at a convenience store. Also, I spent about an hour at an internet cafe (they aren't everywhere, but there are a couple near the train station).
Thanks, BuildingmyBento! Your link was actually terrific because there was something called Bonded Luggage? I wonder if icould either check my bags through or leave it as bonded luggage before we head out.

I think we might give the walking around a shot. Would you recommend staying in the downtown area?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willcoop
I'm doing a somewhat similar thing on December 23rd though I arrive a little bit earlier.

I would see if you can check the bags through. Checking EVA's flight schedule I didn't see any flights later than midnight so I don't know if the counters will be open to accept your bags again.

If you are able to figure out a way to store the bags I definitely think it's a good idea. You would be getting additional value for the trip using otherwise time spent sitting around in an airport.
Will you be heading out to a night market as well? I'm trying to figure out the best one to get to from the airport with the least transport time to ensure we get to eat more good food!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
Will you be heading out to a night market as well? I'm trying to figure out the best one to get to from the airport with the least transport time to ensure we get to eat more good food!
I have yet to research it in depth but I usually go with the cheaper options. I am leaving later the next day so I will sleep in Taipei city then go out after drop my bag.
It looks like there are a lot of buses that are cheap so I will likely go that route.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Taipei#Get_in

If you are splitting the ride with 2-3 other people and on a short time budget maybe a taxi is your best option.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
deleted
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
In Chung-Li City in Taoyuan county, has nice night markets is near the airport, maybe 20 min taxi ride if you want close to the airport. As mentioned by others, maybe use a Taxi if 3 of you might be cheaper, but most important will save time.

Also if on a overnight transfer flight, I think they will tag your baggage to your destination.

Last edited by Taipei; Dec 10, 2014 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taipei
In Chung-Li City in Taoyuan county, has nice night markets is near the airport, maybe 20 min taxi ride if you want close to the airport. As mentioned by others, maybe use a Taxi if 3 of you might be cheaper, but most important will save time.

Also if on a overnight transfer flight, I think they will tag your baggage to your destination.
Thanks! Great idea regarding the night markets nearby. Do you think the cab ride will be expensive? I'm trying to estimate how much money to change for this short sojourn. If I set aside 50usd altogether for to and from the airport, do you think that's enough? Including all the midnight fares and stuff tacked on?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:08 am

Taipei by Night: breakfast, cycling and live music!

You plan sounds pretty realistic to me. From and to Taoyuan airport, you should be able to make a deal with the cab driver for no more than 800-1000 TWD to Taipei centre, even at these hours.

Consider renting bycicles from one of the ubiquitous 24-hour Ubike stations and cycling through some of the nightlife areas, or along the river (with its led illuminated bridges).

If all-night Karaoke-palaces are not your thing (it's an option) and you want to soak up some of the atmosphere with your friends, you could still head over to a typical Live House, with live singing acts often ending at about 1-1.30 AM. At the famous EZ5 live house (pronounce: Easy Five), for instance, the last act only starts at 23.45! Cost is usually around 700TWD including several free drinks and fried snacks. Skip the night market and go listen to some live Chinese and Aboriginal pop! There's a full program on the 26th. http://www.ez5.com.tw/new/index.php

Or, sip a cocktail in the Woobar on top of the W hotel, open 'till 3AM.

My favourite, though, is all-night Chinese breakfast: cycle around and keep your eyes open for steam bellowing out of baskets full of dumplings and big kettles of hot soymilk. Or copy 豆漿, 永和豆漿 or 四海豆漿 into your Google Maps to locate the nearest store. Your taxi driver will also have his favourites! Breakfast stores draw crowds all night, with their fresh pastries, pancakes and hot milk that make for a perfect snack after a crazy night of going out... or work.

The streets behind the 24H Eslite are full of bars and barbecue places - some must be open late. And there's a big Karaoke palace nearby ("Cashbox"). Internet is your friend.

Hope you'll enjoy your 10 hours in Taipei!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:57 pm

I will fly LAX-TPE-HAN, arriving TPE at 11pm so I am planning to stay at Novotel that night. Do I have to take my checked bags after immigration? Or do I just leave them there for the next flight?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.