Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best airline for HKG->SIN

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Poster

What's the best airline for HKG->SIN

I will be traveling with my husband and two young kids from HKG to Singapore in January and I'm trying to decide which airline to go with - Cathay or Singapore airlines. I have Gold status on Cathay so i tend to fly with them but i have heard great things about SQ. Thoughts on both experiences? Which one is the better option?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Flysalotalot
I will be traveling with my husband and two young kids from HKG to Singapore in January and I'm trying to decide which airline to go with - Cathay or Singapore airlines. I have Gold status on Cathay so i tend to fly with them but i have heard great things about SQ. Thoughts on both experiences? Which one is the better option?
What class? If C, I would go with the better schedule and give preference to SQ in case of a tie (to try a different product). If Y, status becomes important and CX would be my choice.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Either one are good. I prefer SQ but there's nothing wrong with Cathay.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
In Y I don't think the entertainment system is very good on SQ if thats important for you and the kids.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:01 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Flysalotalot, welcome to FlyerTalk! Let me move this to the forum dedicated to travel within Asia, for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
This is 6 of one versus 1/2 dozen of another.

Departing HKG, CX.
Departing SIN, SQ.

Home airport advantage!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:11 pm

One way flight? The budget carriers will be considerably cheaper. I usually go with Jetstar on this route as they are the best of the worst.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:55 pm

My recent SQ flight in the evening was almost empty. That was quite welcome for me, as it seems almost every flight has full capacity nowadays.

SQ entertainment in Y was excellent for TV/Movies, although I didn't look at cartoons or video games.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by Flysalotalot
For such a short hop it hardly matters. Price is likely the key determinant.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SirJman
One way flight? The budget carriers will be considerably cheaper. I usually go with Jetstar on this route as they are the best of the worst.
Agree - I did an overnight flight on Jetstar a couple of years ago. Perfectly acceptable service. I slept the whole way on the short and inexpensive flight!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman
Only issue I found was the security at the budget terminal in HKG and then the bus to the plane which was about 4 miles from the gate. Jetstar otherwise are perfectly acceptable though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.