DPR (North) Korea visited; to bow or not to bow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,

I Bow

to the great leader and eternal president Kim Il-sung as I would respect anywhere any local customs.

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea for many brings up the thought “do I survive?”. From many friends I got questions like “Are you sure?”, “Let’s make a goodbye party we won’t see you again”, “Are you not afraid of getting imprisoned?” etc. etc. It’s not the first travel destination for many.

So why in the hell would I go there? It started long ago but got itchy some years back with a documentary on television in the Netherlands about the DPR Korea. My goal is to travel the world and not miss any country and due to the political situation I put DPR Korea at the top of my bucket list as anything can change any day; so better now than never. But there was one problem: I prefer to have control over my travels and plan them myself: NOT POSSIBLE. After searching the internet and finding the tour operators that offer the trips (there are not that many) I came in contact with Your Planet Travel which was even located in my own country and met with them at a conference about special travel. They offered me kind of what I normally do myself and the option to (semi) plan the trip myself. All professional and very personal; I can really recommend to book your trip to the DPR Korea through them!

read the full story here:
DPR (NORTH) KOREA – To bow or not to bow; Pyongyang explored [part 1]

I can really recommend this destination to anyone open for new experiences.

Chris

Last edited by christravelblog; Nov 27, 2014 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:53 am

So you went on your own private tour?

Looking forward to part 2.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by DanielW
So you went on your own private tour?

Looking forward to part 2.
Correct!

It was me, 2 guides and a driver........ i did not join a group.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Poor people in NK do not benefit from tourism.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
This is really interesting:
During the flight I made my first bow to the eternal president Kim Il-Sung as over the Taedong river the plane will make a rolling maneuver as a bow to the great leader after which it’s a few more minutes to land at Pyongyang airport.
Do all planes landing there make this maneuver? It's really interesting that they did this, but I couldn't find anyone else online mentioning it.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MattR23
This is really interesting:

Do all planes landing there make this maneuver? It's really interesting that they did this, but I couldn't find anyone else online mentioning it.
If all do this I do not know; when I flew they did. and they even mentioned on the speakers.

I was supposed to fly a 2nd time (to see more of the east coast) early November but the day I had to go they closed the borders due to ebola prevention.

Probably i go a 2nd time in May; i will check if they do it again.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by christravelblog
If all do this I do not know; when I flew they did. and they even mentioned on the speakers.

I was supposed to fly a 2nd time (to see more of the east coast) early November but the day I had to go they closed the borders due to ebola prevention.

Probably i go a 2nd time in May; i will check if they do it again.
Nice part 1 - hope you were able to take some more photos later
If you wanna see pics from the inside of the planes (or in general): my report is linked here.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vantom
Nice part 1 - hope you were able to take some more photos later
If you wanna see pics from the inside of the planes (or in general): my report is linked here.
Great! yes I know about flying the planes there but when i was they did not have a tour. I fly a bit myself and really wanted to do that; I have tried to get a private helicopter tour above pyongyang, but not possible (at that time).

more photo's :-) yes.......from 2nd part onwards. total story will be about 5 posts.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

New post on DPR North Korea online! It's about the DMZ, spying on the south koreans at the concrete wall look out post and about the old Koryo dyansty from back in the 10th century.
read full story and photos here:
http://www.christravelblog.com/dpr-n...koryo-dynasty/
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
2 guides and a driver
All three of which were agents watching you . Since I work in the DMZ (southern part), I have seen as much of the DPRK as I would like - until the regime falls.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by relangford
All three of which were agents watching you . Since I work in the DMZ (southern part), I have seen as much of the DPRK as I would like - until the regime falls.
I'm aware they of course were watching me :-)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

just put some new part of my trip. SPA house and the waterworks at Nampo.
http://www.christravelblog.com/dpr-n...erworks-nampo/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.