Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong / Cambodia Itinerary Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong / Cambodia Itinerary Advice

I've picked up a lot of great advice on this forum. Thanks! As a result of the feedback here I've put together what looks like a great trip for 6 days this May for three adventurous ladies.

Does anyone have any feedback or advice on how I have this crafted? Any must see, do activities I've not included here?

May 6th, 2015 - Depart ORD via CX biz. Arrive HKG at 5:25am on May 7th. Head to the business class lounge take showers, freshen up and begin our day of tours in Hong Kong.

May 6, late afternoon head back to the airport for flights to REP on Dragonair departing at 5:25pm. Arrive REP 7:15pm check in at Le Meridien for early bed time.

May 8th and 9th - Tours with Pon at and around Angkor Watt

May 10th and 11th enjoy Tonle Sap Lake

May 12th we depart REP at 11am and arrive in Hong Kong late afternoon for night out and overnight. Stay at either the JW Marriott or Grand Hyatt.

May 13th board CX flights back to ORD

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cdnblue
May 10th and 11th enjoy Tonle Sap Lake
What do you plan to do at Tonle Sap? I spent 1/2 day there and that was sufficient. I would put the extra time into Angkor and visiting some of the further out temples. Highly recommend the Phare Circus.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jadecocoa
What do you plan to do at Tonle Sap? I spent 1/2 day there and that was sufficient.
Indeed.... I wouldn't even spend that much time on the lake.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I fully agree with other posters. A half day on the lake is sufficient. Spend the rest of your time in SR exploring Angkor temples.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: most of them
The only thing I would add is, don't discount the effects of jet lag and the climate. But I can't sleep well on planes so arriving HKG early morning I am sure I would be feeling pretty tired and out of it.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I fully agree with other posters. A half day on the lake is sufficient. Spend the rest of your time in SR exploring Angkor temples.
Or take a day, get a car/driver and go to Preah Vihear, Koh Ket and Beng Melea. That's not a day you'll ever forget.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Or take a day, get a car/driver and go to Preah Vihear, Koh Ket and Beng Melea. That's not a day you'll ever forget.
Very good suggestion indeed. But it's pretty hard to visit the 3 the same day IMO. I did twice PV and KK the same day and there was no more room to visit BM, even if it is indeed on the way back to SR.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good suggestion indeed. But it's pretty hard to visit the 3 the same day IMO. I did twice PV and KK the same day and there was no more room to visit BM, even if it is indeed on the way back to SR.
It's very doable as a long day but you need to depart before 7AM. The roads are in pretty good condition these days.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I just looked these up. They look right up our alley. Will be sure to incorporate these into our itinerary.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
The only thing I would add is, don't discount the effects of jet lag and the climate. But I can't sleep well on planes so arriving HKG early morning I am sure I would be feeling pretty tired and out of it.
Good point. We will time shift one or two days before departing for Asia. We also plan to stay up for the first 5 hours on the 14 hour flight and then sleep the next 8 hours. Flight leaves at 1am ORD time so sleeping 5 hours after getting on the plan shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by glennaa11
That was my first thought, too. You're dealing with a worst-case jet lag scenario. With my own Asia trips I try to go as diurnal as possible the first 3-4 days, as the crash usually comes around 7 p.m. on the first day and gets pushed maybe another 60-90 minutes later per day.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:46 am

+1 to the jetlag and climate considerations and adjustments.

Was in Siem Reap this mid April and again this mid October.
During the trip in mid April, we encountered a pretty heavy rainstorm midday and it was pretty humid afterwards. The sun/heat and humidity is pretty is pretty draining by itself and then combine that with some steep climbs up some temples. I'd just suggest trying to keep as flexible as possible and be a bit conservative in what you pack in a day.

Tix to the Angkor grounds are in one, three, and seven day passes. The three day pass costs the same as 2 one day passes. If targeting for two days, you can either get the three day pass and lighten up the days and/or perhaps just using the third day to just to see sunrise/sunset. Alternatively, you can just get a one day pass to give you flexibility to skip a second day if you get wat'ed out and see all you wanted to see the first day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.