Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Taoyuan or Taipei for one night layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I've got a TPE-YVR flight next month and will be arriving the night before from SIN for a one night layover.

Trying to decide whether to stay in Taoyuan or go into Taipei for my overnight layover. If I stay in Taoyuan, I'd prefer to return to the airport in the morning, check in for my 11:55 p.m. flight and then go into Taipei for the day. Don't know if BR does early check in at TPE.

Alternative would be to go into Taipei on night of arrival. Leave bag at downtown hotel for the next day, and then return to TPE after dinner.

What do experienced FTers recommend?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:23 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by transportprof
I've got a TPE-YVR flight next month and will be arriving the night before from SIN for a one night layover.

Trying to decide whether to stay in Taoyuan or go into Taipei for my overnight layover. If I stay in Taoyuan, I'd prefer to return to the airport in the morning, check in for my 11:55 p.m. flight and then go into Taipei for the day. Don't know if BR does early check in at TPE.

Alternative would be to go into Taipei on night of arrival. Leave bag at downtown hotel for the next day, and then return to TPE after dinner.

What do experienced FTers recommend?
I suppose you could stay at the Novotel on TPE grounds.

Otherwise, I would regard staying in Taoyuan as a hassle, and bee-line to downtown Taipei.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I suppose you could stay at the Novotel on TPE grounds.

Otherwise, I would regard staying in Taoyuan as a hassle, and bee-line to downtown Taipei.
Thanks. That is my choice exactly - Novotel TPE vs Taiwan city centre hotel.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:24 pm

I'd personally rather go downtown for the night and return to TPE the next day. Basically no traffic at night from TPE to downtown, so it'd be an easier journey (potentially) than going downtown in the morning.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windhund
I'd personally rather go downtown for the night and return to TPE the next day. Basically no traffic at night from TPE to downtown, so it'd be an easier journey (potentially) than going downtown in the morning.
You've convinced me. Downtown it is. I may ride the high-speed train from Taoyuan to downtown, in any case. But it sounds like it will be less busy in the evenings.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:21 pm

upon arrival from SIN, I'd take bus (or shuttle to HSR train) to hotels in Taipei city proper, tour & walk the city, take subway (MRT), etc....

Next day, late checkout or store your luggage, and only head to TPE airport for 11:55pm flight to YVR (sadly on 747) around 8-9 pm, it takes ~40 minutes on bus ($100-$150 NT) or taxi ($700-$1000 NT)

See if you can check-in online also, then you can leave Taipei even later
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:13 am
Suspended

You've convinced me. Downtown it is. I may ride the high-speed train from Taoyuan to downtown, in any case. But it sounds like it will be less busy in the evenings.
By the time you have messed about getting to the HSR and waited for your train you could be downtown. No sure who wrote no traffic at night from TPE to downtown but obviously has been driving with his eyes ..... Staying in Taoyuan is a no no, its a dump.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by padovadisc
By the time you have messed about getting to the HSR and waited for your train you could be downtown. No sure who wrote no traffic at night from TPE to downtown but obviously has been driving with his eyes ..... Staying in Taoyuan is a no no, its a dump.
Having just done that, yes the environment around the hotel was less than high class.
OTOH we arrived 2 hours late into TPE and the 3* was acceptably clean, though not spotless, it took 20 minutes each way and cost including transport about half the cost of the Novotel. Breakfast was supplied to the room in cardboard.

So put it into the budget category. I have stayed both at the airport and downtown Taipei.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:27 am

I should clarify that I personally haven't encountered traffic from Taoyuan going into downtown Taipei when I arrive later at night. I'm not sure how it is earlier in the evening, and of course, special events and incidents will impact traffic.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional feedback. I'd be landing around 6 pm, so probably will see a lot of traffic into Taipei.

I might take a bus straight form the airport, if I'm feeling tired, or if the weather isn't nice. But I thought it would be interesting to check out another mode of travel that is missing from North America (HSR). I wouldn't be doing it for the speed, however.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Thanks for the additional feedback. I'd be landing around 6 pm, so probably will see a lot of traffic into Taipei.

I might take a bus straight form the airport, if I'm feeling tired, or if the weather isn't nice. But I thought it would be interesting to check out another mode of travel that is missing from North America (HSR). I wouldn't be doing it for the speed, however.
If you just want to check out HSR, then do it! ^ It's fun But of course it is for work related research, not just for the fun! (note your user name...)

The shuttle bus to HSR station is not fun though... It's a high floor traditional bus with no separate luggage compartment (low floor transit bus is still a new concept in Taiwan...) so you need to climb up the stairs with your luggage in tow.

In the future, transfer from TPE to Downtown Taipei will be a lot easier when the Metro purple line opens. The express train from TPE to Taipei Main Station should be 35 minutes. No need to fuss with transfer at Taoyuan HSR station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoyuan...al_Airport_MRT
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Staying in Taoyuan is a no no, its a dump.
This is spot on. Should you stay in Taoyuan, make sure it's the Novotel at the airport. Otherwise, stay in Taipei.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:08 pm

If you're like me a big fan of HSR - i've got a suggestion. Forget Taoyuan, forget Taipei. Ride the thing south all the way to Zuoying (Kaohsiung) and spend the night there. A "business" class fare is like 80-90 USD one way.

Stay in Kaohsiung the night instead - I enjoy it more.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
If you're like me a big fan of HSR - i've got a suggestion. Forget Taoyuan, forget Taipei. Ride the thing south all the way to Zuoying (Kaohsiung) and spend the night there. A "business" class fare is like 80-90 USD one way.

Stay in Kaohsiung the night instead - I enjoy it more.
You can stay in Kaoshuing, or Taichung the midway point and probally good enough to get the full speed ride (to Taipei I do not need it reaches higher speeds). The Kaoshuing station is on the north end of town, but is connected by subway(MRT) to the city.

If taking the train to Taipei, I may suggest the YMCA hotel, which is central (across the street from the station) with nice new renovated rooms for about US$65. As mentioned, Taoyuan is not really visitor friendly I would recommend not staying there.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:48 am

The HSR is more interesting to ride in the daytime when you can look out the window and appreciate its high speed. At night, well, it almost feels like a regular train since you can't see that much outside...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.