Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in HCMC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lcpteck
No good with the airport pickup as driver and I couldn't find each other and there was also a language barrier. I even selected the pre-designated pickup 'pillar' but he was nowhere to be seen.

Uber from hotel to airport was no issue as I had the porter confirm my destination with the driver. I guess the issue here for Uber in HCMC is lack of english speaking drivers for foreign tourists, especially for airport pickups.
Could not agree with you more. in my experience, foreign language skill for Vietnamese uber drivers is very limited. So it is not really a convenient or practical option for foreign visitors without additional assistance, such as from the hotel staff in your case.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
No it is NOT a language problem. Mai Linh and Vinasun taxi drivers speak less English and are still able to provide consistently excellent service. The problem with Uber in HCMC is a lack of other skills on the part of the drivers including:
  • Basic map reading skills
  • Basic driving skills
  • Lack of interest in providing good service
  • General intelligence

And BTW - if your Vietnamese pronunciation is not good you can just show the driver the address or destination on a piece of paper or on your iphone.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I had good luck with Uber last month to and from SGN. Set my pickup location, specific to the pillar and the driver pulled up about three minutes later and I flagged him down.

The return from the hotel to the airport was a little iffy since the Intercontinental has two entrances (one for the hotel and one for residences) and of course he went to the hotel entrance.

Fares were about 100,000 (IIRC, I'll have to go back and look) for Uber Black each way. Got Kia Rondos both times so not exactly high class but the drivers had no issue following the directions and were generally friendly. I prefer not to carry cash, especially on my way to the airport leaving the country so using Uber is perfect for me.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Experience using Uber/Grab in Saigon (HCMC)

Experience using Grab/Uber in Saigon (HCMC):

While I have been in Vietnam/Saigon more than once, it was the first I used Uber/Grab instead of taxis to get from port to point and I am totally satisfied. We used grabcar and uberX more than ten times in 24h when we (group of three adults) stayed in HCMC.

We got out together for sightseeing/dining/etc and entirely relied on Uber/Grab instead of public transport/taxi. While reading some bad reports here about uber/grab, the result for us worked way better than I expected.

Several conditions needs to be in place to make such experience successful - make sure that you have right expectations. Here is the list of observations:

1.Obviously, you need to have data connection on phone, but while desired, it is not absolutely necessary to have local SIM card with data. I did not purchase SIM card there and instead used wifi. At all cafes/restaurants/hotels there is wifi available and you can connect to them and use it to call Uber/Grab.

2. When booking Uber/grab, don't blindingly trust on 'my location' the app will show on map, but rather type the place you actually are at the 'from' field and make sure that app displays it correctly. This will minimize potential confusion because for example in 90% of cases my phone's GPS showing location across the street.

3. When picking up the car at the airport, pay close attention near which pillar you are (at least Uber will ask you to choose the one you will be waiting) so the car can come there, but if you see on the map that car has stopped and waiting at other pillar, just go there - do not expect that they will come to your location because, as said above, your GPS might not showing correct location. Plus, making one loop at SGN would take 20 min or more.

4. Take approximate time of arrival of the car and further travel time with grain of salt. Especially it is the case for evening rush hour time. If app shows 5 min arrival time and car is 4 busy intersections (where green light is on just for 45 sec) away, instead of 5 min it will take 15 min or more to reach you. Plan accordingly.

5. Before picking up the app (uber or grab) to call the ride, check ride prices via Google Maps. DO NOT do the following: open the app, key in your destination, check the price and if you don't like it - close and re-open it to repeat. Doing so will increase your ride price - both Uber and Grab do this because they know that you've already checked the price for the destination. Instead you can check prices for both apps via Google Maps without getting punished.

6. Grab has slightly more number of cars available and prices are less for the ride when there is no surge pricing. However when surge pricing is in place things can change drastically. At one case Grab was showing me trip price as 80K VND while Uber - 55K. The same trip without surge pricing was 40K on Grab and 45K on Uber.

Overall, quite a positive experience. Just counted - all rides on uber/grab (below) came as 465K, including rides to/from the airport (73K from and 89K - return to the hotel at District 10), appx 40K per ride.

Code:
24 Nov 2017 GRAB *0731406-3-064 VND25,000
S$1.52
25 Nov 2017 UBER BV 800-592-8996 NLD VND29,000
S$1.77
25 Nov 2017 UBER BV VORDEN NLD VND68,000
S$4.14
25 Nov 2017 GRAB *0731406-3-070 VND29,000
S$1.77
25 Nov 2017 UBER BV VORDEN NLD VND41,000
S$2.49
25 Nov 2017 UBER BV 800-592-8996 NLD VND17,000
S$1.04
25 Nov 2017 UBER BV VORDEN NLD VND73,000
S$4.45
25 Nov 2017 GRAB *0731406-3-073 VND45,000
S$2.74
25 Nov 2017 GRAB *0731406-3-065 VND29,000
S$1.77
26 Nov 2017 UBER BV VORDEN NLD VND89,000
S$5.43
And I did not need to deal with explanation where to go, give money, count change, be concerned being cheated, etc.

Last edited by invisible; Nov 28, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.