Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in HCMC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:30 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rjp123
I used UberBLACK a few times in HCMC in January 2015 and one of the trips was unusual to say the least.

The driver (in an SUV) decided to do a wide U-Turn because he passed the address and in the process t-boned a guy on a scooter, crushing the front of the guy's bike.

The driver just drove off (no stop to see if the scooter driver was ok), despite my yelling at him to stop and then took me to my destination (where I proceeded to get out quickly as he clearly was a dangerous driver). Upon receiving my receipt I also realized the driver took me on a bit of a "round-about" route - not nearly direct at all.

I reported this to Uber - I assume they dealt with the driver accordingly.
You probably won't like to hear this - but this isn't uncommon. The worry is not the bike - the worry is injury to the rider and your driver having to bear massive costs over the lifespan of the person he may have injured - regardless of justified injuries or not.
That is why you see the videos of people in China driving over people they have hit a number of times. In their mentality, a deceased person costs less to compensate.
This mindset is slowly changing.

The other thing that happens is that since he is clearly in the wrong, he's probably worried about being beaten up.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by rjp123
I used UberBLACK a few times in HCMC in January 2015 and one of the trips was unusual to say the least.

The driver (in an SUV) decided to do a wide U-Turn because he passed the address and in the process t-boned a guy on a scooter, crushing the front of the guy's bike.

The driver just drove off (no stop to see if the scooter driver was ok),
Well, at least you should give him credit for not running over to the scooter guy making sure that he is dead...

Jokes aside - this is the mentality in third world countries starting from China to and ending up in Indonesia and vicinity. Alive and injured person would cost him way more than payment for his family in case he is dead.

At this moment, take it or leave it - you can't change them in split second, it changes slowly.

P.S. Special warning to Western tourists who think that getting scooter rental in Vietnam (or any other neighbouring country) and drive it around is a great idea: in case of accident you know what kind of treatment (not only medical one) you will get.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by invisible

P.S. Special warning to Western tourists who think that getting scooter rental in Vietnam (or any other neighbouring country) and drive it around is a great idea: in case of accident you know what kind of treatment (not only medical one) you will get.
Just for clarity's sake, I believe invisible is referring to the unwritten rule that the Westerner is always at fault.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Just for clarity's sake, I believe invisible is referring to the unwritten rule that the Westerner is always at fault.
I also refer to the the potential situation that in case of accident other side in a car might decide that westerner is better be dead than alive with injuries.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by invisible
I also refer to the the potential situation that in case of accident other side in a car might decide that westerner is better be dead than alive with injuries.
I don't know, I've not heard any of the same stories coming from Vietnam as from China, where it's cheaper to kill the victim. Then again, I only visit 1-2 times a year (not being snarky), so I may not see the day-to-day developments and changes to society.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Cheapest Uber ride ever. Just took Uber black in HCMC and it cost me 98 cents (22,000 dong).

When was the last time you every got anyone to drive you somewhere for less than a buck.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Cheapest Uber ride ever. Just took Uber black in HCMC and it cost me 98 cents (22,000 dong).

When was the last time you every got anyone to drive you somewhere for less than a buck.
Isn't it unbelievably cheap in VN? Gasoline is more expensive in VN than the US too.

I asked the driver if they are being subsidized by Uber. He said, not anymore, only when they first started in VN. The driver is a former taxi driver and he says driving Uber is much more relaxing, no more fighting for customers with other drivers. Clients are upper class and he no longer worried about getting robbed.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Tried Uber a half dozen more times on my last trip to VN. Basically horrible!

On 2/3rds of the rides I waited for 5 to 10 minutes and then the driver cancelled before arriving.

On the few ride requests where the driver actually arrived, they were 3 or 4 times the estimated time, and they didn't come to the right location. I had to chase them down while looking on the map.

If I were to rate car/taxi service in HCMC, on scale of 10.

Mai Linh or Vinasun 8
Uber 1
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 5khours
Tried Uber a half dozen more times on my last trip to VN. Basically horrible!

On 2/3rds of the rides I waited for 5 to 10 minutes and then the driver cancelled before arriving.

On the few ride requests where the driver actually arrived, they were 3 or 4 times the estimated time, and they didn't come to the right location. I had to chase them down while looking on the map.

If I were to rate car/taxi service in HCMC, on scale of 10.

Mai Linh or Vinasun 8
Uber 1
You definitely ran into some bad luck there. Unfortunately, since the Uber drivers aren't taxi drivers (usually local/long distance drivers for hire), they aren't as familiar with the streets. We got an MB S-Class driver once, but instead of driving to where we were, we had to walk down an alley to get to him while he smoked a cig. Wasn't happy about that and let Uber know, but we didn't want to wait for another taxi or Uber.

Personally, now I would only use Uber if I wasn't in a rush, or going to the airport, or out of cash for some reason.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
You definitely ran into some bad luck there. Unfortunately, since the Uber drivers aren't taxi drivers (usually local/long distance drivers for hire), they aren't as familiar with the streets. We got an MB S-Class driver once, but instead of driving to where we were, we had to walk down an alley to get to him while he smoked a cig. Wasn't happy about that and let Uber know, but we didn't want to wait for another taxi or Uber.

Personally, now I would only use Uber if I wasn't in a rush, or going to the airport, or out of cash for some reason.
I don't think it's bad luck. The service seems consistently bad.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: DL, US
I agree. I just got back from SGN and used Uber a couple of times and it was pretty bad. I ended up just using Vinasun as they take CC as well.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:19 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
With the incredibly cheap price of taxis in Saigon, I don't see any advantage to using Uber.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GB
With the incredibly cheap price of taxis in Saigon, I don't see any advantage to using Uber.
Don't entirely agree. Having a nice ride and the convenience of easy door to door transportation is something I'd be willing to pay a lot extra for. It's just I'm not willing to pay anything for a run of the mill car with a sub-par driver and a sub 50% chance of actually getting picked up and taken to your destination.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'll be using Uber this weekend in SGN mainly for airport/hotel pickup/dropoff, will report back on my experiences. I see the app lists the pickup points at the airport so that's convenient.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I'll be using Uber this weekend in SGN mainly for airport/hotel pickup/dropoff, will report back on my experiences. I see the app lists the pickup points at the airport so that's convenient.
No good with the airport pickup as driver and I couldn't find each other and there was also a language barrier. I even selected the pre-designated pickup 'pillar' but he was nowhere to be seen.

Uber from hotel to airport was no issue as I had the porter confirm my destination with the driver. I guess the issue here for Uber in HCMC is lack of english speaking drivers for foreign tourists, especially for airport pickups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.