Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

One/Two-Night Day Trips from Kaohsiung (Gaoxiong)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:56 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

At the behest of a friend, and because I have no other ideas besides Kenting, what would be some peaceful, verdant suggestions for a couple-days honeymoon-of-sorts from Kaohsiung? This would be at the end of November; I am told that hot springs and mountain villas are pluses.

Thanks,
BmB
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
What you like to do and see?

Kaohsing and Kenting are both southern. So your honeymoon-of-sorts plan is only for 2-3 days?

What interests you most? Are you open to island-wide suggestions, or do you prefer just some places nearby? Would language barriers be an issue? If you share more details, I may be able to come up with some ideas.

November should be a lovely time for travel. Weather shouldn't be a problem since typhoon season will be long gone by then. Unless you get up to the mountains, you probably will still feel warm that time of year in Taiwan. You certainly will have more sun down in the south, compared to say Taipei or Keelung.

Keep in mind certain areas of Kaohsiung have been severely ruined due to the huge pipeline explosion back in late July. I don't know how recovered Kaohsiung will be by November but you better plan accordingly.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
Kaohsing and Kenting are both southern. So your honeymoon-of-sorts plan is only for 2-3 days?

What interests you most? Are you open to island-wide suggestions, or do you prefer just some places nearby? Would language barriers be an issue? If you share more details, I may be able to come up with some ideas.

November should be a lovely time for travel. Weather shouldn't be a problem since typhoon season will be long gone by then. Unless you get up to the mountains, you probably will still feel warm that time of year in Taiwan. You certainly will have more sun down in the south, compared to say Taipei or Keelung.

Keep in mind certain areas of Kaohsiung have been severely ruined due to the huge pipeline explosion back in late July. I don't know how recovered Kaohsiung will be by November but you better plan accordingly.
Thanks for your reply, lin821.

Although I'm asking for a friend, I know that there will be no language barriers, whether in Chinese or Hokkien.

Indeed, there's plenty to see throughout Taiwan, I was specifically asked to find 2-night excursions from Kaohsiung. In other words, he said to focus on southern Taiwan, and within that region, bucolic retreats, mountain resorts and hot springs.

Finally, this will be the Taiwan chapter in a series of honeymoons!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
I cannot vouch for it, but Spring Hill Resort (formerly known as Grand Hi-Lai) was highly recommended by colleagues.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by lin821

I would say no place a tourist (and me for that part, my house is 1km away from) would go to if affected from the gas leak fire (for most part residential street).

As far as honeymoon places, not sure it would be any place in the city. Kenting is a two hour drive would be a nice place for beaches, but I prefer Taitung which is about 2.5-3 hours to the east.

Kaoshuing, is the 2nd largest city in Taiwan, but I would not say its a great tourist city. But that being said, depending on what you like there should be things to do, see and eat.

Some thing of interest, The biggest night market complex in East Asia is in the southern end of the city with many Taiwanese snacks, and other mostly cheap goods. The old British embassy is worth a visit , its on a hill with some nice city and ocean views. The coastline past there is also nice, and sometimes you will see a monkey or two(or more). Chijing Island is worth a short visit, has a seafood street market. You need take the ferry from near the British complex.

The pier two complex is nice, is an old harbor area that has redone into a art center. Old buildings house art displays and some nice places to eat, as well to ride a bike (city has one hour free rentals at most subway stations). Bike is a good way to get around and really see what the city is like. There are many nice cafes and coffee shops on some the small streets within the city, something you would not see on the subway (for the most part is underground).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
November is a great time to visit Taiwan. We found the weather to be really comfortable in November - January. Doesn't rain much and the weather is not hot anymore.

Kenting, I really never liked it too much the 4-5 times I went there. There are some nice beaches but it won't be sunbathing weather when you are there. We went because friends took us there during the summer months.

There were a few nicer resort type hotels on the water. Those were expensive when we were there but those would be more romantic I think.

What about mud spas? Guanziling just outside of Tainan or there are a plethora of other mud spas as well. I am sure there are some others closer to Kaosiung. These are romantic. One we enjoyed had a personal hot spring pool in our own bedroom. It's a real romantic weekend type of place. Not much to do except take walks nearby, dip in the spa, nap, eat and repeat. Usually, these places are located in the mountainside so it is picturesque.

You can find hot springs just about anywhere in Taiwan so it is not just a Southern Taiwan thing but Kaosiung doesn't have a lot of "romantic" spots.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate your replies, Taiwaned, Taipei and gracall.

Suggesting hot springs is right on the money, and resorts with hot springs in the room is even better! Was that Guanzhiling?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I appreciate your replies, Taiwaned, Taipei and gracall.

Suggesting hot springs is right on the money, and resorts with hot springs in the room is even better! Was that Guanzhiling?
For me, if in anywhere in Taiwan for Hot Spring I would choose Ilan and second choice Taitung/East coast for hot Spring resorts. I would not say there are destination hot springs in Kaoshuing area that if I were not living here would go to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.