Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel recommendations: Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A
Hotel recommendations: Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand

we are planning on doing about 3 days each on Taiwan,Singapore,Phuket, Koh Samui, and Bangkok. We are hoping to spend about 70% of our time in semi-luxury hotels (~$200/night) and the remainder amongst the nicest hotels in the region (possibly using rewards too?).

Thanks!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Sep 10, 2014 at 8:58 pm Reason: Split thread from other forum, changed title
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand

Hotel rates in Thailand are so low that in general it it not worth to use points/miles for a stay. Less than USD 100/nt will get you a a prime 5* hotel room in BKK. Phuket and Koh Samui are more expensive (in particular in high season) but still cheap compared to the US/Europe.

Save some points and money for Singapore - there you will really need them, very expensive

Recarding your itinerary: 3 days in Singapore is too much. 1 or 2 days will do. Unless you fly into/from SIN, skip Singapore. Use more time in Thailand. 3 days in BKK is OK but I would prefer more time there. Restrict yourself to either Koh Samui or Phuket depending on the season (not both) and then stay for 6-7 days; With your itinerary IMO you will use to much time travelling around and check-in/out from hotels.

Taiwan: Why do you want to visit Taiwan? If you have limited time for travelling staying in Thailand will be much more rewarding. You can visit Chiang Mai too. You do realise that Taiwan is far away from TH and SIN?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:48 am

Considering paying cash in both countries. Sometimes they are low as $1xx usd
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Hotel rates in Thailand are so low that in general it it not worth to use points/miles for a stay. Less than USD 100/nt will get you a a prime 5* hotel room in BKK. Phuket and Koh Samui are more expensive (in particular in high season) but still cheap compared to the US/Europe.

Save some points and money for Singapore - there you will really need them, very expensive

Recarding your itinerary: 3 days in Singapore is too much. 1 or 2 days will do. Unless you fly into/from SIN, skip Singapore. Use more time in Thailand. 3 days in BKK is OK but I would prefer more time there. Restrict yourself to either Koh Samui or Phuket depending on the season (not both) and then stay for 6-7 days; With your itinerary IMO you will use to much time travelling around and check-in/out from hotels.

Taiwan: Why do you want to visit Taiwan? If you have limited time for travelling staying in Thailand will be much more rewarding. You can visit Chiang Mai too. You do realise that Taiwan is far away from TH and SIN?
Thanks for your input! My girlfriend and I are huge foodies hence the stop to Taiwan

Singapore we are just planning on visiting the night safari, marina bay sands, and my grandmother so I agree that 2 days may be enough. Also, the flight from taipei -> singapore -> koh samui ends up being $200 cheaper than taipei -> koh samui for some reason.

It seems that Phuket would be the better option due to weather, we wanted to attend the full moon party december 6th and somewhat planned around that.

In total, our itinerary is 16 days. We were thinking 4 taiwan, 2 singapore, 4 phuket, 3 koh samui, 3 bangkok.

Although we understand this may be alot of flights, we'd like to see an assortment of places and most of the flights seem pretty near to each other and under <$100.

Now that i looked up chiang mai that looks fantastic as well but am unsure how i would fit that in...would it be too optimistic to take 1 day each off of koh samui and phuket and do 2 days in chiang mai?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
http://en.hiltonhoteldeals.com/discoverthailand

Good deals at Hilton Hotels Thailand.

At Singapore personally I prefer staying at the YMCA on Orchard Road. In-expensive, and close to everything.

Last edited by dd1612; Sep 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by JBG89
It seems that Phuket would be the better option due to weather, we wanted to attend the full moon party december 6th and somewhat planned around that.
Full moon party in Phuket? Is it possible that your refer to the famous full moon party on Koh Phangan? (which is an island close to Koh Samui).

In total, our itinerary is 16 days. We were thinking 4 taiwan, 2 singapore, 4 phuket, 3 koh samui, 3 bangkok.
You are going to have a busy schedule... (IMO too many places = too little time each place; almost similar to ppl from US or Asia trying to do all European countries in 2 weeks )

Now that i looked up chiang mai that looks fantastic as well but am unsure how i would fit that in...would it be too optimistic to take 1 day each off of koh samui and phuket and do 2 days in chiang mai?
If Koh Samui/Koh Phangan is your destination, I would skip Phuket and add 1 more day in Koh Samui and 3 days in Chiang Mai (although air travel between Phuket and Chiang Mai is easy and cheap).
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: most of them
I think it's too many destinations for such a short period of time as well. You'll spend all of your time in airports and in the air.

However, I will stick up for Taiwan which I really like. I think it's under-rated and there's a lot more to it than Taipei as well. The island has a very interesting history. And the people are very nice.

I enjoy Singapore too. I think it gets a bad rap.

Personally I am not interested in beaches and beach resorts. But to each his own.

I like Chiang Mai a lot. But given how much traveling you are already doing I don't think it makes sense to add yet another destination. Perhaps try getting into the generally slower pace of life in that part of the world. Even a chaotic city like Bangkok doesn't go a million miles an hour.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why not Taiwan?

If OP can fly all the way from NYC to Thailand and Singapore, Taiwan is just in the "neighborhood." Not to mention TPE can be an excellent stopover to organize a multi-country Asia itinerary from the States. Visa-exempt entry to Taiwan is just another big plus for OP!

At the moment we are planning on doing about 3 days each on Taiwan,Singapore,Phuket, Koh Samui, and Bangkok. We are hoping to spend about 70% of our time in semi-luxury hotels (~$200/night) and the remainder amongst the nicest hotels in the region (possibly using rewards too?).
Unless you plan to stay only in Taipei when visiting Taiwan, you won't see that many choices for award stay beyond Taipei. The good news is, per your budget, you will have no problem to find accommodations that suit you while in Taiwan.

If food is your pursuit, other than Taipei, I'll strongly recommend you to explore Tainan and/or Yilan. If you ask me, 4 days are certainly not enough to sample all the delicious Taiwanese food. You'll have to come back for more. Meanwhile, you have a big decision to make as to how to split your time wisely:

our itinerary is 16 days. We were thinking 4 taiwan, 2 singapore, 4 phuket, 3 koh samui, 3 bangkok.
The truth is to cover all your targets in 16 days is kind of a rush. If I were you, I would trim down the travel plan a little bit so I might really get to enjoy each destination and spend less time in transit and/or catching flights.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Taiwan is a very nice place.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Some thoughts on hotels

Taipei: Les Suites Hotel, Chang-An Lu location. Small and quiet boutique hotel. Next to MRT station and easy ride to eating places.

Bangkok: Oriental Residences, Wireless Rd - they still may have 2+1 deal going, highly rated by tripadvisor, my wife's favorite in LOS
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:36 pm

Based on my own experiences:

Bangkok: Hansar
Taipei: Park Hotel on Xinyi Road
Singapore: why not Amoy Chinatown? Or Park Royal on Pickering?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:38 pm

Keep your eye on the promo codes section in the hotel deals section in Flyertalk. There is often $40 off $150 with travelocity or 15-20% off codes for non-brand name hotels. Flip through tripadvisor to see the top 20 ranked hotels for the region and see which are valid with the coupon codes.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
Bangkok: Pathumwan Princess Hotel. Near an MRT and in the city centre.
Phuket: This is hard. It depends on your preference. Maybe Moevenpick at Karon Beach. It's quiet, much quieter than Patong, but quite a distance from the Phuket City.
Singapore: I like Sheraton Towers. Near an MRT and there's a food court opposite the hotel. It's near the Orchard Rd too.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Keep your eye on the promo codes section in the hotel deals section in Flyertalk. There is often $40 off $150 with travelocity or 15-20% off codes for non-brand name hotels. Flip through tripadvisor to see the top 20 ranked hotels for the region and see which are valid with the coupon codes.
Can anyone use these codes?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Can anyone use these codes?
Yes, though some are to be used by downloading travelocity's mobile app. You would want to check to make sure the rates are as low as they are on their website before using. You can make individual reservations for each night to maximize the discounts, though I have not gone over 3 individual nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.