Reload this Page >

Din Tai Fung Taipei - Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Din Tai Fung Taipei - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
What sauce?

Isn't this thread about Din Tai Fung Taipei? When did Din Tai Fung use Thousand Island, if ever?

It probably would make much more sense to discuss say soy sauce, among other thing.

Originally Posted by tiblot
Buy some of the specially designed chopsticks, they're sooo nice
In case you are not aware those chopsticks are custom-made and Din Tai Fung has their own chopstick personnel/department/factory and can't keep up with the popular demands. Yes, the devil's in the details. If you read Traditional Chinese characters, this recent magazine article (Feb 2014) reveals the trade secrets w/r/t their hand-picked/sorted chopsticks by staff in lab coats:

走進鼎泰豐中和總部六樓,不難發現四、五個穿著實驗室白袍的員工,手拿著美工刀和磨砂紙、眼鏡就著放大鏡, 仔細趕工磨鏡下的筷子,這是信義店和101店開始使用的「平安筷」。

Last edited by lin821; Oct 22, 2014 at 12:34 am Reason: adding a quote/reply
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:12 am

So gooood
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tiblot

So gooood
You can't eat chopsticks!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I went to Din Tai Fung in Singapore. Their xiaolongbao is definitely worth it.

Personally, I love the restaurant name because it's an awesome pick-up line,

"You wanna DTF tonight?"
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I love Din Tai Fung soup dumplings. I've eaten at Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Kumamoto (Japan) and Bellevue locations. I now know to try it when I come to Taipei. Am I correct in thinking that Park Hyatt Taipei is walking distance from the 101 location?

(For ease in reading, I'm removing the McDonalds special sauce discussion.)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Am I correct in thinking that Park Hyatt Taipei is walking distance from the 101 location?
The Grand Hyatt is 5 minute walk.

Thank you....
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
definitely. It's one of the best restaurants I've been to
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by changey2
definitely. It's one of the best restaurants I've been to
what is your frame of reference? 小笼包 only, or the grand scheme?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I love Din Tai Fung soup dumplings. I've eaten at Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Kumamoto (Japan) and Bellevue locations. I now know to try it when I come to Taipei. Am I correct in thinking that Park Hyatt Taipei is walking distance from the 101 location?

Have you tried the location in Costa Mesa (South Coast), depending on what part of San Diego your in, it could be less an hour drive. Its good place in Orange County, but I still prefer the old one in Arcadia.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:25 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Taipei
Have you tried the location in Costa Mesa (South Coast), depending on what part of San Diego your in, it could be less an hour drive.
We have not. We have been told that lines are 4 hours long. Have you gone? Was that just during opening weeks?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
I have not eaten at Costa Mesa location, and there are lines (not sure its four hours) and I do not like to wait.(in Irvine they are many Taiwanese places I prefer over DinTaiFung ha!) My house in the states is near here, but I have been to ones in Arcadia the most and there is no wait at times. I was in Shanghai this past week, we passed a few and there was no wait (in fact seemed half empty at one, Jing-An Kerry).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Taipei
I have not eaten at Costa Mesa location, and there are lines (not sure its four hours) and I do not like to wait.(in Irvine they are many Taiwanese places I prefer over DinTaiFung ha!) My house in the states is near here, but I have been to ones in Arcadia the most and there is no wait at times. I was in Shanghai this past week, we passed a few and there was no wait (in fact seemed half empty at one, Jing-An Kerry).
That's because we can get much better XLB elsewhere in Shanghai.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: KE/OZ/QF/VA
I've tried Din Tai Fung in Seoul and Sydney. Although food is nice, i am not too sure if it's worth 1hr+wait. If wait is not too long, def worth a visit.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AC/AS
I've been to the SOGO location in Taipei, and the Taichung branch multiple times. Went at 11am, and 6pm, never had to wait longer than 15 minutes.

Their soup dumpling is great, but I actually like their mushroom one more and their chicken soups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.