Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in Phillipines

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UNITED 1K, MARRIOTT GOLD,MILLION MILER
Driving in Phillipines

Has anyone drove in the Philippines, specifically the Manila area? Any advice on extra auto insurance. Thanks for any help.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes, but I drive extensively in many Asian cities on both sides of the road for many years.

If you have never driven outside US it is not recommended. Even for regular drivers in NYC.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:11 am

I've driven in the Philippines quite a few times. It's difficult for a rookie, but depends on how good you are at home in the US. I actually really like driving there at this point.

Basically, go kinda slow and remember bigger vehicles have right of way. Honks mean watch out, not road rage.

I use my Amex, which is supposed to be pretty good from what I read for car insurance, but didn't get any extra coverage. It does take awhile for me sometimes to get the deposit charge back. And one time I had an extra charge on my card a few weeks after getting home, so be diligent.

Anyway, cars with drivers, or taxis, are not very expensive in the Philippines if it's an option and you're not certain about it.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomk366
Has anyone drove in the Philippines, specifically the Manila area? Any advice on extra auto insurance. Thanks for any help.
http://www.discovery.ca/article.aspx?aid=52670
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I have watched a few of the episodes featuring Manila and other Asian cities that I have driven in and IMHO and experience it is made for TV entertainment.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
I have watched a few of the episodes featuring Manila and other Asian cities that I have driven in and IMHO and experience it is made for TV entertainment.
I'm sure there's a entertainment aspect of it but you can see what the traffic is like.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'm sure there's a entertainment aspect of it but you can see what the traffic is like.
Yes, that is Metro Manila at its best (worst?)
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:11 am

Would you suggest a car rental agency?

I'm thinking, better to look/book locally for better prices than the US$300. per week I'm finding on the internet.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by maverick17
I've driven in the Philippines quite a few times. It's difficult for a rookie, but depends on how good you are at home in the US. I actually really like driving there at this point.

Basically, go kinda slow and remember bigger vehicles have right of way. Honks mean watch out, not road rage.

I use my Amex, which is supposed to be pretty good from what I read for car insurance, but didn't get any extra coverage. It does take awhile for me sometimes to get the deposit charge back. And one time I had an extra charge on my card a few weeks after getting home, so be diligent.

Anyway, cars with drivers, or taxis, are not very expensive in the Philippines if it's an option and you're not certain about it.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you can deal with the local way of doing business it would be better to rent from the major Intl chains. I use National in PH.
I also have use service of car with driver referred from trusted source.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Unless you can deal with the local way of doing business it would be better to rent from the major Intl chains. I use National in PH.
I also have use service of car with driver referred from trusted source.

Yes. Thanks you.
National PI is coming in at $40/day. I was hoping something local would be less expensive.

For example in Thailand. Booking Avis online is more expensive than the local deals around $20/day.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
I drive frequently enough in the Philippines that I have a Philippine drivers license.

Driving in Manila is much more challenging than in NYC. Car density is higher in Manila (yes, really), and the drivers are less predictable.

I can't give you much input on car rentals, since I have access to a locally registered car, although I used to rent from a local agency a while back. Local companies are small and their cars tend to be a little older. Sometimes the odometer might read over 100000 km.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:42 am

A Filipino motorist told me a funny story. If the policeman stops you on the road, names your infraction, and then asks you if you have an attorney, that means he is soliciting you for a bribe, because banknotes in the Philippines all have politicians on them, just like in the USA. Negotiations are beginning at this point when you name your attorney. Ben Franklin is an excellent attorney, while Abe Lincoln, who was a high powered corporate attorney (railroads) before becoming a politician, is sadly underqualified.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:55 am

LTO

When I got my drivers' license, I had to take a road test. When my group of applicants got in the car, the man told us it was P 250 to take the test, or P 400 if you just want to observe. The young woman next to me immediately informed him that she just wanted to observe. Afterwards we all got a paper saying we passed, including the young woman who elected to just observe.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
Would you suggest a car rental agency?

I'm thinking, better to look/book locally for better prices than the US$300. per week I'm finding on the internet.

Thanks.
My last time it seemed more expensive than in years past also. I have been using Avis, if I recall, for most of my trips when I rented versus borrowed from friends. But I usually book a few hours before I get the car, due to changes in plans with friends etc., so I don't know the value of booking ahead there.

I would agree probably with Tentseller, for giving my CC and taking a vehicle I'd probably keep to a bigger agency. My concern with a small one would be if something did happen, and then I'm leaving the Phils, and they are left to make repairs etc. with less than certain ways to contact them or dispute charges etc.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Manila really ought to wrest the title away from Bangkok for most hopeless traffic situation. The LRT/MRT is hopelessly packed for where it goes, and just try to get out of Makati around 5 p.m. on a weekday. EDSA can be a parking lot and taxis will take lots of back roads, taking just as long but perhaps being less frustrating. Tourists who don't get hotels near places they want to be generally regret it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.