Wiki Posts
Search

17 hours in Singapore.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

17 hours in Singapore.

Hi
I have a 17 hour layover in Singapore in a few months and was wondering if there are any tours (apart from the free 2 hour one) which will pick you up near the airport?

We are looking for a good half day tour, 5 to 6 hours.

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Since this query pertains specifically to Singapore, I've moved the thread to our Singapore destination forum where it will likely receive more knowledgable attention.

Safe travels!

~Moderator, Asia
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:33 am
uk1
Suspended

Singaore in my view is not a place that a tour will provide any real value. In fact it will be a waste of time. It's about experiences more than spectacles.

A bit of reading, asking questions and use of MRT is the way to go.

If you post the time of arrival, day of the week/date - details of your passions and interests - youi'll get suggestions.

Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: most of them
Agreed. It's easy to get around and just do it yourself. Be prepared for the humidity though!

Take the MRT downtown and wander. Or pick a couple of the top attractions and go see them. I liked the Asian Civilisations Museum. They have a free tour that lasts an hour or so that I found interesting. Or if you don't mind splashing out some money go to Gardens by the Bay and enjoy the pavilions there (or you can wander the outdoor parts for free). I also liked the Singapore City Gallery which is essentially about the urban planning of the city. I spent a couple of hours there and really enjoyed it.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:40 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I agree, just take the MRT into town. If you would liek to take in the atmosphere of the city with some narrated tourist info, the Duck Tours may be interesting as a package with their Hop-on Hop-off bus.

If you are more into local history, the National Museum is a great stop IMO.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:07 am
uk1
Suspended

He/she hasn't been back ....
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:16 pm

I'll resurrect this thread since I have a similar question and I was hoping there would be answers in here. I will be in SIN for about 12 hours next Saturday (arriving at 6AM, departing at 9PM) and I can't be bothered to stay at Changi for the whole time.

So far this is my plan: get the free vouchers, walk to the ambassador lounge and take a shower, wear shorts, get some breakfast, deposit my hand luggage, get some SGD, and take public transport into town. I would like to see the museum of art at the very least.

This should get me to lunchtime: any recommendations near the museum? I guess a hawker centre would be a good idea, within walking distance GMaps suggests the Golden Mile: is it any good? I'm not looking for any food in particular, I guess a nice bowl of noodles will make me happy.

Then, how to fill the afternoon? Another museum? A walk around Marina Bay Sands?

I am planning to go back to the airport around 5pm, so that I will have time to take a look around, probably will need another shower, and grab a bite before boarding (and hopefully sleep on my way to NZ).

Thank you for all your suggestions!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The bum-boat rides on the river are a pleasant way to while away an hour or so.

Follow that with a beer at Clarke/Boat Quay. Not cheap, but relaxing.

If the visibility is good you could take a whirl on the Singapore Flyer.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The bum-boat rides on the river are a pleasant way to while away an hour or so.

Follow that with a beer at Clarke/Boat Quay. Not cheap, but relaxing.

If the visibility is good you could take a whirl on the Singapore Flyer.
Re: Boat rides. Don't take the $20+ "tour". Make sure you ask and insist on the $3 "taxi" ticket. No announcer, but pretty much the same ride.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:08 am

Thank you! I'll wander in that area and see what's available. I am a little terrified of the weather, but hopefully it won't be too bad!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SirJman
Re: Boat rides. Don't take the $20+ "tour". Make sure you ask and insist on the $3 "taxi" ticket. No announcer, but pretty much the same ride.
Thanks for this - obviously has changed since we last did this. Seem to recall it was about S$5 for the tour!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:37 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I'll resurrect this thread since I have a similar question and I was hoping there would be answers in here. I will be in SIN for about 12 hours next Saturday (arriving at 6AM, departing at 9PM) and I can't be bothered to stay at Changi for the whole time.

So far this is my plan: get the free vouchers, walk to the ambassador lounge and take a shower, wear shorts, get some breakfast, deposit my hand luggage, get some SGD, and take public transport into town. I would like to see the museum of art at the very least.

This should get me to lunchtime: any recommendations near the museum? I guess a hawker centre would be a good idea, within walking distance GMaps suggests the Golden Mile: is it any good? I'm not looking for any food in particular, I guess a nice bowl of noodles will make me happy.

Then, how to fill the afternoon? Another museum? A walk around Marina Bay Sands?

I am planning to go back to the airport around 5pm, so that I will have time to take a look around, probably will need another shower, and grab a bite before boarding (and hopefully sleep on my way to NZ).

Thank you for all your suggestions!
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Thank you! I'll wander in that area and see what's available. I am a little terrified of the weather, but hopefully it won't be too bad!
I was at Golden Mile a few days ago ... wish I was back! This is a great center and Thai orientated. It is also next to a housing estate with a very friendly place to buy a beer and chat to locals.

I'd have a look at the Art Museum more closely before you decide and see what is currently "on" - you might find there isn't an awful lot of particular interest. If I could only visit one museum in a short stay I'd make it The Asian Civilisations Museum

This is also a short walk from both the Merlion and Clarke Quay and a 20 minute walk or so from Chinatown which is where I'd head for at lunch time rather than stay around the Quay which is a bit dead and odd during the day - it's a bit like going to a disco before it opens if you get my drift.

The weather is wonderful.

Last edited by uk1; Feb 14, 2015 at 12:45 am
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:30 am

Thank you for your detailed answer, it just came a few hours too late!

I took my time after the shower and made it to the SAM by 10. I actually liked the exhibitions, there were some really cool pieces! Then I wandered downhill towards the water, and in the end I had lunch at the Quay which definitely fit your description of a club a little too early
But I had some nice dumplings and hainan chicken at the only restaurant which actually had customers, and a waitress that did not speak a word of english. I' took it as a good sign. Also I saw Geoduck in person for the first time in my life. What a weird beast.

After that I was totally toast so I came back to the airport and I am now at the gold lounge waiting for boarding. Next time I transit through SIN I should probably pack my swimsuit in my hand luggage and just enjoy the pool!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:58 am
uk1
Suspended

Sorry I was too late ... I simply misinterpreted "next saturday"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.