Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

I am an Aussie, I've decided Indonesia to go teach English,have any advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am an Aussie, I've decided Indonesia to go teach English,have any advice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Even though this is from early 2011, I received it in an email from someone at Wall Street English:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, all teacher candidates are
required to have the criteria listed on the website, as the government of
Indonesia currently only allows us to hire those with a Bachelors of Arts
in English Literature, Modern Languages (English), Education (English
focused), ESL, or Linguistics (English)."

I thought I read that there was a 2-year minimum requirement, at least at name brand schools, then again I don't know the 2014 regulations.

Jaimito Cartero, did you ever teach in Bandung?
No, never had any interest at all. I'm just here because it's cooler than Jakarta, and the macet is mostly on the weekends, when I stay around the house.

I do know quite a few teachers though, and the requirements are a bit flexible, depending on how friendly the school owners are with certain government agencies.

Since most of the English schools are franchised, you'll see widely varying requirements.

At this point in time, I would not choose Indonesia to have a career in teaching, unless it's at one of the high end schools that pay well. Schools often lock teachers into contracts, and then fire them for any or no reason, and tell them to hit the road, and the employee has very little room to do anything about it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since the topic of this thread is not really travel-related, I'm going to go ahead and close it for the timebeing. If the original poster returns with more details to share, s/he may send a PM to a moderator for reconsideration.

Thanks all!

~Moderator

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 11, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.