Recommended Driver in Siem Reap/Angkor Cambodia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold

Hi. I just worked with a driver in Siem Reap for airport pickup/drop off and temple tours. I would like to recommend Mr. Synon Korng, email [email protected]

He was a good driver, fluent in English and gave us tips on the area. He is not a licensed temple guide just a great driver.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:18 am

You might also want to post rates/costs.

Keep in mind most hotels offer free or very nominal fee for transport to/from airport by tutuk, and even the longest drives [to Angkor Wat] by tutak are only a few dollars
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Will keep it for the trip to Angkor. Good to know the rates.
TQ
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dtsm
You might also want to post rates/costs.

Keep in mind most hotels offer free or very nominal fee for transport to/from airport by tutuk, and even the longest drives [to Angkor Wat] by tutak are only a few dollars
You're looking about $4-5 from the airprot to town and $15 from town for a day tour around the temples in a tuk tuk.

Other than guest houses I'm not aware of any hotels which will send a tuk tuk to pick you up at the airport but they will instead use cars or vans. I was quoted $65 for a van from the Hyatt when that same van (give or take) costs $7 as a taxi from the airport.

If included within the room rate that's one thing but I (personally) would not give advice to contract with the hotel for transportation otherwise.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If included within the room rate that's one thing but I (personally) would not give advice to contract with the hotel for transportation otherwise.
I fully agree with you. The prices charged by SR hotels to/from REP airport are insane knowing how close the airport is from the city and the temples. Also there is really no need IMO for this as the taxis are usually nice, clean and professional and for just a USD7 flat fare.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:57 am

Other than guest houses I'm not aware of any hotels which will send a tuk tuk to pick you up at the airport but they will instead use cars or vans. I was quoted $65 for a van from the Hyatt when that same van (give or take) costs $7 as a taxi from the airport.
I was in SR last August for 72 hrs and my 3 star boutique hotel provided free tuk tuk shuttle service, along with complimentary one day tut tut service into town [I of course tip him a few dollars].

And the ride from airport to hotel was approximately 8 km. See my review here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Province.html
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in SR last August for 72 hrs and my 3 star boutique hotel provided free tuk tuk shuttle service, along with complimentary one day tut tut service into town [I of course tip him a few dollars].
That hotel is in an awful location and they need to have a free tuk tuk shuttle to town. If it was only for one day into town (vs 1 day to the temples) then I'm shocked.

That deosn't address your 'nominal fee for transport' (which generally doesn't exist). You seem to have gotten the tuk tuk with your room rate and the point I was trying to get across is anything over and above this typically ends with the guest being gouged.

BTW: Depending upon where you going to town it would have been cheaper to flag down your own tuk tuk than to give "a few dollars" as a tip. Not that I'm imploring you to be cheap but simply indicating how out of place giving a few dollars as a tip is in this scenario.

If the tuk tuk was a day within the temple area then it's a different story.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Prices with Synon:
- car transfer to airport $7
- van transfer to airport $10
- day use of van within Angkor complex $30 (extra charges for outlying temples e.g. +$10 for Roluos Group)
- book a few services and receive a free airport pick-up
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Additional information for Synon

Originally Posted by price123
Prices with Synon:
- day use of van within Angkor complex $30 (extra charges for outlying temples e.g. +$10 for Roluos Group)
Thanks for adding his rates--it is important to note that while tuk-tuks are handy for trips in town and to nearby temples such as Angkor Wat or Angkor Thom, they don't work as well for trips to the airport and trips to outlying temples on dusty roads.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by silver springer
Thanks for adding his rates--it is important to note that while tuk-tuks are handy for trips in town and to nearby temples such as Angkor Wat or Angkor Thom, they don't work as well for trips to the airport and trips to outlying temples on dusty roads.
The airport is very close to city center and the roads are in good shape so it's absolutely no problem to use a tuk-tuk to go to the airport.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
The airport is very close to city center and the roads are in good shape so it's absolutely no problem to use a tuk-tuk to go to the airport.
If you have luggage, a tuk-tuk is not ideal. Especially with more than 2 people....
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:30 pm

That hotel is in an awful location and they need to have a free tuk tuk shuttle to town. If it was only for one day into town (vs 1 day to the temples) then I'm shocked.

That deosn't address your 'nominal fee for transport' (which generally doesn't exist). You seem to have gotten the tuk tuk with your room rate and the point I was trying to get across is anything over and above this typically ends with the guest being gouged.

BTW: Depending upon where you going to town it would have been cheaper to flag down your own tuk tuk than to give "a few dollars" as a tip. Not that I'm imploring you to be cheap but simply indicating how out of place giving a few dollars as a tip is in this scenario.

If the tuk tuk was a day within the temple area then it's a different story.
A $1-2 nominal tip or fee is not out of place.

And we are discussing travel costs, not hotel locations. My hotel is not 'centrally' located but less than 10 min tub tuk ride to town
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Prices with Synon:
I was with Silver Springer and price123 in Siem Reap, and had the pleasure of spending a couple of days being driven around by Synon. He told me that he also drives a tuk-tuk, although this was not priced out separately, as our group's services for his van had already been arranged.

If you are interested in hiring Synon as your tuk-tuk driver while in Siem Reap, I'm sure he would be happy to quote you a fair and competitive price.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prices with Synon:
Prices are standard for the area. Nothing special or out of line...you can get a $7 van taxi from the airport on arrival.

The additional to the Rolous Group isn't bad either. But if he's going to delineate prices then it would be good to know what the overage is to Beanteay Srey among others.

A $1-2 nominal tip or fee is not out of place.

And we are discussing travel costs, not hotel locations. My hotel is not 'centrally' located but less than 10 min tub tuk ride to town
And for a 10 minute ride into town you'd pay $2 for a tuk tuk so your 'free' tuk tuk isn't free at all.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Prices with Synon:
Thanks posting the rates / it provides a good benchmark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.