Wiki Posts
Search

Borneo (Sabah) Tour operator recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; US silver
Borneo (Sabah) Tour operator recommendations

Although I usually do my booking directly through hotels, I am thinking about using a tour operator to ease the transport issues between lodges and then back to Sandakan. I want to spend 3 nights at the Borneo Rainforest Lodge and 2 nights at a river lodge along the Kinabantagan. I would appreciate a recommendation for an operator that you have used and your river lodge experience. Related, I was interested in going to Myne Resort but I have not been able to get onto their website. Anyone been there? Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
FWIW, when I went some years ago, Uncle Tan's in Sandakan was about a third the price of the others. I went in for only one night, but it was pretty eventful, including two orang-utan sightings (high in the trees). Lodging was very basic in huts (more like platforms) with mud everywhere and lots of ants/mosquitoes (everything thicker in Borneo). The staff of five or so cooked up the meal, and everyone wanted on the nighttime boat ride. The guides, with the flashlights, would point out snakes hanging from the trees, etc. Very beautiful swampy sorta place by day or by night.

I took lots of pictures and paid about $56 total. Even if it costs a good bit more it'll likely be well worth it.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Here's some you can look at. I'm planning my trip to Borneo in May 2014 and will be going to a Kinabatangan River lodge for a 2 day stay. I just haven't figured out which lodge to stay at yet. I think I have it narrowed down to Sukau Rainforest Lodge and Abai Jungle Lodge.

http://sitoursborneo.com/borneo/
http://borneoadventure.com/

I plan to put my trip together myself. I'm finding that these tour companies are marking up what they sell 100% I just made a 2 night booking at Mulu NP direct with them. $70 a night for a room in the longhouse. Then I bought RT flights Kuching-Mulu-Kuching from the MH web site for $111 each.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Hows the planning going on?

I have just found this thread and I am planning a 12 day Borneo tour in August.

My plan is

2 days in KK
3 days climbing Mt Kinabalu
4 days in Sandakan
3 days diving in Sipadan.

Although I have nothing booked yet...!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Last year in May we spent

1 night Kota Kinabalu near the airport
morning flight to Tawau
4 nights Pom Pom Island booked through their site
evening flight to Sandakan + overnight
2 nights at Abai Jungle Lodge on the Kinabatangan River booked through SItours
1 night Sandakan to visit the Proboscis at Labuk Bay
flight to KK
3 nights Gaya Island Resort

Borneo is much pricier than other parts of SE Asia, but we have great memories from our trip. We planned our itinerary based on what we saw at Selectiveasia.com, but I prefer to book individually when possible.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold
here's my upcoming itinerary

So after looking at proposals from 2 tour companies, and doing a lot of research, here is the itinerary I put together myself:

5/9 arrive KK at 12:20am, check in LeMeridian booked w. *points for 2 nights
5/11 fly BKI-SDK on MH, 2 nights at Kinabatangan lodges booked with SI Tours, SIA 10 tour, one night Abai Lodge, one night Kinabatangan River Lodge
5/13 fly SDK-BKI-KCH on MH, check in Lime Tree Hotel booked direct
5/14 fly KCH-MZV (Mulu) on MH, check in Mulu Park Longhouse room for 2 nights, booked direct
5/16 fly MZV-KCH on MH, check in Batik Boutique Hotel booked on Agoda for 4 nights
5/20 fly KCH-SIN via KUL on MH booked on Expedia
5/21 fly SIN-ICN, 3 nights stay at Westin Chosun booked with *points

It was a lot of work, and I did one booking every day until all were taken care of. I booked all the MH flights on their web site where the prices were very cheap. The airfares are in MR and the exchange rate now is decent. Use a CC that doesn't have the 3% foreign fee.

If you have any specific questions about any part of this, just ask.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:37 pm

we went with this tour and it was fantastic. our guide was knowledgable and attentive, we were on the 4 day, 3 night Orangutan search tour. it was outstanding really. I did little research as it was a last minute add-on , going to Malaysia, but I decided last minute we had to head to Borneo, and found this tour on-line. we didn't know what to expect, but had a fantastic time. And as it turns out the lodge is featured as one of national geographic's top 50 lodges. The food was good, and accomodations nice, you are completely out in the middle of nowhere, which makes it pretty awesome.
http://www.sukau.com/tours/bb7k-orang-utan-search.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.