Reviews of Four Seasons Bali at Sayan and St. Regis Bali

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

We traveled from Koh Samui, Thailand to Bali by Silk Air/Singapore Air with a connection in Changi Airport (Singapore) on 3/21. We flew business class on the Singapore to Bali leg of the trip (using miles to upgrade) so we could access the Silverkris lounge during our 6 hour layover. After reading about the Changi dollars on this board, we were successful in each receiving $40 in vouchers to use at the airport and we purchased lunch and some stuff at the duty free.

We arrived at DPS and after paying for our visa, grabbing luggage and heading through passport control and customs, we were greeted by a FS Bali at Sayan hotel representative, who grabbed the driver. We had the choice of a few types of toyota SUVs/minivans - the cars are not fancy. It is not the FS Koh Samui where the bottled water has the hotel name imprinted on it, though the car to the hotel does have wifi.

Check-in was completed in our villa. We booked our stay through Amex FHR and we were upgraded from our deluxe 2 level suite to the one bedroom river view villa. The room was lovely - a long entranceway leads to the locked front door to the patio area. We had a large outdoor sectional couch, bar area, large round table with half moon banquette to sit, a large covered daybed, and of course, the decent sized pool. Inside the room, we had a large bathroom, shower, huge tub, big closet, desk, tv, king sized bed.

Hotel staff was very accommodating. We were greeted personally by the food and beverage manager at breakfast and the manager one evening as we walked from the lobby up to the reception to catch a taxi. The hotel car is only marginally more expensive than a regular taxi. Like the FS Koh Samui, the hotel security is tight and the hotel has a good handle on where guests are at all times.

Breakfast was good - included as a FHR benefit. You could pick anything on the menu and the portions are huge. The resort grounds are lovely and there are a number of free activities, including a morning river walk, nighttime dance performance, etc. The bar is nice but drinks are very expensive.

Included in our stay was the FHR amenity of the balinese massage - one for each of us. The spa in the main building is under renovation and treatments have been relocated to the spa villas. At the last minute, the location of our treatments was changed to in-villa due to construction and we didn't catch it on the confirmation card the night before (small check mark noting location which we did not see). So we arrived at the spa villas and then had to go back to the room. Therapists did not arrive until 5 minutes past appointment time and then first had to set up beds, etc. The blinds in the room were not closed so when we flipped over to our backs, it was quite bright at the 10AM treatment time. More importantly, the things we enjoy about the spa simply weren't there - the soothing music, tea, etc. and we did not want a joint treatment in the same room hearing the other be massaged. Since it was "free", I did not address it at the time and the massage was quite nice.

The hotel drove us to the St. Regis Bali for the next part of our stay. Our driver, Korta, also stopped at the Tanah Lot on the way for us. Charge was $25/hour and we were right at the 3 hour mark with the drive from Ubud to Nusa Dua incl. the Tanah Lot stop.

St. Regis Bali - Nusa Dua

We stayed here because the reviews seemed to be better than the FS Jimbaran Bay, and with my starwood gold membership, a good prepaid rate on the website, and the need to complete the remaining 2 nights of the starwood power up promotion, I thought it was a good idea.

I have mixed feelings about the resort - while it was beautiful, you could easily have been in the caribbean, and it lacks much of the Balinese decor seen at the FS Sayan.

Service was quite good - no upgrades are available because it is a higher category starwood property - but the room is well appointed and includes butler service. We took advantage of coffee service each morning before visiting breakfast, which is included in the room rate. Breakfast spread was huge, though staff could use some training as my fried egg came over both times I ordered it, coffee was sweetened after we requested no sugar, etc. You could be specific in ordering, but since different staff brought the order to the table, the orders weren't checked. Similarly, beach staff was poor, particularly compared to FS Koh Samui - lots of waiting for someone to help with getting towels, setting up chairs, nobody coming around to take drink or lunch orders.

We had an issue with the hotel and our starwood points and so they invited us to complimentary tea one afternoon. We had been the day before and so we did not go that day. Our tea that we already had was taken off the bill at checkout ($35 pp) so that was a nice surprise. Lots of amenities for us on our honeymoon - flowers at check-in, flowers in the room, ornate rose petal display in tub, cake and candy in-room, and a complimentary photo shoot and a photo was framed from it and given to us during our stay.

Prices at this resort are very high. Water, which is complimentary in-room and at breakfast, is not included at the beach and the hotel charges around $8 for the same bottle. Friends recommended dinner at the resort and my scallop entree was $21 for 2 scallops, no sides. No problem for the pricing but I would have ordered a separate entree and treated this as an appetizer had I known in advance.

Overall, a nice stay, but beware the high pricing for food/beverages and the indifferent beach staff.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT

Thank you for the review, we are doing the same itinerary but flipped, st Regis first then four seasons.

Two questions:
1) what is this $40 voucher you refer to in Changi? We also have a long layover

2) do you have any recommendations for dinner near the st. Regis? We will be there 6 nights and don't want to eat at the hotel.

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Near the St Regis - there are lots of great restaurants.

I would recommend that you have to go to Bumbu Bali - for authentic Balinese food, Tao for a mixture of Vietnamese and Thai food, Sakala, Paon Beach Club - or Kendi Kunning
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Certain connecting flights have eligibility for free $40 in vouchers from the airport to be used for anything. We were on an incoming Silk Air flight (codeshare with Singapore Air, economy class) connecting to a business class Singapore Airlines flight from Singapore to DPS Bali. We went over to the info booth (they will direct you to the specific info booth that issues the vouchers) and they took down our flight info and passport info, and gave us 2 $20 vouchers each. You cannot get change from the vouchers so if you purchase something less than the $20 you just lose the balance. We used it for lunch and then to purchase some duty free things as we had $80 total. FYI, food in the airport is quite expensive so this is a nice perk. I googled for information but they will tell you which flights are eligible for the Changi vouchers once you are at the info booth, pretty sure you have to be transiting through on a layover and not just departing from Changi.

I think there may be a Bumbu Bali near the FS - it is right where the hotel shuttle (free) into Ubud has its "drop" point. Not that you asked, but in Ubud, we had a nice dinner at Mozaic (tasting menu) as well, and also at a local indonesian restaurant recommended by the hotel.

St. Regis: We ate at the hotel restaurant one night (not the buffet), and then the remaining two nights we spent in the Jimbaran Bay area at Menega Cafe. Basically, right by the FS Jimbaran Bay there is a small area with beachfront seafood restaurants. They all have tanks of seafood and you can select the seafood and they will bbq it and bring it to your beachfront table. Inside seating is also available. St. Regis recommended this one in particular and it was very, very busy - probably one of the busiest in that area. We enjoyed fresh grilled lobster, prawns, crab, grouper, etc.

We had a reservation at Dava at the Ayana resort, but cancelled it in favor of another dinner in the Jimbaran Bay area. The Rock Bar at Ayana is supposed to be quite nice for a drink. You can get a metered taxi from the hotel for around 50,000 IDR and then a nonmetered taxi back from the restaurant area for 70,000 IDR in Jimbaran Bay. Helpful tip: If you arrive around 5:30-6pm, you will have enough time to enjoy a drink and start your dinner before the sunsets over the beach at 6:30. Stunning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.