Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Week in Vietnam. HMC + Danang or Nha Trang?

Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS

Heading to Vietnam for the first time. Going to land at SGN around 6pm, so was going to do the Park Hyatt for at least one night and next day, unless anyone would recommend 2 nights there. Then we wanted to hit a beach for a few days. Was going to the the Sheraton in Nha Trang or the Hyatt Regency in Danang. Originally was going to do both, but I think we would need flights in between and just want to relax on the beach for about 4 days. Any hotel or beach better than the other? Or maybe more things to do in one area than another?

Thanks
Chan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:49 pm

I love Nha Trang! Laid back, cheap prices, good food, nice beach area, relatively clean. The place I normally stay is $11 a night for a double with air-con, so I can't comment on your hotel choices. I've always taken the train from HCMC to Nha Trang.

I've never been to Da Nang
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I love Nha Trang! Laid back, cheap prices, good food, nice beach area, relatively clean. The place I normally stay is $11 a night for a double with air-con, so I can't comment on your hotel choices. I've always taken the train from HCMC to Nha Trang.

I've never been to Da Nang
How long is the train ride from HCMC to NT? Usual cost, safety, etc?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
How long is the train ride from HCMC to NT? Usual cost, safety, etc?
http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

It's around 9 hours by train. I have ridden in the hard sleeper and the soft sleeper because I always took the over night train. Both were great. It cost a little under a half million Dong. There were two rates the last time I booked, a refundable rate and a cheaper non-refundable rate. There's a snack cart, but I suggest eating a meal before getting on the train.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

It's around 9 hours by train. I have ridden in the hard sleeper and the soft sleeper because I always took the over night train. Both were great. It cost a little under a half million Dong. There were two rates the last time I booked, a refundable rate and a cheaper non-refundable rate. There's a snack cart, but I suggest eating a meal before getting on the train.
Thanks, I think we will fly, its decently cheap for RT travel on vietjet. Did you use Vietjet or Vietnam Airlines at all? They ok? Thanks for the link.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
I would choose Da Nang over Nha Trang because there are more places to see around Da Nang (Marble Mountains, Ba Na Hills) and reasonably near Da Nang (town of Hoi An).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Leaning toward s there. Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Heading to Vietnam for the first time. Going to land at SGN around 6pm, so was going to do the Park Hyatt for at least one night and next day, unless anyone would recommend 2 nights there. Then we wanted to hit a beach for a few days. Was going to the the Sheraton in Nha Trang or the Hyatt Regency in Danang. Originally was going to do both, but I think we would need flights in between and just want to relax on the beach for about 4 days. Any hotel or beach better than the other? Or maybe more things to do in one area than another?

Thanks
Chan
where did you end up going????will be in hanoi in october & was looking to go to either danang or nha trang for 3-4 days before heading back home....

Thanks, I think we will fly, its decently cheap for RT travel on vietjet. Did you use Vietjet or Vietnam Airlines at all? They ok? Thanks for the link.
did you end up flying vietjet????they have some unbelievable fares during my travel dates....
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Hoi An is much nicer than Nha Trang. Hoi An is really a suburb of Danang, and has the best food in all of Vietnam.

(if you want crime and a party scene, head to Nha Trang after Saigon)
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
where did you end up going????will be in hanoi in october & was looking to go to either danang or nha trang for 3-4 days before heading back home....
Problem with Danang in October is that's the wettest month of the year (almost twice as much rain as Nha Trang during that same time). The Danang/Hoi An region often experiences flooding this time of year, so you might want to take that into consideration.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: various
I'm with Cyclo. Central coast (including Danang/Hoi An) in October is an iffy prospect. More reliable to pick southern coast.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
Problem with Danang in October is that's the wettest month of the year (almost twice as much rain as Nha Trang during that same time). The Danang/Hoi An region often experiences flooding this time of year, so you might want to take that into consideration.
thanks for the tip....would you suggest nha trang instead????
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:55 pm

Why not flying to Phu Quoc? You could also take a bus/ferry to go there. Thats a really nice place if want the sea and beaches.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: various
Phu Quoc in early October might be iffy as the southwest monsoon may still be hanging around. Late October might be a better bet. Or go further south than Nha Trang to Mui Ne.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
The truth is that you just have to be very flexible in October. Weather is not something you can plan for three months in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.