Search

Taipei airport money exchange

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Taipei airport money exchange

1) are they open late at night?
2) do they give better rates for 100 USD bills or the same as for smaller bills?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Why not use an ATM? Readily available at TPE, all hours.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:27 am

They are open late at arrivals, maybe even 24 hrs. No idea on the bill denomination question though
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:34 am

I don't believe they gave preferential for notes (thats usually SEA).

I do remember the rates being competitive though. Used at a midnight arrival, and a 5am arrival. TPE seems to shut down between 1-5am, so maybe not available during those hours.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Currency Exchange at TPE: Business Hours

Originally Posted by mike_asia
1) are they open late at night?
Originally Posted by FLLDL
They are open late at arrivals, maybe even 24 hrs.
Originally Posted by SirJman
TPE seems to shut down between 1-5am, so maybe not available during those hours.
According to the official website, service hours vary:

Currency Exchange at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:40 pm

<redacted>

Using ATM will give better rates, but to answer the OPs question, there will be currency exchange opened. They will always have one opened to accommodate incoming flights, however, make sure you find it before going thru immigration. There is a duty free store right before immigration and the money exchange there is always opened. But once you go past customs and is officially in Taiwan, the money exchange in terminals do close at night. But there are various ATMs available

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm Reason: redacted deleted post content
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Dilatory and overly personal harsh comments have been summarily removed.

If you feel a post is misplaced, violates TOS or otherwise is of concern, please use the [img]http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:http://www.flyertalk.com/get/forum/i...eport.gif/img] "Alert a moderator to this post" function to alert a moderator to deal with it; please refrain from "vigilante" posting.

Thank you.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I've been to TPE quite a bit (and lived there) so I can confirm there will be always at least one currency exchange open. They all have pretty competitive rates, actually better than you can get in the city at most places. (and if you want to change something other than USD, CNY or perhaps EUR, TPE is the place to do it) ATMs are obviously a good option but many of them outside the airport don't accept foreign cards so beware. (My Standard Chartered HK ATM card is rejected by most Standard Chartered ATMs in Taiwan... and sometimes they even debit my account without giving me cash)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

xie xie
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:40 pm

Remember to bring newish bills there for exchange (if you're bringing USD). They may not accept old bills or bills with questionable serial numbers (Certain letters are sometimes not accepted). At least that's what my wife tells me, as she's from there.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Yes, some serial numbers have been counterfeited in Taiwan so they won't accept those (I don't have a list unfortunately).

Something else to be aware if you have leftover currency from trips years ago. The 500 and 1000 bills must have ~1/4-inch wide hologram strip to be accepted in Taiwan. Taiwan Bank currency exchange window will take the old bills and give you new ones with the hologram strips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.