Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

How much time for HCMC/Saigon?

Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, IHG Gold, HH Diamond

I'm planning to go to HCMC from BKK. Arrive 9:30 AM via AirAsia and Depart 9:35 PM next day. Will this be enough time to see the following things?

War Remnants Museum
Reunification Palace
Notre Dame Cathedral
Post Office
Ban Thanh Market
Thien Hau pagoda
Jade Buddha
Cu Chi Tunnels

Anything else anybody would recommend?
How many days would I need for the Mekong Delta?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:21 am

I've not heard of the Jade Buddha, but yes, the rest is possible for two days.
I think you will hit all the HCMC sites on the first day and Cu Chi Tunnels the next day. The first day in HCMC you will probably want to arrange your tunnel tour.

I would recommend drinking some local beer (I'm assuming that you live in BKK). I like the Hoa Vien microbrewery.

I think they might have Mekong Delta day trips, but I wouldn't want to have to catch a flight that same night.

If possible, stay longer.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:39 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I did a one-day tour through Ann Tours (highly recommend Tony and his crew). Nice car with driver and guide. Saw the following and while we moved fairly quickly, I didn't feel rushed. It was a good overview of sites for someone with limited time. Guide spoke fairly good English and was very knowledgeable about the history of the city.

Opera House
Continental and Rex hotels
People's Party Bldg (Hotel de Ville)
Notre Dame
Post Office
US Embassy
Presidential Palace

Lunch break

War Remnants Museum
China town and Binh Tay market
Thien Hau pagoda
History Museum (quick look)
Emperor of Jade pagoda
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I think you can see most of those pretty quickly. For example, there isn't much to the Cathedral and Post Office. Myself, I spent a longer time at the Ben Thanh market and finding some nice restos to eat.

I have heard this from many folks - the Mekong Delta tour is a literal tourist trap and not worth the time. However, no personal experience at this one.

It depends on what you want, but make sure you spend enough time to "chill" by walking around the streets and stores. There are a ton of shops and interesting stuff to see around the core of Ben Thanh.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tony
I'm planning to go to HCMC from BKK. Arrive 9:30 AM via AirAsia and Depart 9:35 PM next day. Will this be enough time to see the following things?

War Remnants Museum
Reunification Palace
Notre Dame Cathedral
Post Office
Ban Thanh Market
Thien Hau pagoda
Jade Buddha
Cu Chi Tunnels

Anything else anybody would recommend?
How many days would I need for the Mekong Delta?
Stay at the IC and you're just around the corner from the post office and cathedral. You can tick those of your list pretty quickly. Most of the other places are (un)comfortable walking distance (and that way you get to see a bit more of Saigon), or a short taxi ride. Not the tunnels though - and I'm afraid I'ver never worked up the interest to see these, but I do know that you'll have no trouble finding agencies that can slot you into a group or set you up with a car and guide. Your travel budget is the key.

Given that you've only got a day and a half, I wonder if you might be better seeing the easy to visit places in the city, and just having a general mooch around, sampling local food and beverages.

I've no idea where HCMC's jade buddha is.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Oct 23, 2012 at 3:52 am
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:15 am

Although I agree that the Mekong day trips are a bit 'touristy' if you do want an overview of life on the river in the restricted time you have, then I would suggest Saigonriverexpress.

They were not the cheapest, but they don't fill their boats to the brim and packed quite a bit into the day.

As I recall, I Emailed them from the UK to reserve our places and paid in USD after the trip.

Just to add - I think the OP may be referring to the Jade Pagoda.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:47 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've no idea where HCMC's jade buddha is.
Originally Posted by passy777
Just to add - I think the OP may be referring to the Jade Pagoda.
Indeed:

The Jade Emperor Pagoda (in Vietnamese, Chůa Ngọc Hoŕng, official name Ngọc Hoŕng Điện 玉皇殿, "Jade Emperor Temple") is a Taoist Pagoda located at 73 Mai Thi Luu Street, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. It was built by the Chinese community in 1909. It is also known from 1984 by the new Chinese name Phước Hải Tự (福海寺, "Luck Sea Temple" ), and as the Tortoise Pagoda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Emperor_Pagoda

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...ty/A20951.html
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I have heard this from many folks - the Mekong Delta tour is a literal tourist trap and not worth the time. However, no personal experience at this one.
If you've never seen a river, or never seen life on a river, or have some interest to ride a boat in a river, then it's okay. It's a somewhat interesting way to travel onward to Cambodia.

But yeah, not much to see. It's a river. People fish there. Boats ship goods using it. It's muddy. It's wide.

I would say for somebody staying in HCMC for more than a week, then give it a try. It's one of the day trips that you can take from HCMC. It's not that great, but it is something different to do.

Anyways OP, make sure you make doubly sure that you tell your guide/hotel/whatever about your departure flight. I have found the guide people are amazingly accommodating for people's flights.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, IHG Gold, HH Diamond
I've heard that you should use Vinasun taxi upon arrival. Any reason to buy taxi coupon first or use pre-arranged transportation?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
If you have some lead time (a few weeks), I would contact Saigonhotpot for their free student tours - they could show you everything in town. I used them a few years ago, and they're wonderful. This is a group of students (like Hanoikids) that gives free tours in exchange for English practice. Send an email to [email protected]

(you do supply the lunch and pay for taxi fares)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by tony
I've heard that you should use Vinasun taxi upon arrival. Any reason to buy taxi coupon first or use pre-arranged transportation?
Reading online, they do say that some companies are better than others.
I got scammed at the airport on first arrival. I didnt go to the taxi stand and just grabbed a random taxi parked outside the arrivals door. Lost out on a lot of money (relatively). I would imagine that pre-arranged would be fine, otherwise, just make sure you get a taxi from the official taxi stand. There's a queue for you to stand in. When you walk out of the arrival doors, I think it's to the left about 20 yards (going from memory). There is a sign outside. Of course I'm talking about international arrivals. I've never flown domestically in the Nam.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Vinasun are pretty reliable. There are some others that are good too - I like the yellow Vinasun taxis (looking more bashed up these days) and Mailinh group. Dodgy ones often have generic names or look-a-like logos. After a while you soon begin to recognise the reliable ones.

If coming out of a tourist spot, it's worth walking a block and picking up a taxi that's on the move. The dodgy ones often focus on well known tourist places. Any half decent restaurant/hotel/expat bar will happily call a taxi for you and don't hesitate to specify your favourite company.

No need to tip, but rounding up is usual. Taxi drivers love not to have small change. So split large notes in shops/bars etc so you don't run short.

Back to the airport - if you have VN dong cash and have your hotel/address written down, then no need to buy a coupon. Make sure they start the meter. You have to add the amount of the toll on exist (can't remember - VND5000? VND10000?). If you get into a dispute, just ask the hotel on arrival to deal with it.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:33 pm

Article on taxi scams in Saigon. Good info for the first time visitor.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/spe...ssengers-.html

Last edited by SaigonCyclo; Oct 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I really enjoyed my day trip Mekong Delta tour.

Don't know if thats the same as being talked about; I did mine with private car and driver. Trip on a big boat, followed by short trip on a longboat, fruit farm with big snakes, nice lunch, a temple along the way. Definitely very interesting scenery.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by beachfan
I really enjoyed my day trip Mekong Delta tour.

Don't know if thats the same as being talked about; I did mine with private car and driver. Trip on a big boat, followed by short trip on a longboat, fruit farm with big snakes, nice lunch, a temple along the way. Definitely very interesting scenery.
I loved mine as well, would be happy to do it again - sounded like much the same tour as yours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.