Search

Can't decide between Hong Kong or Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:34 am
duo
Original Poster

Question Can't decide between Hong Kong or Japan

Hi,

Been looking to book my vacaction for October but cannot decide where to go. Had initially decided up Japan, visited there a couple of years ago (Stayed at Conrad) and it was just THE best holiday ever. Loved everything about it, Hotel was exceptional, ANA flight the best (free upgrade) and the people were so politie. Stayed 8 days and it was the most relaxing holiday I've ever had as such had always planned to go back.

Was in the process of booking my trip to go back (Hilton Tokyo this time as Conrad price was high) but then a friend mentioned Hong Kong to me. And the more I thought about it, and the more I looked into it the more it appealed. Since I was going to be spending so much on a holiday, why not go somewhere new? The trip was going to be more expensive, iro £700 more for hotel/flight between two but I thought it'd be a new adventure.

However, in the back of my mind I still would like to go back to Japan.

I was wondering if anyone has been to both places? If so how do they compare? I just cannot make my mind up. It does seem daft to spend so much to go back to a place you have already been when there is so much to explore.

Thanks ^
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of folks, including me, have been to both.

You can have a fun holiday at either. Bear in mind, however, that Hong Kong is a smallish place, although you can also spend a night or two in Macao. Other than that, as a US citizen, you need a China visa to go anywhere (with very limited exceptions, but few westerners go to places like Hainan island from HK). Chinese visas cost $150+ and take effort to get.

I personally am not sure there is 8 days in Hong Kong and Macao, but if you have 8 days in Japan, there are lots of places to go to other than Tokyo.

If staying on Hilton points is important, you could, for example, fly into KIX and stay at the Hilton in Osaka and commute (it's inexpensive and about 30 minutes) by train to Kyoto and Nara. Or you could go for the Hilton resort in Odawara, south of Tokyo.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't decide between Hong Kong or Japan

I say go somewhere new! Hong Kong is fantastic. I think you could fill out 8 days if you include Macau, the New Territories and even a guided day trip into Shenzhen/Guangzhou. I did that a few years ago - IIRC it's easy to get a package tour visa to go in for the day - the tour company in HK handles it.

Or you could do say 4-5 days in HK and then hop over to Singapore or Bangkok or even Phuket for 2-3 days.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
8 days in HK even with visit to Macao might be long. Taipei can be a interesting side trip.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
As a general rule, all else being equal, I would visit the city that's new to you. I lived in Tokyo during my high school years and return often - my family just returned from a trip there last week - so my bias is to say "Japan!" but, in your shoes, I would try Hong Kong.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:01 am
duo
Original Poster

Thanks Richard.^

That was my concern - whilst out initial base was going to be Tokyo, we'd planned to travel to Osaka, Kyoto, etc as there was plenty we missed on our last trip. In addition we have actually budgeted 11 days, which makes Hong Kong even smaller.

May I ask which you enjoyed more?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
8 days in HK even with visit to Macao might be long. Taipei can be a interesting side trip.
I had just edited my post to add in some side trips - this is a decent choice too (I did it once) though frankly I think SIN/BKK might be more interesting. (IMHO)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:04 am
duo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Or you could do say 4-5 days in HK and then hop over to Singapore or Bangkok or even Phuket for 2-3 days.
Now that is an idea

Or even HK and Japan?

Thanks to all for your replies ^
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:05 am

Definitely not enough to do on 8 days for Hong Kong. Japan would be my vote. Went there recently, for the first time, and loved it. Fantastic place. Much more to do.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I had just edited my post to add in some side trips - this is a decent choice too (I did it once) though frankly I think SIN/BKK might be more interesting. (IMHO)
They are all interesting. With 11 days in SE Asian the choices open up. Beside TPE, SIN and BKK can also be considered. TPE was suggested due to shorter flight from HK.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm happy to spend a week or so in HK, although it helps to get outside of the city at times and perhaps divide the stay among two hotels. You can also go to Macao for a couple days.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:18 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the Destinations->Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:18 am
duo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
They are all interesting. With 11 days in SE Asian the choices open up. Beside TPE, SIN and BKK can also be considered. TPE was suggested due to shorter flight from HK.
Really don't know why I didn't think of popping to other places; it's a brilliant idea

Singapore really appeals - it's on my list of places I have always wanted to visit.

Thanks again to all - so glad I posted this thread now.

^
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:53 am
duo
Original Poster

Can get a flight from HKG to NRT for £212

4hrs 20 on Delta

OR

HKG to SIN for £304

3hrs 55 on United

Now to decided which one.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Really not much contest to my mind. I too vote Japan. Note how many of the posts about Hong Kong actually tell you to go somewhere else...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.