Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Vietnam local airline website like elong, ctrip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Hi. Are there non-expensive flights between Vietnam or Cambodia and Hongkong/Shenzhen/Guangzhou? Could book a flight from Europe to Hongkong for a very very small amount, but I want to explorer Vietnam/Cambodia this time. I know I can go by train from Guangzhou over Nanning to Hanoi, but I dont want to take the same way back.
Cheapest option I found was a Hongkong Airlines flight from Hanoi to Hongkong for 1520HKD. For inner chinese flights I use ctrip or elong, but are there simular sites for Vietnam/Cambodia/Hongkong flights? I dont have fixed dates now, but trip will be over christmas, so I have a lot time to wait for a cheap inner asian flight, just want to book the long hault now.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by 31570324
Hi. Are there non-expensive flights between Vietnam or Cambodia and Hongkong/Shenzhen/Guangzhou? Could book a flight from Europe to Hongkong for a very very small amount, but I want to explorer Vietnam/Cambodia this time. I know I can go by train from Guangzhou over Nanning to Hanoi, but I dont want to take the same way back.
Cheapest option I found was a Hongkong Airlines flight from Hanoi to Hongkong for 1520HKD. For inner chinese flights I use ctrip or elong, but are there simular sites for Vietnam/Cambodia/Hongkong flights? I dont have fixed dates now, but trip will be over christmas, so I have a lot time to wait for a cheap inner asian flight, just want to book the long hault now.
For flights originating in VN, I just use Vietnam Air's website.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:18 am
Original Poster

They want $266 for a flight from SGN to HKG, isnt there a cheaper way? I saw tiger airways, could fly from SGN to SIN and from there to HKG for around $200 incl. luggage, but of course a direct flight would be more comfortable.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'd second the VN website as a good source. Last fall I ended up booking a circle trip hitting many of the places in Vietnam and Cambodia. Once everything got strung toghether it turned out to be very affordable and all non-stop. I had no issues whatsoever once I got to VN with any of the flights or reservations.

It is important to make sure you physically bring the credit card with you that is used to make the payment on the web-site. They are not kidding about wanting to check that.

Oh, and that train trip...make sure you understand what you're getting into before doing it! The People's Reunification Express in Vietnam from the border to Hanoi is well let's say...interesting

Have a blast on your holiday!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Seems to be the best option to fly from SGN to CAN and then go back to HKG. There is a China Southern Flight for 1000RMB ~ $160.

Is the train so bad? Did one 32 hours train ride in china with one of the older trains. Will it be worse than that?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:27 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Travel->Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
For flights originating in VN, I just use Vietnam Air's website.
Wikipedia is my go to site. It's fairly accurate but not 100%.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
The problem with the train is that it's not a single train - rather a series of trains, a walk-through border crossing, and another train. Actually, the bus from Nanning to Hanoi is better than the train. Once in Vietnam, the train from Hanoi-Saigon is quite crude, extremely long and none too clean. Vietnam Airlines is the best value in domestic travel.

(at this time, there are 4 major domestic air carriers in Vietnam, but Vietnam Airlines is still the best and the only one I can recommend) Vietjet Airlines is the newest and the one backed by Air Asia. Stay away from Jetstar Pacific until the takeover by Vietnam Airlines improves that carrier.
Old May 5, 2012, 7:36 am

They want $266 for a flight from SGN to HKG, isnt there a cheaper way? I saw tiger airways, could fly from SGN to SIN and from there to HKG for around $200 incl. luggage, but of course a direct flight would be more comfortable.
that's at least an extra 3 hours of plane time, plus layover time in SIN, to save $66.
Old May 5, 2012, 7:40 am

Seems to be the best option to fly from SGN to CAN and then go back to HKG. There is a China Southern Flight for 1000RMB ~ $160.

Is the train so bad? Did one 32 hours train ride in china with one of the older trains. Will it be worse than that?
Guangzhou to HK train is fine. About 2 hours. From memory though Guangzhou Baiyun airport isn't very close to Guangzhou East railway station. maybe 45 mins by subway.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:56 pm

There are generally no cheap flights between these locations.

The cheapest flight I know of is UA between SGN and HKG. Otherwise the HK Airlines flight from HAN to HKG might be your next best bet. But HAN - HKG is a very expensive route considering the distance...(good for redemption on Asia Miles or BA miles though.)

Nothing cheap out of Cambodia since there's limited flights from almost all locations. Maybe some cheap Air Asia flights, but getting positioning flights to fly them nulls the savings.

Old May 7, 2012, 12:11 am

If money is an issue over time, then there is a more adventurous way. Hanoi to Zhuhai by bus (takes a total of about 17 hours through Nanning. Sleeper bus from Nanning).
The bus ticket costs about 360 RMB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.