Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Taxi counter at SGN

Taxi counter at SGN

Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Take Mai Linh or Vinasun. There are at the very left after you come out of the terminal. Both are totally reliable. Avoid the other taxi companies. $10 max.

Uber and walking are the other good options.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by GB
I never change from USD to Dong. From the airport to the city center ranges from $7.00-$9.00 USD depending on where you are going and traffic.
GB thanks. Would they take US cash at 20,000 Dong per $ in case I have ATM problems?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Take Mai Linh or Vinasun. There are at the very left after you come out of the terminal. Both are totally reliable. Avoid the other taxi companies. $10 max.

Uber and walking are the other good options.
Uber is in Ho Chi Minh City? Do they pick up at the airport? I have never used Uber. I guess they will have sign at the arrival, right.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:21 am

Uber is still pretty new here, I think. Someone has a thread about it not far below this one, with a review.

Vinasun and Mai Linh are the better taxis. When you come out of the Int'l arrivals, it is like an upside down T, funneling into one column after two exit doors from the building. After getting out of the funnel, turn left and walk down towards the fast food place near the end of the arrivals waiting area. There is a line of cheap taxis waiting there, and if you're lucky there is a Vinasun or Mai Linh. Each company often has it's own rep, so if the first official looking person points you to Saigon Tourist or another, just say no and look for the guy wearing the Vinasun uniform. Tell him you want his cab.

But they are making things difficult lately, in my opinion. There is a rewards card where you prepay for Vinasun, with a counter across the first few lanes, and if you don't have one of those cards the last 4 or 5 times I've been to the airport (all in the last month) Vinasun and Mai Linh make you wait like 5 to 10 minutes for a ride, even though they have cabs over in the waiting area. Quite frustrating. Just my personal speculation, nothing to back it up, but it seems like they have a deal to focus on rewards customers, while the other companies get the first batch of regular taxi fares. Again, my speculation only from several airport visits, and from relating to a news story I saw about some collaboration elsewhere.

Good news is other companies aren't always bad, I've had ok rides. Most of District One's major hotels and Pham Ngu Lao backpacker area are 150-200k at the most. My biggest issue with the lesser companies is they didn't want to return the change, and suggested I make it their tip.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:07 pm

Thanks to everyone that replied. Your answers are reassuring. Just a couple more questions.

1. How does one get the Vinasun reward card?
2. My flight arrives at 1 am. By the time I get to the taxi area, it will likely be 2 am. What is the taxi scene at 2am?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:16 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
GB thanks. Would they take US cash at 20,000 Dong per $ in case I have ATM problems?
Yes, USD cash is no problem. The biggest issue is exiting outside as there are usually a mob of people waiting to greet their friends/relatives. Don't worry about the taxi, it is fairly straightforward.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by GB
...... Don't worry about the taxi, it is fairly straightforward.
Even at 2 am?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Even at 2 am?
Delayed arrivals of late evening flights are not unusual, so taxis will wait for those late arrival flights, even at 2am...
The arrival hall may be emptier than usual with less family members waiting for friends or loved ones but other than that, you will have no problem finding taxis...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:13 pm

Thank you very much, hxhbk
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:40 am

A couple more questions.

1. Is there a surcharge for pick up at airport or for late night pick up such as 2 AM pick up?

2. Is the approximate price of $10 per person price or per taxi?

Many thanks again.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
A couple more questions.

1. Is there a surcharge for pick up at airport or for late night pick up such as 2 AM pick up?

2. Is the approximate price of $10 per person price or per taxi?

Many thanks again.
1. I am not aware of any surcharge for late night pickup. I highly doubt that there will be.
2. Price is per cab, not per person. 10 USD is the upper range, Normal fare is about 7 USD (VND 150,000).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
Uber is in Ho Chi Minh City? Do they pick up at the airport? I have never used Uber. I guess they will have sign at the arrival, right.
I don't think they'll have a sign. I think it is the same as the Uber service in US - you'll see the driver name, pic and license plate on your app. I did a fare estimate and it is about $7-$10USD from SGN to District 1.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I and my wife are going to our first trip to HCMC in three weeks. After reading scams section on wikitravel - hotestly it was not reassuring.

However after reading the thread seems things could work fine if one is informed and does homework. I still have some questions:

- did anyone have experience with rigged meter with Vinasun?
- as it was mentioned that max fare should be $10 or 20K VND, what is the right course of action if one encounters the taxi with rigged meter?
- do you need to have exact change? Last week in Indonesia driver said that did not have change and took off with 40% more over the metered fare. It was just $5 which I would give him as a tip but I really do not like to be cheated.
- related to the previous question - is it better to have VND or USD?
- how about the return trip to the airport?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I've only once had a dodgy Mai Linh taxi in hundreds of rides. Refused to use the meter and quoted 5x the price - we got out immediately. No dodgy Vinasun. (More than once almost got conned by a similar-but-not-real ripoff "Mai Linh" taxi from the street, but chances of finding one of those at the airport is low).

If in doubt in town, get a taxi from one of the main companies at a bigger hotel.

You don't need exact change but trying to pay a 200k fare with a 500k note may well get you a shrug. Try to break notes or better still, use one of the ATMs that gives 200k notes and/or buy some water or a SIM card in the airport.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:22 am

Use VND not dollars. Not really any reason not to have VND, there are ATMs and money changers in the airport, and you will need it in Vietnam. It's much less tempting for anyone to see you breaking out a wallet with some 500k bills in it than for a couple hundos sticking out.

$10 is 200k, not 20k.

The "no change" or suggesting you give them the change as the tip is the biggest issue I've run into with taxis. Going from the airport to the city is not really a big deal, I wouldn't be concerned. If they take you anywhere out of the way first, you might pay a few dollars more, not like they're gonna get you for 50 bucks. As much as "the principle of it" makes us anxious, it's not worth worrying about for 4 months leading up to a vacation or trip. Really pretty simple. Get some VND, buy a water as suggested to break your 500k bill, and make sure you get in Vinasun or Mai Linh. You'll arrive at your hotel 15-30 minutes later and down 150-200k. As my local car salesman says, I guarantee it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.