Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 week Asia trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Beijing, Hong Kong, Bali or Vietnam

I am looking for advice on a 2 week trip to Asia I am planning.
We want to spend 4 days in Beijing and 4 days in Hong Kong and the remainder of the trip in either Bali or Vietnam. What order would you recommend we do things in (we are travelling from Toronto). If we only have 4 days for Bali or Vietnam is one more practical than the other? We would also be open to Phuket or another beach destination.

Last edited by lneate; Mar 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: various
Time of year for this trip?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

We would be going in May
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Bali is a long way from Hong Kong and I'm not sure if there are any direct flights. I would be a long detour for just 4 days - so Vietnam probably makes more sense.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
I agree with Camflyer, Bali is several hours flight apart from HKG. To minimize the time spent on a plane, you could always fly from HKG to Hanoi and visit Halong Bay. But then again you mentioned you would prefer a beach destination.

I don't know about the cost or schedules, but I believe there are direct connections from HKG to at least HKT and CEB. There is also service to Denpasar by CX and GA in case Bali is your choice. How about Okinawa? (never been there myself)
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by lneate
If we only have 4 days for Bali or Vietnam is one more practical than the other? We would also be open to Phuket or another beach destination.
What sort of quality are you looking for this segment ? Resort style or Bungalow ?
If you looking at Veitnam, Phu Quoc could interest you (another 1 hour flight from Ho Chi Minh), but a unique destination (bottom end)
Phuket, good beaches, good quality resorts but a lengthy bus trip from the airport (top end).
Bali, has the spectrum of choices, but as stated, probably 3 hours extra flying time.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:36 am

There are direct flights between all the cities, except between Bali and Vietnam. If you're trying to save money you would just have to start pricing out all those flights. If you're after beach destination, you'll have to travel outside of the big cities in Vietnam. Also, I'm not sure about the weather in those places during that time. Other posters can give much more detailed weather advice about the rain, typhoons and sea churning.

I've never been to Bali, but I have enjoyed my time in Vietnam. I generally don't recommend Vietnam to first time Asia visitors (I dont know if you are), but if you're doing Beijing and Hong Kong, I think you would be ok in Vietnam. Phuket has more modern amenities if that's what you're after. Again, I can't comment on Bali as I've never been there.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: various
I'm not getting the math with the 2 weeks. Does that include the long-haul flights Toronto to/from Asia? With a useable total of 12 days?

If you have a useable total of 14 days (long-haul flights outside this time) then I would spend 4 days in Beijing, only 3 days in Hong Kong, and the rest in Bali (which would be about 6 days after subtracting a partial wasted travel day). I think you will appreciate the contrast in culture and atmosphere in Bali vs the Chinese cities. Vietnam is too much like "China Lite" in many ways. And given the visa in advance thing for only a week, I'd head for Bali hands-down.

If you have only 12 useable days, then I suggest you replan this visit as you are trying to cover way too much ground to get Beijing + Hong Kong + beach destination in. Specifically, eliminate Beijing and fly to Hong Kong and spend 4 days, then spend the balance in Bali with a possible quick hop over to Lombok if you feel like it. This will also eliminate Chinese visa logistics/cost.

If you really must do Beijing, then plan a triangle flying to Beijing (4 days), Phuket (4 days), Hong Kong (3 days) with a 1/2 day lost between. Phuket-Hong Kong has direct flights available--use them. Beijing-Phuket in May, you'll need to transit via Bangkok. A direct service was started but only for high winter season. Open jaws back to Toronto. Or do the circuit in the other direction. Not enthusiastic about this plan though.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, NW
Decide what your priorities are. You have only two weeks, or perhaps less.

If it's a beach vacation, skip China and head straight to Southeast Asia.

If it's exploring Asian culture, there is plenty to see and a great deal of variety in China. Until I actually visited China, I had no idea how different the various regions were from one another.

With only two weeks, it's hard to do justice to more than one Asian country.

(At least you're not like the inquirer on another travel board who was planning to "do" India, China, and Japan in two weeks.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.