Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Places to go before/after Angkor

Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

In a bit over a year, I want to take my parents to Angkor Wat since it's a place they've always wanted to see. Plan on using DL miles since ST has good presence there.

We're planning on a 7-10 day trip depending on award availability, but I assume that that's too much for Angkor Wat. My parents are right around 60 and they aren't interested in beachy areas, so places like HKT and DPS are out. I mentioned maybe stopping in PEK on the way there/back to do the Great Wall (China Eastern flies to REP, though the product isn't great, it is a direct flight), but I figure that Beijing is really cold in late-November.

I thought maybe Malaysia or northern Thailand might also work? I'm really not sure about what could fit in that timeframe ... I could always open jaw with DL miles and fill it in with Avios since MH joins soon.

Last edited by amolkold; Nov 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Have you considered Vietnam? I did a few days in Hanoi and an overnight cruise in Halong Bay after my trip to Angkor Wat this summer and thought it was a good fit after the time in Siem Reap. I spent 3 full days just doing temple tours and thought it was the right amount of time, the days weren't too long and I saw 11 different temple complexes.

Singapore is always an option, although more expensive than almost any other place in the region.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:53 am
Original Poster

I actually just went to Hanoi/Ha Long Bay earlier this year, though I know my parents would like it as well. I think they are tired of Singapore/HK since they've seen those cities a lot on stopover tours.

Would northern Thailand be a possibility? I imagine we'd have to fly via BKK, and no mileage airline fly that route. I don't know if they'd be interested in BKK itself.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: AC
Nearby Phnom Penh I think would be an obvious choice. Another option not mentioned yet is Laos.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I recommend Luang Prabang, Laos for a few days. Laos is one of the most laid back countries I've ever been to, and Luang Prabang is the jewel of this country. As much as I love Vietnam, it's not the sort of place you just drop into for a few days. Fly between Siem Reap and Luang Prabang on Vietnam Airlines. Check out Laos here on Travelfish, the SE Asia experts.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Definitely go to Luang Prabang after Siem Reap.
BTW, just a precision : you refer to angkor Wat in your post but Angkor Wat is only one temple. The Angkor area has much more to see than just Angkor Wat. But this one is a must see of course. Enjoy this wonderful place
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Vietnam is a good suggestion. Since you were looking as far as PEK, how about Tokyo? Totally different than SIN/HKG.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: various
With only 7-10 days for this trip, and in late November 2013, I would eliminate northeast Asia including Beijing. In fact, no China. I would also eliminate Tokyo.

IMO, there is not enough time to deal properly with Vietnam, I agree with Daawgon that it's not the sort of place to go with only a few days. I recommend either staying in Cambodia, or Luang Prabang/Laos, or North Thailand.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: http://101budgettravel.com
Smile

Hi,
Angor Wat is the place where I have been wanting to go. I traveled the places of 7 wonders around the world except Cambodia.
As we all know Angor Wat is really huge palace there. Could you please provide any ideas for accommodation, transportation, and any discount airfare deals there can be suggested.
Many Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by backpacker212
Hi,
Angor Wat is the place where I have been wanting to go. I traveled the places of 7 wonders around the world except Cambodia.
As we all know Angor Wat is really huge palace there. Could you please provide any ideas for accommodation, transportation, and any discount airfare deals there can be suggested.
Many Thanks!
It really depends where you are coming from or going to. Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siem_Re...tional_Airport

There are many guest houses and also many large tour group hotels. I would check wikitravel or other guide books for recommendations (since your name implies backpacking).
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by backpacker212
Hi,
Many Thanks!
As a budget traveler, you'd be better off looking for answers on a different forum
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...spa?forumID=24
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Without the exact dates yet (too early to book flights), I can't exactly know for sure. Northern Thailand seems like it could work, just wondering how many days minimum that takes.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If you do the 10 days, you could do Luang Prabang and Chiang Mai. It's a non-stop flight between the two. I enjoyed Luang Prabang a lot, and Chiang Mai is fun and has great accomodations. The Le Meridien Chiang Mai is a steal on cash and points.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: most of them
How much time do you intend to spend in Cambodia? I would suggest at least 3 days. That leaves you only 4-7 days for the rest of your trip. Not much time really.

I think you wouldn't go wrong with either Northern Thailand or LP or pretty much anywhere else in SE Asia. There's plenty to do to cover the rest of your time. Chiang Mai for a few days. Maybe do some days trips out of CM to cover the rest. Or you could go from CM up to Chiang Rai for a couple of days. The Thailand forum has many threads on things to do.

Have you all been to Bangkok? If not that's also worth a couple of days.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold
stopping in China too expensive

With the cost of a visa to China $140 there is no point in going to Beijing for one or two days. Plus, getting a visa to China is a hassle unless you live in a city with a consulate. Stick to countries where you can get a visa on arrival or no visa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.