Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia/Penang

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: united mileage plus
Thanks Sheremetyevo, I saw the Times article. I was so taken by the photo slide show that I followed it up and found that the photographer and his wife have a Penang blog which was quite interesting to read. I'm staying at the Dwell by Palanquinn which has very good reviews. It seems to be between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi near Gurney Drive. I keep looking around for information about practical things so anyone who has advice please chime in. Also, as a good flyertalker I started tracking the Jetstar flight at Changi's website so I could calm my fears of having my flight cancelled (there's only one a day). So far they have been running . . . late .. but getting there. I love indian food so will happily enjoy the food in Little India. Thanks again.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: Qatar Gold
There is plenty to see in the historic heart of Georgetown. Notably the area around Fort Cornwallis, the padang (old sports field), Chulia St and Campbell St.

If you like old colonial buildings go have brunch or dinner in the E&O hotel http://www.eohotels.com/ its fantastic (and not too exp)

The real joy is that they havent bulldozed their heritage at the expense of modernity (i.e. certain parts of Singapore)
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:00 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Lounge Expert
....If you like old colonial buildings go have brunch or dinner in the E&O hotel http://www.eohotels.com/ its fantastic (and not too exp)....
As Noel Coward, who stayed at the E&O, famously said, "Malaya is a first- rate country for second-rate people”.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
...mad dogs and Englishmen in the midday sun, was another line, he did love the tropics
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:42 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
For a taste of the British colonial period it is hard to beat Somerset Maugham, another E&O guest, and particularly Maugham's Malaysian Stories is a must read before heading out to Malaysia, IMHO.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Langkawi and Penang make an interesting combined trip as the islands are so close but so different.

Penang is the whole of Asia on one island - Indian, Chinese, Thai, Malay, Indonesian all mixed together with some old Colonial influence resulting in a melting pot of culture and cuisines. Some of the best food in the world but the beaches aren't very good though.

Langkawi is the island where almost nothing ever happens and must be one of the most relaxing places in the world. Don't got there if you are looking for a party but it does have the advantage of being a tax free island so alcohol is much cheaper than the rest of Malaysia.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a choice of Firefly or Air Asia for the flight from PEN to LGK. Any recommendations on which airline to choose? I think price is similar, but I have to go through the booking options to see all the fees. (I will probably have to pay excess baggage)

Also, I'm assuming that if MH goes into oneworld, it won't be relevant even though Firefly is a subsidiary and I am oneworld emerald. (I travel at the end of February).

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:35 am
lpp

Air Asia. I think Firefly uses Fokker aircrafts.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lpp
Air Asia. I think Firefly uses Fokker aircrafts.
Why Air Asia ? There's also the ferry if you want to torture yourself.

Firefly uses brand new ATR72

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.