Search

Thoughts on electronic translators

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thoughts on electronic translators

How useful are they?

(I posted this here because I'm thinking of Vietnam. If a mod decides to move it to Travel Technology instead I won't be upset.)
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If you have a smart phone, just download the Google Translate app (or use the webapp). Don't need to buy a separate device (and I haven't see one, Google included, that can pronounce anything well). It will be good for signs, menus, and other written items.

For data, you can pick up a cheap SIM card for your unlocked device... $2US/mo for unlimited 3G data (throttled after 5Gb), and includes a good block of minutes for phone calls.

If you're sticking around District 1 (Quan 1), you probably won't need it anyway. Enough English to get you by.

One word of caution... make sure you're in a secure, out of the way place before you use your device. Drive-by snatchings on scooters happen. Don't make yourself an easy target... just back yourself up into a doorway or something.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXative
If you have a smart phone, just download the Google Translate app (or use the webapp). Don't need to buy a separate device (and I haven't see one, Google included, that can pronounce anything well). It will be good for signs, menus, and other written items.

For data, you can pick up a cheap SIM card for your unlocked device... $2US/mo for unlimited 3G data (throttled after 5Gb), and includes a good block of minutes for phone calls.

If you're sticking around District 1 (Quan 1), you probably won't need it anyway. Enough English to get you by.

One word of caution... make sure you're in a secure, out of the way place before you use your device. Drive-by snatchings on scooters happen. Don't make yourself an easy target... just back yourself up into a doorway or something.
Interesting, I didn't realize data access could be had for a price like that.

Unfortunately, neither of us have a smartphone. It might be a better option even then, though.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Interesting, I didn't realize data access could be had for a price like that.

Unfortunately, neither of us have a smartphone. It might be a better option even then, though.
It definitely floored me. My cousin is a regional manager for a telecommunications retailer, and I thought it was some sort of employee discount. Nope, it's valid for the general public.

You probably could pick up a cheap iPhone 3G on eBay, Craigslist, or the like.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXative
It definitely floored me. My cousin is a regional manager for a telecommunications retailer, and I thought it was some sort of employee discount. Nope, it's valid for the general public.

You probably could pick up a cheap iPhone 3G on eBay, Craigslist, or the like.
How widespread is the data coverage?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
How useful are they?
IMO, not very useful as the flow of conversation is too quick. Also, I find the "commonly used phrases" in the back of most guidebooks will cover 80% of what you need.

Depending on where you're going in Vietnam, I found virtually everyone had some smattering of English skills (with some being quite good). Even in the public markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.