Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best city in Asia to live as a base for SE Asia travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Pureboy
One thing to keep in mind is that even in "expensive" cities like HKG, weekly/monthly rentals may not be so bad- check out sites like vrbo.com or airbnb.com. And if your board is taken care of in HKG, the rest of the city doesn't cost as much, especially transportation.

I haven't been to KL, but I think BKK, HKG or SIN would all be great bases. I guess it depends on what you want out of a city- SIN is the cleanest with the most English, HKG is dense but modern, and BKK is crowded, noisy, and full of things to discover. Obviously there is more to each city, but the point is you need to figure out what you want out of a home base. All three cities don't have more than a week's worth of things to see, but living there adds a whole other dimension, and I obviously BKK is the easiet gateway to the rest of Thailand, which you could easily spend a month or more exploring.
SIN, HKG, BKK are not cities but airports, none of which are great for long-term residential stays.

And Bangkok certainly has more than a week's worth of things to explore...much more compared to Singapore and Hong Kong. It's just that most visitors don't have time or knowledge of anything but the biggies. It is a dirtier and more chaotic city than the other two, though.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jiejie
And Bangkok certainly has more than a week's worth of things to explore...much more compared to Singapore and Hong Kong. It's just that most visitors don't have time or knowledge of anything but the biggies. It is a dirtier and more chaotic city than the other two, though.
Bangkok has infinite things to do and being 'dirtier and more chaotic' makes it infinitely more interesting.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Bangkok has infinite things to do and being 'dirtier and more chaotic' makes it infinitely more interesting.
Oh, so true!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:32 pm

LOL!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:23 am

Alot of votes of KUL so let me be a contrarian.

BKK would get my vote. In fact that's basically what i did four years ago.

1) 30 days stamped into country on each return
2) great selection of flights to everywhere
3) train to/from the airport
4) centrally located within SE Asia
5) intangibles (food, things to do)
6) much more enjoyable than KUL

If you're working from a 'I don't care how much I spend' position then HKG would be my choice.

Also, let me suggest staying away from Air Asia. They are often not the cheapest airline (even though they are successful at representing themselves that way).
Ive been based in BKK for 14 years and would not trade BKK for any of the other locations. I spend plenty of time in every major city in Asia and BKK for ease of lifestyle, and relatively low cost of living gets my vote.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
No much support for DPS, which I don't understand.

DPS is a cheap destination from Perth OZ. I've visited DPS on some 35 trips. The OP threw it in as a choice.
Why not - if you stay out of the Kuta madness (shoulder to shoulder revellers) it is a great destination and would make a ideal hub.
Here's the plusses
Lovely beaches
Good cheap food - including supermarkets
Many Carriers run flights to/from DPS
Friendly locals (english speaking wide spread)
Quality/cheap long term accomodation (swimming pools/house staff/drivers) - see vbro website
90% Hindu, which among other things, provides a unique culture in that part of the world.
You can get a 3 month visa.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...esia/bali#1187

One of my dreams, is to spend lengthy periods of my retirement there.

Last edited by in2it54; Feb 11, 2012 at 9:33 pm Reason: add vrbo link
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:50 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I think the location is a negative. While many carriers fly from DPS, flights to many locations will be much longer, no?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I think the location is a negative. While many carriers fly from DPS, flights to many locations will be much longer, no?
And paying for a visa upon each entry, for multiple people, adds up.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:27 am

And paying for a visa upon each entry, for multiple people, adds up.
Just get a one year multi-entry visa.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:47 am

Granted, DPS is at the southern end of Asia. But hey, we LOVE flying, that s why we are contributers to this website - 2 hrs to SIN and 4 hours to BKK aint so bad.
You have the choice of cheap carriers, Air Asia, Lion air, Jetstar Asia or the established Asian airlines, Singapore, Cathay, Thai .....and lots of others.
I'm now using DPS as a hub for International travel. I can get from PER to DPS for $500 return on Air Asia in 3:15 hours. Then the worlds my oyster at far cheaper prices than I can get out of Oz.
Yes, the Visa is a $25 pain in the pocket, but once payed I'm in Bali (cheap and restful), and secondly I can make that up easily on any choice of routing out of DPS.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

DPS

And how many hours to Hanoi ?

How are the fares out of DPS as compared to BKK or SIN ?

Are the airport taxis controlled by mafias, and whats the fare like for a short ride out of the airport permeter ?

How are the public transport like, and is it easy to get around the island ?

How is the food in Bali compared with Bangkok, Singapore or Kuala Lumpur ?

How are medical facilities as compared with Bangkok, Singapore or Kuala Lumpur ?

It appears to me you are another Bali obsessed Aussie, nothing wrong with that. But suggesting DPS as a base to travel around SE Asia is pure lunacy !
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:51 pm

DPS is OK

Hey Mario33, I didn't know your well documented hate for Air Asia overflowed into a dislike of Bali.
In 2010, 771,792 Australians visited Bali, along with 700K Europeans and 1.7Mil people from non-adjacent Asian countries.
We are not all nutters......

Back to the OP's question.
A idyllic place to park up, work from home, with the occasional trip (for recreation, with the family) to other Asian scenic/tourist destinations.
Yep, DPS would do that. Air Asia offers good direct flights to 14 Asian destinations (I know that will ruffle your feathers, notice I didn't say cheap, but you can find cheapies) + other Carriers.
Accomodation is cheap and can include driver + house staff.
As for your other objections, once you rule out SIN because of cost, developing Asia has similar issues - medical, visa, taxi, etc
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by in2it54
As for your other objections, once you rule out SIN because of cost, developing Asia has similar issues - medical, visa, taxi, etc
I think BKK is much better suited. It is more central. Excellent health care options. Easy to navigate using public transport. But the centrality for exploring the region makes it so much more logical IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:27 am

BKK or one of the Thai tourist locations

Yes, but would the OP actually choose to live in BKK or one of the beautiful Thai seaside tourist locations - say Phuket or Kosumui.
I reckon he's chasing a lifestyle thing - not primaryily a CBD and airport.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:21 am

Singapore or Tokyo.
I lived in Tokyo for 11 years and there were weekly deals with Travel Zoo that were fantastic.
The other places are OK, but for a high standard of living those two are it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.