Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best city in Asia to live as a base for SE Asia travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jiejie
I hope OP can separate the wheat from the chaff, because there has been some crappy advice given from some posters here, that is unresponsive to the needs of the OP.

I'm absolutely at the idea that anybody would propose basing oneself in Tokyo. I guess if you fly F and have tons of miles and stay in nice hotels for short trips it's OK, but consider:
--Distance
--Paid airfares from Japan are expensive, and having to do it for a family, regularly?
--Do you have any idea how problematic renting an apartment is in Japan, with key money requirements, reluctant landlords when it comes to foreigners, and tiny spaces...for a family?
--Overall cost of living for other daily necessities?
--Visa issues?

Come on people--please before you give advice to others, make sure you really understand enough about a place to know what you are talking about, and how to apply it to the poster's situation at hand.
With all due respect I have carefully caveated every post with a "if budget isn't an issue."

Renting a monthly apartment is incredibly simple.
No visa required from most countries - you can stay 90 days per visit.
Easiest city to get around in.
Best food - by far.
Very safe
Very clean
Very friendly.
Lot's of greenery.
Tons of stuff to do.

As I said, my personal preference would probably be somewhere outside of DPS, but if you are going to base in a big city and spend a fair amount of time there, TYO would definitely make sense (budget aside).

The OPs stated criteria were: "It should be safe, clean and culturally interesting." It did not say anything about cost. If it had said "safe, clean and culturally sterile" I would have recommended Singapore.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:40 am
Suspended

If Singapore is 'culturally' sterile, the same could be said of Tokyo.

And I am willing to give up sushi anytime, but no way am I giving up satay !

I think there is a bigger world out there beyond the boundaries of
Tokyo, which BTW is almost one third of the way to the US from SE Asia
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by mario33
If Singapore is 'culturally' sterile, the same could be said of Tokyo.

And I am willing to give up sushi anytime, but no way am I giving up satay !

I think there is a bigger world out there beyond the boundaries of
Tokyo, which BTW is almost one third of the way to the US from SE Asia
Well you definitely have a point on the satay, but I had a snapper carpaccio with sliced red radishes, a touch of scallions, and a frambroise sauce last night in Tokyo, which was pretty spectacular.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Singapore is far from sterile.

Especially now, many interesting things are happening that weren't before.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
Singapore is far from sterile.
Especially now, many interesting things are happening that weren't before.
Yes I know.

Satay
Crab with black pepper sauce
Formula 1

That's three. Quite a lot indeed.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 5khours
Satay
Crab with black pepper sauce
Formula 1
Singapore has one of the most diverse and interesting cuisine anywhere in the world, you could do better focusing on other aspects of life on the island. When it comes to food, only other places to rival Singapore (and Malaysia) are Thailand and Hong Kong, nowhere else comes close.

Whenever I am transiting through Changi, I usually bypass the free japanese meal at Green Market and head to the Food Court next door. Honestly I don't care much for Japanese cuisine nor do I understand the hype, and Tokyo is one of the very few places where I would rather settle for a burger at McDonalds...

Last edited by mario33; Jan 6, 2012 at 5:00 am
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
This is a cool topic, thanks for bringing it up bazers. I'm doing something similar (wife & kid, and I can live and work anywhere I want). We're based in CEB now which doesn't suit your requirements for a home base. It's culturally interesting (well, to me anyway) but a little less clean than other modern cities in SE Asia.

But someday you might want to make CEB one of the mini trips from your hub, after you get established somewhere. A few of us posted some CEB suggestions here. Send me a PM when you are in town.

In the mean time, I'd vote for BKK just for the food. Lots of good flights, easy transportation in the city. And I've passed through during their "revolutions" before. They have the safest revolutions in this area of the world.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
Originally Posted by jiejie
I hope OP can separate the wheat from the chaff, because there has been some crappy advice given from some posters here, that is unresponsive to the needs of the OP.

I guess that is the beauty of a forum like this. I get advice from a wealth of sources (hopefully) and when you get advice from a lot of different people some of it is likely to be less helpful. I've always liked the bible verse --- in a multitude of counselors there is wisdom. With all of you sharing your tips, ideas and advice I've been able to glean some wonderful things (and can separate the advice which is not useful to my situation). And I am sure this forum will be visited by people after me who are also seeking to explore Asia from a home base. So thanks to all you wonderful travel counselors for sharing.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by RevJim
But someday you might want to make CEB one of the mini trips from your hub, after you get established somewhere. A few of us posted some CEB suggestions here. Send me a PM when you are in town.
Cebu was a great place to visit It is definitely quite interesting, close to many beach activities and the food is amazing. I stayed in Lapu Lapu on my visit, and liked it better than Manila... fewer churches have armed guards there among other things. Cebu is also getting better connections now, with direct flights to even Singapore being offered. Though you need to pay departure tax every time you leave, in cash.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:38 pm

Opinions are like you-know-whats, but I think Singapore isn't the obvious choice it once was. I won't drone on about how boring it is, mostly because the list of things to do, see and experience has shot up over the years.

That said, the cost of living has too. I feel it's becoming the Monaco of SE Asia and I reckon with all that growth over the past 30 years, it's pretty much a climax economy.

Oh, it's an awesome country still, where things work ever so well. It's governed superbly, it's stable, clean, safe and quite comfortable too. But it's also lost its idiosynchratic Asianness, as well as its greenness.

I suggest that KL is the place to be. Not cheap either and there are teething problems, sure. But as a country, Malaysia still has so much growth left in it.

It's also got nature, wildlife, which I feel kids shouldn't be deprived of.

Plus it's got travel options north, east, south and west of it.

In addition, the food there is a notch up from Singapore, more fragrant, fresher, tastier.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
Cebu was a great place to visit It is definitely quite interesting, close to many beach activities and the food is amazing. I stayed in Lapu Lapu on my visit, and liked it better than Manila... fewer churches have armed guards there among other things. Cebu is also getting better connections now, with direct flights to even Singapore being offered. Though you need to pay departure tax every time you leave, in cash.
Yep, Cebu is very much the cooler, more laid-back younger sister to the bigger Manila. We have good tourist activities, scenery, city life, night life, etc., but it's all just a little bit more relaxed. And there are many fewer foreigners here. They love foreigners in Cebu, whereas in Manila everyone is just a face in the crowd.

You aren't kidding about the airport fees. For tourists departing internationally it's 550 pesos in cash. But citizens have to pay an extra 1620 pesos to get out. And us legal residents have to pay that 1620 plus the ACR fee of around 2500 pesos on top of that. So every time I want to leave it costs me over $100 USD in cash fees at the airport*. Ouch!

*Still cheaper than living in the US though. Just sayin'.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bryannn
But as a country, Malaysia still has so much growth left in it.

It's also got nature, wildlife, which I feel kids shouldn't be deprived of.

Plus it's got travel options north, east, south and west of it.

In addition, the food there is a notch up from Singapore, more fragrant, fresher, tastier.
Mind you Singapore is actually sandwiched between East & West Malaysia (and Indonesia). You only need to cross the bridge (and the border ), and many actually live and work on both sides of the border. You are getting the best of both worlds; living in a world class city that is safe, clean, efficient, corruption-free, less racism etc etc but at the same time easy access to the beaches &
jungles.

In the cities itself, Singapore is actually much greener than KL. And older buildings are actually preserved compared to KL where anything old is considered ugly and couldn't wait to be demolished to be replaced by concrete highrise buildings painted over with awlful colours.

As for food, I would rate both cities equally. Singapore however has the advantage of a migrant population giving rise to wider varieties, eg I can find Penang Laksa in Singapore but Singapore Laksa cant be found anywhere in Malaysia.

Last edited by mario33; Jan 6, 2012 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This is a great thread! Lots of interesting suggestions. Based on the plethora of flight options I would say that the options really come down to BKK and SIN. Of the two, BKK will be the much more affordable option and I think a much more enjoyable option for you and the kids.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:51 am

Wait....wait... I've got it.... Pyongyang.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mario33
Mind you Singapore is actually sandwiched between East & West Malaysia (and Indonesia). You only need to cross the bridge (and the border ), and many actually live and work on both sides of the border. You are getting the best of both worlds; living in a world class city that is safe, clean, efficient, corruption-free, less racism etc etc but at the same time easy access to the beaches & jungles.
probably the reason why I got more Malaysian stamps in my passport than any other... Batam is a cool destination also short boat ride from SG, best to go there if you know someone that can take you around. I had some of the most amazing seafood there right on the water with a price tag for four similar to what you'd pay for one in SG. I'm not a coffee drinker but I'm a huge fan of the proper Ipoh Coffee in Malaysia... and durian is great in Johor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.