Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would the APEC card entitle one to faster lines entering Canada if one doesn't have NEXUS (just GE)?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
To ask the question again.

I have found nothing in the laws regulations of other APEC countries that distinguishes between the treatment between cardholders from full and from transitional members of the ABTC program.... which potentially means.

1) A US card ought to entitle you to visa free travel if CBP were willing to submit it to the other countries for endorsement (so maybe the CBP has just unilaterally decided to deny US citizens the benefit of visa waiver when traveling to other countries).... and...

2) Since the CBP is not submitting the card for endorsement, then... US card holders are not entitled to any of the card privileges including specifically they are not eligible to use the fast track lanes in other countries.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I only have options for Print, Replace Card or Add Vehicle. If I log out and look at the homepage
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would the APEC card entitle one to faster lines entering Canada if one doesn't have NEXUS (just GE)?
I have not seen APEC line at CBSA immigration at YYZ T3.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would believe so. In YUL, there is APEC signage on the right leading to the special services desk. The line entrance is by the NEXUS machines.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, SPG LT Platinum(RIP), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
US travelers to get APEC Business Travel Card

I went to the JFK GOES processing center to have my signature taken, and they first had no idea what I was talking about, then once a supervisor?? got involved, they figured out what needed to be done, but none of the Pc's had the requisite electronic signature capturing apparatus attached so they had to first go find it and then they realized that no one in the office knew how to install it. An hour later I was asked to come back another day once they had someone come in and install the signature pad installed onto the PC... Sigh.. My morning wasted...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Ari
Heads up:

As of June 12th, 2014 (today!), CBP is accepting ABTC applications on the GOES website for existing CBP trusted travelers.

I already put mine in and got conditional approval back in less than an hour.
Anyone here able to set out the benefits of getting an APEC travel card?

also, my understanding is that each country has to clear on your application . . . I am guessing "conditional" approval means that you meet criteria from US side, but will need to get approval from each APEC country within the required time frame.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by penlin
I went to the JFK GOES processing center to have my signature taken, and they first had no idea what I was talking about, then once a supervisor?? got involved, they figured out what needed to be done, but none of the Pc's had the requisite electronic signature capturing apparatus attached so they had to first go find it and then they realized that no one in the office knew how to install it. An hour later I was asked to come back another day once they had someone come in and install the signature pad installed onto the PC... Sigh.. My morning wasted...
Experiences like yours remind me not to have high hopes for this program.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by drewguy
Anyone here able to set out the benefits of getting an APEC travel card?

also, my understanding is that each country has to clear on your application . . . I am guessing "conditional" approval means that you meet criteria from US side, but will need to get approval from each APEC country within the required time frame.
Pre-clearance has been discussed last month in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...iscussion.html thread. There is no evidence suggesting that US and Canadian ABTC will be pre-cleared by other countries. In other words, if you normally need a visa, you will need to obtain one in your passport.

US and Canadian ABTC will only give you access to crew/diplomatic lanes and even that is questionable according to another FT member as some countries may not let you use dedicated lane if the ABTC was not pre-cleared (carries endorsement of that country).

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I would have left that out personally as it is not required (I have one issued by a nationality that does not qualify for GE/NEXUS but it doesn't affect my ability to get APEC.)
I'm considering this as further evidence that it is the Canadian citizenship that is hiding the button for for mikef11. Wouldn't be surprise if/when CBSA announces application process open for ABTC, the button would appear. I'm speculating when programming the website for ABTC, CBP forgot about US/Canadian dual citizens and does not have code in place to handle these individuals in allowing them to specify whether they are applying for US or Canadian ABTC.

Originally Posted by penlin
Thanks for reporting it in...

CBP....facepalm

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 23, 2023 at 10:01 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:53 pm

I already applied yesterday and received conditional approval. Next step is to visit Terminal 4 at JFK in near future to complete the procedure.

However, given all the 'uncertainties' re the ABCT stateside discussed here and a sister thread, I wonder if anyone has idea whether it's ok to apply in another country? I also have HKSARS ID and Passport, their application procedure is painless, initial application can be done by mail and from their website, appears to have 'more benefits'.....

Or would a second ABCT raise a red flag with any of the participating economies?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Member

APEC Cards - Now Accepting Applications

HK ABTC requires a bit more proof than US you are "a bona fide business person who needs to travel frequently on short term visits within the APEC region to fulfil business commitments."
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
HK ABTC requires a bit more proof than US you are "a bona fide business person who needs to travel frequently on short term visits within the APEC region to fulfil business commitments."
Yep, went through the HK IS site. I actually do travel extensively in the area on bona fide business and will have a letter confirming the same issued by my HK branch office
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by seawolf
It requires a letter from your employer/client. Nothing to it.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tentseller
It requires a letter from your employer/client. Nothing to it.
If you were applying for HK ABTC and really didn't have any legitimate business and wanted the card for the sake of having the card, you would have to questionably obtain/create proof which is a "bit more" than US CBP allowing self certification on GOES.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I just looked at the fine print and it says that this card is for BUSINESS travelers only. In other words, you are not eligible for this card unless you are substantially involved in trade, movement of merchandise, etc., among APEC countries. You are not allowed to use the APEC card for expedited entry to the APEC countries when traveling for any reason EXCEPT short-term business-related visits.

(Just wanted everyone to know before you drop $70. This program is different from GlobalEntry/NEXUS/etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.