Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Old May 3, 2008, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Most travellers needs visa for Myanmar/Burma. Does anyone know if there is possible to get visa on arrival (Yangon airport)??? Or do I have to apply for this at the embassy in advance?

Thanks
Old May 3, 2008, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Hi, I ve been thru this since I am going to Myanmar in August. There are some online agencies that will arrange a visa on arrival for about $70-$100, but all that I found required you also purchase a tour with them.

There are no government-sponsored on-arrival facilities. Airlines will not board you without a visa or a letter-of-approval obtained from one of the above mentioned tour companies.

I myself, will be sending my application to embassy in Ottawa, I just rang them up and they faxed the forms to me. Cost is $30 plus postage.

The visas issued at embassies are valid for 3 months from issue, with a max 28 days stay
Old May 3, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hi,

You can get a visa on arrival but before you have to send by mail copies of the passaports to the travel agency in Myanmar.
Also this travel agency should send you a letter(by mail or fax) that you will present to the airline which is taking you to the country saying that they are taking care of the visa.

I hope you enjoy the trip. Stayed there with my family last June/July and loved it.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:39 am

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar / Burma (consolidated)

Does this exist?
flying BKK-RGN on air asia
US citizen
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by CLTF
Does this exist?
flying BKK-RGN on air asia
US citizen
The Visa on Arrival program was suspended about a year ago. My understanding is that it has not been restarted. If you are in Bangkok, you can apply at the Myanmar embassy there. The address is: 132 Sathorn Nua Rd, Silom and is relatively close to the Surasak BTS station
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by eastnortheast
The Visa on Arrival program was suspended about a year ago. My understanding is that it has not been restarted. If you are in Bangkok, you can apply at the Myanmar embassy there. The address is: 132 Sathorn Nua Rd, Silom and is relatively close to the Surasak BTS station
oh how annoying. Will skip Myanmar then
thanks though
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
If fly MAI from Siem Repp to Yangon then you can get a visa on arrival apart from that as eastnortheast said there is no visa on arrival at the moment. Hopefully it will return soon.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: OZ*G
There appears to be a pre-arranged visa on arrival option, similar to Vietnam.

Certain tourist agencies offer it for around $70 where you send them your passport details and they will liaise with the airlines/immigration on your behalf.

http://www.myanmarvisa.com/visaprocedure.htm

Currently looking at this option myself.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:17 am

I believe they only had it offered for about 8-10 months about a year and a half ago. After being denied a visa twice at the Seoul embassy prior I was able to make a 5 day trip using the VOA.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hoto
There appears to be a pre-arranged visa on arrival option, similar to Vietnam.

Certain tourist agencies offer it for around $70 where you send them your passport details and they will liaise with the airlines/immigration on your behalf.
I'm going to Burma in a couple weeks with an agency who are doing the above for me (hopefully!).
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:54 pm

Last April, I went on the BKK-RGN air asia and also a US citizen. Got the visa at the Myanmar embassy in BKK the day before the flight. Dropped forms/photos/passport off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. No problems, no passport service.

Myanmar was a great experience and I am glad I went. I might try another trip in 2012.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
can anyone advise if its safe to take kids to myanmar?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
can anyone advise if its safe to take kids to myanmar?
I guess that safety is in the eyes of the beholder. I would not hesitate to take my grandchildren. I have never felt safer anywhere in the world. I would not travel anywhere with undisciplined children.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: various
It's a bit of a paradox that in Myanmar, with one of the most rigid and mean-spirited governments in the world, is also for visitors one of the safest from a lack of crime/watching out for your welfare perspective. And the people themselves are lovely and would give you the shirt off their back to help you out. And still a fairly scam-free country, like most of SE Asia was 40-50 years ago.

However, Myanmar's health care system is essentially non-functioning, so you have to take extra care to watch what you eat and drink, not to get injured, take certain precautionary vaccinations, etc. I would personally not feel comfortable taking a child under age 4 or 5 to offbeat or remote locations in Myanmar for this reason, as in the event of an illness, a sick infant/toddler/young child could deteriorate into a dangerous situation before you could get them out and back to good care in Bangkok. Sticking around Yangon-Mandalay-Bagan-Inle main tourist centers is probably OK if you watch a young kid like a hawk. For kids school-age and over, most anywhere Myanmar is fine. They will need to exercise some discipline and common sense...or their parent/guardian will.

Make sure sunscreen and good mosquito repellent (preferably DEET-type) is purchased in advance and taken into Myanmar with you. For all travelers, not just those with kids. Myanmar has the same nasty mosquito-borne diseases as the rest of SE Asia, just much less well-controlled.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, JetBlue, Starwood
Myanmar visa in BKK

Traveling to Myanmar early March. US visa wait is minimum three weeks, with no guarantee. Has anyone gotten a same day visa in Bangkok for Myanmar?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.