Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Do applicants for Burma e-visa require a letter from their employer as they would with the manual application process?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The website states you can enter at Mandalay in addition to Yangon with a eVisa. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Also - the visa is a 28 day visa that is good for 90 days from approval, correct?

Also they seem particular re the size of a photo. How did you upload? Did you take a picture of a passport photo? A selfie? Resize a photo on your computer?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The website states you can enter at Mandalay in addition to Yangon with a eVisa. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Also - the visa is a 28 day visa that is good for 90 days from approval, correct?

Also they seem particular re the size of a photo. How did you upload? Did you take a picture of a passport photo? A selfie? Resize a photo on your computer?
The validity of the visa approval letter is 90 days,from the date it was approved.It also gives you the actual dates it is valid until. Duration of the stay is 28 days.
I just uploaded a selfie from my computer which I previously used for another visa application (passport picture size). When I took it initially I used the us government passport tool so I did not need to resize it.
I am sure picture of passport photo would work, I tried to scan mine but could not get it to work correctly.
My evisa was issued on the same day that I applied for it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I did a selfie with iPhone and just uploaded directly without cropping or other edits....
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I applied for a family of 5 over the course of about 20 minutes on Monday, man is it tedious to not be able to do a family all on one screen. Anyway, my wife and 3 kids were approved last night, mine still shows processing. Very odd... hoping I haven't done something in a past life to offend the country, as I have never even been there before!

BTW- we snap pics of extra passport photos (scanner isnt working) and then uploaded them and used the website they recommend for resizing. The images were far from stellar after all that processing but seem to have worked ok.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I applied yesterday and paid the $50 using this cropping tool http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...IG_cropper.swf

Still waiting to hear back (supposed to take 3 days).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Even with a visa; E-visa or otherwise, one still has to clear internal immigration when landing/departing Sittwe or Thande near Ngapali, Myanmar's popular beach resort.

Apparently this also applies to Burmese. I was stuck in a 'scrum' of four dozen passengers when I landed at Sittwe. Immigration officers there laboriously hand wrote each foreigner's passport information down then cross checked each other's work. It took a half hour to get through this check point.

Burmese internal immigration; no computers here

Last edited by kamaaina; Dec 10, 2015 at 9:18 am Reason: grammatical errors
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by kamaaina
Even with a visa; E-visa or otherwise, one still has to clear internal immigration when landing/departing Sittwe or Thande near Ngapali, Myanmar's popular beach resort.
Been this way for many years for certain states/divisions within Myanmar. Not exactly relevant for the Myanmar VOA topic, but perhaps useful I guess.
Not peculiar to Myanmar - there are many countries in the world that have internal immigration procedures within the country, eg Indonesia comes to mind
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:08 pm

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma [consolidated]

I was approved and received an email with evisa approval letter.

My friend was approved (logged into the website to see) but did not receive the email with attachment. the website has no link to download. How can she obtain the letter?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:40 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Just applied! Thanks for all the info here!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Approved 4 hours later!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Do I just need to print out the letter and bring it with me when going through customs? I don't need to stop anywhere before customs to get an actual visa sticker on my passport?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:26 pm

You need to print the evisa letter for the immigration and the airlines as well. You will get evisa stamp in the passport and another stamp showing visa validity period.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by kamaaina
To add a few further data points, it isn't only AKY that has incoming and outgoing passport control for domestic flights but:

MDL has them for outgoing flights
HEH has controls for outbound (don't remember if it had inbound but I am pretty sure it did).

Didn't get off the plane at THL but I wouldn't be surprised if there are controls there.

What's more, the staff at some museums and archeological sites where tickets have to be purchased usually go to the visa page to crib down all your info.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Does anyone have any experience using the 24hr transit VOA? I'm planning on doing a day trip from/to BKK. I won't be transiting to a third country so just wondering if this VOA would be granted. It does not clearly state a third country requirement on the website.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.