Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
And the NGO floodgates have opened to all. Definitely time to roam about before major changes propagate all over.
How does this effect NGOs? I was under the impression that you could always get a visa, but now you are able to do some on-arrival process. Another place I read says you still need to register before just showing up at the airport with your passport. It will be interesting to read some trip reports this month.

According to that article, arrivals are expected to be up over 400%. This sounds like a problem with the amount of hotel rooms available. Thoughts?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
How does this effect NGOs? I was under the impression that you could always get a visa, but now you are able to do some on-arrival process. Another place I read says you still need to register before just showing up at the airport with your passport. It will be interesting to read some trip reports this month.

According to that article, arrivals are expected to be up over 400%. This sounds like a problem with the amount of hotel rooms available. Thoughts?
It doesn't have any effect upon NGOs per se. My point is that NGOs have already flooded RGN; I started hearing about hotel shortages mid-2011. So now, with VOA in effect, the NGOs and tourists will combine into a bigger flood.

Changes will come quickly and now's the time to get there. I just hope the Myanmar gov doesn't rely upon the NGOs to do it's bidding to the same extent as in Cambodia where the gov has basically been obviated of a substantial chunk of typical responsible gov duties.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by dsquared37
It doesn't have any effect upon NGOs per se. My point is that NGOs have already flooded RGN; I started hearing about hotel shortages mid-2011. So now, with VOA in effect, the NGOs and tourists will combine into a bigger flood.

Changes will come quickly and now's the time to get there. I just hope the Myanmar gov doesn't rely upon the NGOs to do it's bidding to the same extent as in Cambodia where the gov has basically been obviated of a substantial chunk of typical responsible gov duties.
The NGOs were already there, they could always work in Myanmar, the sanctions were against commercial investment not aid. The hotels are now full of business people starting to flood in.

But ultmately the NGOs are going to be irrelevant to Myanmat. The total aid provided to Myanmar is about USD200 million a year this might go up a bit but compared to USD40 billion of commercial investment it is tiny.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Bump.

Is the VOA working reliably now? I'm thinking of flying BKK-RGN then a few hours later flying out. What is my best recourse?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
Bump.

Is the VOA working reliably now? I'm thinking of flying BKK-RGN then a few hours later flying out. What is my best recourse?
I'm getting another regular visa from their embassy/mission/consulate in the hopes of avoiding a VOA problem at RGN, even as the (pre-arranged) VOA is working reliably for some.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:37 pm

How long does it take to get the visa for Burma?

Trying to figure out the best time to send my passport to DC (I'm not travelling to Burma until mid-Dec).

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Check out the post below, it has good info about visa options.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18892610-post5134.html
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: most of them
Took 10 business days when I got mine last year. It's good for 3 months from date of issue, so just factor that in. If you don't have any other trips out of the country I would probably send it as soon as it made sense with my itinerary.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Trying to figure out the best time to send my passport to DC (I'm not travelling to Burma until mid-Dec).

Thanks!
I just mailed mine today. I will reply back in this thread when I get it back.

Actually, how long are you staying there for? Like Glen said, it's good for 90 days from issue. So if you're staying for just a week or two, I would probably just send it later this month.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:13 am

Thanks for the updates. I'm there for 8 days, so will send it out soon.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I got a visa in 12 days from the Embassy in DC last month I fed exed everything and 12 later it arrived back complete.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Bump.

Stimpy I am in a similar situation to you although I am flying in on TG and out on MH. What did you decide upon then?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lallyr
Stimpy I am in a similar situation to you although I am flying in on TG and out on MH. What did you decide upon then?
First of all I decided to take an earlier TG flight just in case the last flight of the day is delayed and I would lose out on my RGN ticket.

Then I happened to be in Paris and googled the Myanmar embassy and walked over there. It was easy to fill out the form for a visa and I will pick it up next week when I am back in Paris. It costs €25 and for that small price and small effort I won't have any worries about TG gate agents, nor any problem entering Myanmar for a good 10 hours of fun and laughs.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
First of all I decided to take an earlier TG flight just in case the last flight of the day is delayed and I would lose out on my RGN ticket.

Then I happened to be in Paris and googled the Myanmar embassy and walked over there. It was easy to fill out the form for a visa and I will pick it up next week when I am back in Paris. It costs €25 and for that small price and small effort I won't have any worries about TG gate agents, nor any problem entering Myanmar for a good 10 hours of fun and laughs.
I think I will apply for the online visa. $90 it is but I need my passport for the next couple of weeks.

Anyone tried that yet?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lallyr
I think I will apply for the online visa. $90 it is but I need my passport for the next couple of weeks.
FWIW I didn't let them hold my passport. I told them I travel full time and they agreed, just holding my application for a few days til I return, when they will place the visa in my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.