Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Do I need to bring any passport photos or USD when entering? I have an e-visa.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Do I need to bring any passport photos or USD when entering? I have an e-visa.
Same answer for all the countries...if you already have e-visa, no need.
BUT, why not carry a few extra passport photos as a precaution?
Old May 16, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
I have applied yesterday and during Myanmar's night hours the approval was sent in their morning, thus less than 12 hours.

Reminder: In my case Gmail sent their approval to the SPAM box, thus I highly suggest you also check your SPAM.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:06 am

I have a bit of an interesting question (happy to break it out into a separate thread if it's easier). I'm Australian but live in the UK.

You enter your passport issue country (AU) and birth place (AU) but then when entering your permanent address, they give only the following UK options for country:

United Kingdom Citizen
United Kingdom National (overseas)
United Kingdom Dependant Territories Citizen
United Kingdom Overseas Citizen
United Kingdom Protected Person
United Kingdom Subject

The closest possible one would be UK Subject, but even that doesn't seem right (ref: https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ritish-subject). I'm really hoping someone has run into this problem before and has real world experience! The fallback position is to put my parents address in AU but it doesn't quite feel right.

Last edited by flashware; May 28, 2016 at 4:13 am
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:01 am

Just thought I would share some info I learned the hard way. Myanmar has a Visa waiver agreement with many ASEAN nations, but there are many strings attached. One is apparently a requirement that entry and exit are form the same port/mode of transport. My friend with a Philippines passport entered RGN from BKK, but he was not allowed to leave from Kawthaung via boat to Ranong, forcing him to book a last minute flight back to Yangon and on to Bangkok, while throwing away a plane ticket from southern Thailand to Bangkok.

Another point worth mentioning is that one can still acquire a tourist visa from an embassy or consulate for $20, rather than getting the $50 E-visa. This only makes sense if you live in the vicinity of such places and have time to visit. The consulate in LA was the easiest and quickest consulate/embassy visit I have ever made, with no wait, friendly service, and a quick turn-around. I also like having a real visa in my passport because I am a geek like that.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:32 am

Just another data point. I went with the $20 visa option. I mailed in my passport/application/money to Washington DC and they mailed it back 3 days after they received it.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by downinit
Just thought I would share some info I learned the hard way. Myanmar has a Visa waiver agreement with many ASEAN nations, but there are many strings attached. One is apparently a requirement that entry and exit are form the same port/mode of transport. My friend with a Philippines passport entered RGN from BKK, but he was not allowed to leave from Kawthaung via boat to Ranong, forcing him to book a last minute flight back to Yangon and on to Bangkok, while throwing away a plane ticket from southern Thailand to Bangkok.

Another point worth mentioning is that one can still acquire a tourist visa from an embassy or consulate for $20, rather than getting the $50 E-visa. This only makes sense if you live in the vicinity of such places and have time to visit. The consulate in LA was the easiest and quickest consulate/embassy visit I have ever made, with no wait, friendly service, and a quick turn-around. I also like having a real visa in my passport because I am a geek like that.
I got the e-visa and flew into and out of different airports with no problem. Perhaps this requirement doesn't apply to US passport holders.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I got the e-visa and flew into and out of different airports with no problem. Perhaps this requirement doesn't apply to US passport holders.
They were referring to the Visa waiver associated with ASEAN held passports, rather than e-visa.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:45 am

A bunch of fees increased. The wiki only included evisa info, so I added two lines at the end for regular visas.

More info here:
http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/nat...his-month.html
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I'm leaving for a trip to Burma tomorrow--and like an idiot, I just realized that I needed an eVisa. I just applied (Friday at 6:30 PM EST, early morning Saturday Burma time). Fortunately, we have a one-day stopover in Hong Kong on the way there, so we won't actually need our eVisa letter until around noon on Monday. Any chance--at all--that our eVisa application could be processed by then?

I see some posts of eVisa letters coming in fast, but I'm assuming this isn't on a weekend.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH

I see some posts of eVisa letters coming in fast, but I'm assuming this isn't on a weekend.
So, how'd it go?

I have a question: Do I need to have already made a reservation for a hotel when I apply? I'd like to get the visa done, but take my time on choosing a hotel. Is there any reason it would be an issue if I put down the most likely hotel, but haven't confirmed it yet?

Last edited by danielm; Mar 28, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by danielm
So, how'd it go?

I have a question: Do I need to have already made a reservation for a hotel when I apply? I'd like to get the visa done, but take my time on choosing a hotel. Is there any reason it would be an issue if I put down the most likely hotel, but haven't confirmed it yet?
That is not an issue. You could stay at a different hotel and nobody would care.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by danielm
So, how'd it go?
My eVISA arrived within a couple of hours of application. I got the impression that no checks or anything were carried out; it was just a money grab.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My eVISA arrived within a couple of hours of application. I got the impression that no checks or anything were carried out; it was just a money grab.
Thanks! I wasn't so much worried about selecting THE hotel, so much as having one at all. At any rate, didn't matter. Got my visa, as you said above, in just a few hours. So much easier than back in the days of the ex-RGN F bonanzas.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Applied for visa last Wednesday afternoon in-person at consulate in Los Angeles. You don't have to include self-addressed envelope if dropping it off, you can pick it up in person at the designated time.

I got the impression that it was not busy at all. I was able to pick up the finished visa at 3 PM on Friday (less than 48 hour turnaround).

Nothing was checked except to ensure that all of the blanks were filled in and a copy of the itinerary was printed (while I was still standing at the window, which took about 3 minutes to ensure it was all in order). I had a held (not confirmed) reservation for exiting the country and it was accepted as valid for the visa.

Pickup was very simple, about two minutes for the consulate worker to go to a back room to retrieve it.

My 2" x 2" visa photo was squished (not retaining aspect ratio) to the dimensions of the metric photo, then printed out on what appeared to be a laser mailing label and affixed in my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.