Search

Floods in Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Floods in Cambodia

I know Siem Reap was quite badly hit by the rains - but has anyone any current information on any flooding in Phnom Penh?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Areas to the north and south of central PNH have flooded (supposedly) but the main business/tourism areas are still still dry and filthy.

The river is ridiculously high though. Another meter in height and PNH would be submerged.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:45 pm

Although these pics were posted two weeks ago, the river is still at this level right now. http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/phno...in-phnom-penh/
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by giblet
Although these pics were posted two weeks ago, the river is still at this level right now. http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/phno...in-phnom-penh/
That blog post was made of Sept 29. While the Tonle Bassac hasn't dropped perceptibly the flow is visibly, and quickly, toward the Mekong now, whereas, when the blog post the made, the water was 'stagnant'.

I would expect the torrent of water draining from Tonle Sap will cause a fair bit of erosion as the speed picks up. If the Mekong stays high the water will drain more slowly and less problematically.

The tour boats perched just off Sisowath Quay, a few hundred meters north of the main tourist area, have their bows situated above the cobbled riverside walkway. It's a very odd sight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.